OT- Smart Phone Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Smart Phone Apps

I have a no-name phone from a popular provider. A phone to me is for calls and now texts, web browsing wasn’t on my radar. The phone came loaded with Google, Chrome, etc. If I turn on data and open chrome, it automatically starts drawing bandwidth for something. I am used to Firefox so I want to download it, but no matter what I do, it seems I need to get it through Google Apps. Why is that? Does Google control mobile devices that much?

I have an IPhone so I don't have this problem with Google but if you want to tell us the name of the no-name phone and what operating system it has someone here may be able to give you more specific guidance.

Steve

Comment

Other than Apple phones, android is the common operating system on phones. Google bought android in 2005 and has since developed it much further. SO.... your phones operating system is from google, so naturally they support their own applications heavily.

Comment

You do have to get apps for your phone through the Google apps thing, the same way that Iphone users have to get their apps through the Apple "App store."

I use an Iphone for all my actual phone and communication needs but also have a non-activated Android phone that I use for things like my usb borescope and OBD reader for my cars as Apple will not allow such devices on the Iphone OS.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
          I have a no-name phone from a popular provider. A phone to me is for calls and now texts, web browsing wasn’t on my radar. The phone came loaded with Google, Chrome, etc. If I turn on data and open chrome, it automatically starts drawing bandwidth for something. I am used to Firefox so I want to download it, but no matter what I do, it seems I need to get it through Google Apps. Why is that? Does Google control mobile devices that much?
          I suggest giving Chrome a try.

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
            You do have to get apps for your phone through the Google apps thing, the same way that Iphone users have to get their apps through the Apple "App store."

I use an Iphone for all my actual phone and communication needs but also have a non-activated Android phone that I use for things like my usb borescope and OBD reader for my cars as Apple will not allow such devices on the Iphone OS.
            Interesting idea, the unactivated phone. Does it still connect to the internet with Wifi? I can see getting a used phone just for the stuff you mention.

Comment

Hi,

Firefox is easily available through the Play Store, Goggle/Android don't care what browser you use. The Play Store simply acts as a single repository you can go to get apps that "should" be safe from malware.
              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                Interesting idea, the unactivated phone. Does it still connect to the internet with Wifi? I can see getting a used phone just for the stuff you mention.
                Yes, it can connect via wifi and you can download apps, web browse, do email and all of that stuff. Pretty much anything that does not require having a cellular data or actual "telephone" connection. It's super handy for this sort of thing and as a bonus, I do not have to risk damaging my actual cell phone (which I need for my job, etc) doing shop and car repair stuff. I simply asked around among my friends/family, particularly the younger crowd, for any old android phones left over after upgrades, etc. and was offered several for free. Seems lots of people have one lurking in the bottom of a drawer someplace.

I have a USB microscope, a 30' long USB waterproof borescope and an OBD reader that I keep with it. The borescopes are cheap these days and super handy when you need such stuff. You can also do vibration testing to balance motors and the like using the accelerometers built into the phone. There have been a few threads on here abut that.
                Last edited by alanganes; 11-03-2018, 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling, missing letters, still learning how to type.

Comment

Working...
                X