Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there supposed to be any relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there supposed to be any relationship?

I have a bunch of 5c collets and various holders for them. Is there supposed to be any relationship between the flats in the collets for square and hex material and the key slot in the collets, also is there supposed to be any relationship between the key in the collet holders and the division markings in spindexes or collet blocks. I am reducing 1/4" hex brass to 5 B.A Hex( 0.193)and have to use very odd numbers in my spindex to match up. The job is going fine now, but I am left wondering. How much simpler would it be with everything always lining up ay 0/0/ Regards David Powell.

Hi,

Short answer - nope.

I've never seen the setscrew slot and a flat on 5C ever match. Cheap or expensive brands.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I reworked my Spindex to be able to put zero anywhere I want it. The indexing plate turns freely on the spindle with the nut loose. I took off the nut and made a split ring clamp collar with 2 dowel pins. The dowel pins are a .001 press fit in the collar, and .001 slip fit in the plate. It's a simple matter to loosen the clamp screws on the collar, turn the spindle to where you want it with the index plate pinned on zero, and tighten the clamp screws.

This way I can index a square or hex collet or chuck jaws any way I want them.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
        Is there supposed to be any relationship between the flats in the collets for square and hex material and the key slot in the collets, also is there supposed to be any relationship between the key in the collet holders and the division markings in spindexes or collet blocks............................................ .........................
        I checked about a dozen assorted hex and square Hardinge 5C collets. Yes, there is a relationship. The hex collets all have the slot aligned to a point on the hex. With the squares the slot aligns to center on a flat. A couple off brands agreed.

I have an index head on a mill. The degree ring is adjustable with a set screw. I suppose I could index the head so the slot pin is up, Then adjust the index ring to zero.

Comment

If you're just making hex stock get yourself a set of the the 5C collet blocks and be done with it. No messing around
          required...

https://www.lyndexnikken.com/5C-5pc-...-1478p1742.htm
          Keith

Comment

I have got almost everything available.

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            If you're just making hex stock get yourself a set of the the 5C collet blocks and be done with it. No messing around
            required...

https://www.lyndexnikken.com/5C-5pc-...-1478p1742.htm
            I have a 5c chuck on a Southbend lathe, a spindex to mount on the bed of my mill, another spindex on a mounting plate with a home made tailstock, a set of 5c collet blocks, a couple of other holders for the mill .
            Unfortunately arthritis makes almost all that I do less fun, so I tend to seek set ups that are easy on my hands.
            Lifting the collet blocks in and out of the vice seemed less inviting than handle twiddling for the 40 bolts needed, so I chose the spindex. Regards David Powell

Comment

Working...
            X