X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worm gear animation

Not sure I've ever seen a worm gear like this:

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.ne...1694/large.GIF

Looks like that recent article in one of the magazines..... he had a similar thing going on his patent app.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

That was pretty cool animation. it's more like a scroll than a worm.

JL....

Comment

That is interesting. Looks like instead of a line of action moving up the flank of the gear tooth you now have a 'point' of action moving across the width. Could be good or bad depending on the application.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Would it work in a real world.?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
            Would it work in a real world.?
            Like lynnl said, it will depend on the application. The design is not an improvement in every aspect. Some, not all. So application becomes important.
            Bill Pendergrass
            Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
            Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

It's bulky and power limited. Other than that it might work for something.

Comment

It's bulky in the X and Y dimensions, but not the Z. So again, if one has this very specific application that's limited in the Z direction....this might be the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by rzbill View Post
                  The design is not an improvement in every aspect. Some, not all.
                  what are the improvements? I see something bulkier that would be much more difficult to make. The gear looks like a straight spur, so the "snake" will only contact it on the corners.....even with an elaborate set up to generate a curve the spure teeth (if possible), its still only semi there on proper contact as the radius of the snake changes obviously as its a spiral. The teeth would need a different profile for each section of the "snake".
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

And bumblebees can't fly.... it's impossible...... proved a hundred years ago. "It will never work".......

As a matter of actual fact, it is already used. Some of the table raising mechanisms for drill presses use something very similar. Before someone points out that theirs does not use it, I will say that not ALL DPs use that, but I have seen some that do/ In that case, the efficiency etc is not an issue, but the turns ratio , relation of parts, and simplicity make it a very workable choice.

Obviously there are going to be reasons to use something like that, and reasons not to. If the reasons for it are more compelling in a situation, you may use it. The argument about tooth form is not a good one, as any tooth form can be used to make the two elements.

The rest are situation-specific reasons not to use it, which may be canceled out by a particular need or specific physical configuration that leaves just that relation between shafts, with a need for a ratio in one step that can be provided by the particular construction.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

You'd make it by using the spur as a hob. You'd have to angle the spur teeth, but then the hob would impart the change of profile while cutting.

You'd have to relieve the spur a little, and this would mean contact only on the leading (cutting) edge, as McGyver said.

But then to avoid more hobbing action during use, you'd have to soften the edge of the spur, and that would introduce more backlash...

But I like it - helluva ratio, for little work.
                      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                        And bumblebees can't fly.... it's impossible...... proved a hundred years ago. "It will never work".......

As a matter of actual fact, it is already used. Some of the table raising mechanisms for drill presses use something very similar. Before someone points out that theirs does not use it, I will say that not ALL DPs use that, but I have seen some that do/ In that case, the efficiency etc is not an issue, but the turns ratio , relation of parts, and simplicity make it a very workable choice.

Obviously there are going to be reasons to use something like that, and reasons not to. If the reasons for it are more compelling in a situation, you may use it. The argument about tooth form is not a good one, as any tooth form can be used to make the two elements.

The rest are situation-specific reasons not to use it, which may be canceled out by a particular need or specific physical configuration that leaves just that relation between shafts, with a need for a ratio in one step that can be provided by the particular construction.
                        Manufacturer's name? Image links?

Comment

I've seen it applied sometime in the last several years in an article about a shop built boring head that used this for a smooth facing movement.

IIRC the author said he'd built it a number of years ago and couldn't recall exactly how he'd done it, but thought he'd probably used his lathe crossfeed to make a thread across the face of the part.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
                            Manufacturer's name? Image links?
                            I'm not going to take the thing apart again for a picture...... sorry. The DP is out in the shed, it's together, its cold out there, and I haven't the time. I might have a picture somewhere, as it was interesting, but I have not been keeping up with my picture index, and I have thousands of pics.... so I really don't want to search for it either.

But, you can look at some of the adjusters, and see the shaft of the crank pointing straight in at the rack.... think about it a bit and see how YOU would make the thing in the simplest possible way. Right.... the illustrated system is a pretty near perfect fit for the need.

Oh, yeah... if you think again about it, the same system is used in something I'd wager you and most everyone else on here has at least one of....... a 3 jaw chuck.... the scroll and jaws use the same principle, in much the same way as the drill presses.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 11-02-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                              But I like it - helluva ratio, for little work.
                              is the ratio any different from a worm, aren't they both revolution advances the spur one tooth?

And bumblebees can't fly...
                              I didn't say it couldn't work, I said I don't see how its an improvement.

The argument about tooth form is not a good one, as any tooth form can be used to make the two elements.
                              I'm thinking no. The spur teeth would have to have a radius to match the mating element, but since its spiral, said radius of this curve changes. it would end up a radius of that of the smallest radius of the spiral so I think you'd get poor contact, you'd have a point of contact instead of a line of contact (that you'd get worm and spur). Yes it could made to move something, but more difficult to make and poorer mating of gears, I'm not seeing how its an improvement
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X