KBC Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KBC Tools

This was originally going to be a rant, but it turned into a glowing endorsement.

About a week and a half ago i ordered some stuff for my surface grinder, wheel, dresser, basic stuff. Few days went by, package showed up and im missing half my order. At this point its about 10pm because i work evenings and had just got home, so i fired off an admittedly irritated email asking what the hell happened in a few more words and went to bed angry expecting a response a week later something along the lines of "sucks to be you".

To my surprise though, by the time i woke up the next day i had an email chain from KBC customer support, the first promising to look into it, followed by a cc chain between a few people figuring out where my stuff was, and finally an explanation; half my order shipped from one warehouse, the other half was backordered at the first warehouse and was transferred to a second warehouse, and a ball was seriously dropped leading to A) me not being informed of this, and B) the second warehouse also not being informed.

KBC's staff was completely apologetic and had the rest of my order shipped out that day, and my last few bits and pieces showed up as youd expect. If the story ended there, id honestly still be fairly irritated and would reconsider ordering from them again, but i found out a few days after that that a second package was sent to me as an apology, with a cool little thermos, a catalogue and a decimal/fractional/drill size chart. Nothing huge, but still nice to have come in given how rare it is to have a company actually acknowledge a mistake.

Story still doesnt end there. After playing with the surface grinder for a bit i decided to see how much of a difference hooking up a coolant mister would make, and wouldnt you know it, i have no coolant. KBC had the best price i could find for a gallon of the koolmist stuff, so i figured id give them ago. Midnight order placed, and the next day i woke up to an email from the KBC rep who fixed my last order, letting me know that my order had shipped that morning, and thanking me for my business.

Long story short, im now a fan of KBC. What started off as a pretty crappy experience very rapidly flipped around to winning a customer, all because i was treated as a human customer instead of a number. Nice to see that, instead of the usual brush-off you get from most places. This probably isnt news to most people in the machining trade, but as a new guy i was very surprised

I placed an order for some boring bars and bits from KBC last month. I especially needed a long 1/2" BB for what I was doing. When I received my order, I got everything EXCEPT the 1/2" BB. No explanation, no notification, no nothing. I wasn't charged for it, but the whole purpose of the order was for the 1/2" BB. I was planning on shooting off a terse email asking why my order was shorted, but never got around to it. About 3 weeks later, a charge from KBC appeared on my card for the price of the 1/2" BB. They shipped it to me, with free shipping, and I subsequently received the BB.

The only problem that I would say I had, is that their communication about the order was not good - when I received the first of my order, there was no indication that it was backordered and would ship at a later date. I wasn't busy in the shop during that period, or I might have ordered the BB from somewhere else.

I do like KBC though - to me, they are like the old Enco. They have a pretty good selection of the kind of stuff that I want and the prices are also in line with what I would like to pay!

Comment

As with any large company, sometimes things fall between the cracks and the customer is left wondering what went wrong. I think we've all had issues in the past given enough dealings with various suppliers over the years. However for the most part they all tend to try to some degree, the successful ones try a little harder and that's what makes them stand out.

A number of years ago I had an issue with an order from KBC and brought it to their attention. I was hoping to get at least some sort of half-hearted response by the next day.
      What I got instead was a response within hours from Paula Bass, president of KBC since 1993 and the daughter of Karel Bass founder of KBC Tools!
      Holy cow talk about taking a personal interest in the biz, and my account is just a tiny one for them.
      Last edited by Willy; 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: grammer
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

KBC and Shars are my go to places for tooling

Comment

I haven't tried them yet. Thanks to these 'reviews', I will!

Thanks,
          Pete
          1973 SB 10K .
          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
            I haven't tried them yet. Thanks to these 'reviews', I will!

Thanks,
            Pete
            I strongly recommend it. They seem to have the occasional issue, same as any company, but it seems like the biggest difference is that they pay attention when its brought up

Comment

I was just going through their web site. Good selection of stuff.
              Any problems with them shipping to the U.S.?

Pete
              1973 SB 10K .
              BenchMaster mill.

Comment

It could be at least 15 years since I dealt with KBC. If they're near as good as they were back in the day I'd recommend them. Actually I was surprised to find they're still around since MSC has been gobbling up so many online tool sellers.

My first order was for Polish made Pafana brand rotary broach type cutters. Less than half the price of domestically made cutters. Apparently the line must have been new to them since they called to ask how I liked the cutters. It turned out we had broken a couple of them until we learned to run them with a lower feed rate than American made ones. They replaced the broken ones for no charge and thanked me for the feedback.

After that I bought 4 assorted size Pafana insert boring bars that have been in use since, no problems with them. Checking the KBC website I don't see Pafana brand any more although Googling has lead me to believe Pafana now may be called Toolmex.

Comment

I've used KBC for several years now and likewise experienced small screw ups here and there but they always jumped right on the problem and corrected it with a little bit extra thrown in for good measure. I recommend them because they are as close to ENCO in customer service as we have these days.

Comment

Pete
                    They have seven branches in Canada and the US. Three in Canada and the other four in the US.
                    They have their headquarters in Sterling Heights Michigan I believe so shipping won't be an issue.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Pete
                      I mean, not other than the problem i listed

Shipping is pretty reasonable too, a 1 gallon jug of coolant was only $8. Everything also left the warehouses the day after ordering, so shipping speed was pretty solid too. None of that "2 day shipping, plus the 5 day handling time" crap you can get elsewhere. Course, the stuff i was after was pretty common stuff, but id wager anything they have in stock would ship equally fast

Comment

I'm glad your problem was resolved. I always try to look at these things as being something that is going to happen to large companies from time to time. Most of them are going to take care of it when they are made aware of the problem.

I have ordered from KBC in the past and had no problems.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Excellent information!

Thanks!

Pete
                          1973 SB 10K .
                          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

I made my first purchase with them a year ago,a month later they sent me a coupon for new customers.One was a $100 coupon with purchase over $500,the Hienrich Drill Press Vise was $515 so it turned out great as I applied that coupon on that purchase.It took 2-1/2 months for it show up as the factory was out of stock,they were good to deal with.

Comment

I have dealt with KBC tools for some time, and bought a bit of tooling and acessories from them. Never ever had a problem with them, have spoken to Paula Bass a few times, Very nice lady who knows her stuff! Their shipping i found to be super quick,And if there was a problem with my phoned in order, have had them call, and spoke to a guy who knew what he was talking about. I've even had them call, and suggest another similar product that was a few dollars cheaper. very pleased with their service and products, i recommend them always to others.

Comment

Working...
                              X