Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining dovetail slide on my small shaping machine

Hi
    I've had a 10" Elliott shaper for some years but only ever used to to rough out parts prior to finish milling thus saving on milling cutters. Inspired by Abom79 on You Tube demonstrating his G & L shaper, what a great machine, I've started using my shaper for finishing components and doing much less milling. I've found it such a pleasant and rewarding machine to use and the accuracy obtainable has surprised me, this being an old well used machine.

I decided to take the plunge and machine one of the very worn dovetail slides on my tool and cutter grinder, I did surface grind the top surface but finished the dovetails on the shaper. I've allot to learn regarding best tool profiles etc and looking forward to that. I made a video for anyone interested in this type of machining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy51VZojdvM

(I was trying to insert an image but figure out how i do that from a URL?)

Power to the Shaper

Nigel

I have a small (7" Logan) shaper, but I've only used it for flat horizontal surfaces. The procedure for vertical feed, or such as dovetails, has always been a little vague to me.

By that, I mean the physical operating procedure. Are you keeping your hand on the down feed crank all the time as it moves back and forth? ...Or is your hand just waiting in place for the crank to return on the back stroke?

Also it seems like maintaining consistent down feed would be just "approximate," as you're trying to adjust a moving object.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Hi Lynnl, I'm keeping my hand on the down feed all the time and turning on the return stroke. each feed of the vertical tool slide is as even as you can make it which takes a bit of practice, sometimes I miss a beat and it does another forward stroke without feed. It's all down to practice, but would be nice to have an auto tool slide feed, maybe that's another project.

Comment

I think I've figured out how to post a picture. Here goes.

No that didn't work, no worries.
        Last edited by tractionengine42; 11-05-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

How about this?

Nope. Looks like it's being blocked by Google.

Comment

Pretty sure Abom has a G&E shaper, not a G&L.

-D
            DZER

Comment

Yep, your right it's a G & E.

Comment

I'm having another go at posting a picture, here goes.

Bingo

I couldn't load photo's into an album using Chrome even with pop-up blocker disabled, but it worked fine in Firefox.
                Last edited by tractionengine42; 11-05-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Looks great!

-D
                  DZER

Comment

great video

Comment

Nigel,

Good video. I wish someone had explained the angling of the clapper box as well as this when I started using a shaper. It's counter intuitive - or at least I find it is!

You are the first person that I have seen using carbide insert tooling on a shaper - any problems with chipping of the carbide?

Ian
                      Last edited by IanPendle; 11-05-2018, 08:34 PM. Reason: Grammar correction

Comment

NICE JOB! I've used my own shaper for some rougher jobs. Like you I still need to play around with the more specific shaper tool geometry to get a smoother finish. So far I'm using lathe tooling angles.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Lathe tool relief angles are about double what you want on the shaper. Abom79 has some good videos on shaper tools. Unfortunately he did not do any finishing tools that would work on dovetails.

Comment

Originally posted by tractionengine42 View Post
                            Hi Lynnl, I'm keeping my hand on the down feed all the time and turning on the return stroke. each feed of the vertical tool slide is as even as you can make it which takes a bit of practice, sometimes I miss a beat and it does another forward stroke without feed. It's all down to practice, but would be nice to have an auto tool slide feed, maybe that's another project.
                            My Varnamo EV-5 Shaper has auto down feed,it is on the side ram that looks like a backward comma.It has 4 feed rates 10,20,30 and 40 thou if I remember correctly .I have only tryed it once when first got it have not had time to use it,but it on the list.

Comment

Rudy Kouhoupt's shaper video shows him cutting a dovetail with a small shaper. I found that video worth watching.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                              X