The cutout machine I built utilizing my swing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cutout machine I built utilizing my swing arm

Here you can see the vinyl cutout machine I built using the swing arm I built for drilling and tapping. The top has a wooden template that the stylus follows. The rotary cutter was built with the idea of the two wheels controlling the depth of cut. The vinyl I am cutting is really tough to cut. It is only 1.5mm thick so the two wheels on each side of the blade let just a hair over 1.5mm of the rotary cutter stick out. Under the vinyl is a self healing cutting mat. This is the machine I asked about building a vacuum table for to hold down the vinyl. The clamping I am using is not good enough as you can see in the video. It works but just! Next step is to build a CNC machine to speed things up.
    https://youtu.be/HUXZpACr5vU
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

The Z axis is just an air cylinder set with a sensitive regulator to control how hard it pushes the rotary cutter down. The air cylinder compensated for any discrepancy in the table and swing arm. That part works quite good.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nicely done. That arm you built sure looks handy. Quite a multipurpose timesaver.

Comment

I built an arm like that about 20 yrs. ago and used it for flame cutting parts.
        I used a transformer to vary the speed of the torch and a magnetic head to follow my template.
        I never used it very much but it's still buried some where in my shop!!!

THANX RICH
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Working...
        X