Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery life on CR2032 powered digital calipers? (shars or whatever import)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery life on CR2032 powered digital calipers? (shars or whatever import)

As everyone probably knows the cheap chinese calipers with LR44 batteries usually seem to need one battery every measurement..

How is battery life in these models that use quite a bit bigger CR2032 or similar Lithium battery?

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    As everyone probably knows the cheap chinese calipers with LR44 batteries usually seem to need one battery every measurement..

How is battery life in these models that use quite a bit bigger CR2032 or similar Lithium battery?
    I get around 50 times more measurements than you do I think the key is to buy quality LR44 batteries.

Edit: I bought these awhile ago and they last. Over 1 year and still on my 1st one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO97DCU

Comment

I probably got less than 50 measurements from my latest caliper before some sticky finger dropped it on the floor and the display cracked.
      I actually use SR44 batteries and they last "reasonably well" depending on caliper.

But I was mainly interested in CR2032 powered calipers and not LR44 recommendations..

Comment

Hi,

I've got a couple mics that use the CR2032 batteries. They are no better or worse for lifetime than the SR44s. But I often pick them up at HF because they are so much cheaper and very nearly as good as name brand costing 3x's more. So I keep a dozen around all the time. YMMV as they say.
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

From this chart ( https://www.batteries.com/pages/coin...-battery-guide ) you can compare capacities.

CR2032 is lithium based 190 to 225 mAh at 3 volts
          LR44 is alkaline 110 to 150 mAh at 1.5 volts
          SR44 is silver oxide 170 to 200 mAh at 1.55 volts

In essence, the CR2032 has close to twice the energy as the SR44 due to the higher voltage.

But that does not tell the whole story. The capacity is measured as the amount of current delivered over time, and stopping at the point where the battery can no longer maintain the reference output current. Battery voltage drops as it drains and the "dead" voltage is predictable.

The Alkaline battery will give you 130 mAh and is considered dead at 1 volt. The SIlver battery will be exhausted at 1.2 volts after providing ~190 mAh. The Lithium battery will still be at 2 volts when it's dead after ~210 mAh.

The "dead" voltage can make a lot of difference when you are powering electronics. The semiconductors in the device will determine whether it needs 1 volt VS 1.2 VS 2.0 volts to function. Obviously, a caliper that will work down to 1.1 volt will be able to use all the energy in the silver battery but will die before fully draining an alkaline.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Well, just like the 44's, it's going to end up being you rather than the battery.

If you use them all day long then a bigger battery will certainly help. If you buy SR instead of LR, it will certainly help. But, if you're like me and pick them up every few weeks - or sometimes months for the less-used items, then the battery is going to be dead regardless.

Most of these things draw power when off. Not a lot, but enough. The batteries die while just sitting there, used or not. You could pull the battery out when not in use, but then if you need it again in 15min (which is just about guaranteed if you just took the battery out) it's going to get old fast. Or, you could buy a really expensive unit that actually doesn't drain the battery much while off.

My solution, which seems fairly common, it to buy lots of cheap batteries and expect to replace them when that job comes along where I need the measuring tool. If it's just a one-off measurement, use the dial callipers

David...
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a generic HF type (but not so branded, no brand at all) caliper that has been working o the same battery for probably 6 years. it uses an XX-44 type, I do not recall if it is LR, SR, or what.

It does have an "off" button, but I am certain that some part of it remains "on" even when set to "off". I do not use it a lot, but I use it considerably when it does get used, then it sits "off" for a while. It is at a workbench that does not need a lot of its type of measurement.

I cannot complain about battery life....... obviously

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                I have a generic HF type (but not so branded, no brand at all) caliper that has been working o the same battery for probably 6 years. it uses an XX-44 type, I do not recall if it is LR, SR, or what.

It does have an "off" button, but I am certain that some part of it remains "on" even when set to "off". I do not use it a lot, but I use it considerably when it does get used, then it sits "off" for a while. It is at a workbench that does not need a lot of its type of measurement.

I cannot complain about battery life....... obviously
                Older ones that lose zero position when you power them off seem to have good battery life. Mitutoyo AOS copies keep the measurement electronics alive all the time to not lose zero setting. These have actually almost same power consumption on or off.

I have also one that doesnt retain zero setting and comes with 5 minute auto-power-off.. guaranteed that it will turn off and lose zero when you set it on the workbench for a minute.. been more than once that I measure something off by x amount as my other digital calipers keep the zero setting.

Comment

I usually buy these batteries in bulk but from an electronic supplier, like Digi-Key. I have had good life from the name brands that they supply.

I would suggest that some thought be given to where they are stored. I keep mine in the kitchen pantry which is at least in air conditioned space. In the past I stored them in zip lock bags (to prevent humidity) in the refrigerator, but I am no longer sure that is necessary. They will last for years if properly stored.

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                  Hi,

I've got a couple mics that use the CR2032 batteries. They are no better or worse for lifetime than the SR44s. But I often pick them up at HF because they are so much cheaper and very nearly as good as name brand costing 3x's more. So I keep a dozen around all the time. YMMV as they say.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Older ones that lose zero position when you power them off seem to have good battery life. Mitutoyo AOS copies keep the measurement electronics alive all the time to not lose zero setting. These have actually almost same power consumption on or off.

I have also one that doesnt retain zero setting and comes with 5 minute auto-power-off.. guaranteed that it will turn off and lose zero when you set it on the workbench for a minute.. been more than once that I measure something off by x amount as my other digital calipers keep the zero setting.
                    It does NOT lose zero, that's the odd part. The "off" is just an ordinary momentary button, not different from the others. It may have an auto-off, I do not know, I just turn it off when done.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I bought an iGaging Absolute caliper last November. It uses the CR2032 (~nickel size) and I haven't replaced it yet. I liked the Absolute feature so well, I bought another with the depth attachment. They are nice calipers and very accurate. They stay on and must be switched off when you're finished. I left one on overnight but I'm still using the same battery.

Comment

I've replaced the cr2032 battery in my igaging calipers once since I got them for my birthday about 5 or 6 years ago. It gets used almost daily. The LR44 ones I tend to replace about once a year, even though they get used less frequently as they're DROs on different tools.

Funnily enough, the thing that has the highest battery use are my igaging DROs on my lathe.

Comment

I had the same problem until I switched to the SR44. They last a lot longer than the LR44. My digital calipers are always on (I never turn them off, although you really CAN'T turn them off).

Comment

I use the SR44s in the Mitutoyo calipers that I bought in 04 and I don't think I've put more than 4 batteries in it in all that time. I have it on from 8:00 to 4:00 five days a week and sometimes forget to turn it off on weekends. Just my experience FWIW.

Comment

Mitutoyo AOS copies keep the measurement electronics alive all the time to not lose zero setting. These have actually almost same power consumption on or off.
                              You don't need to use a battery to keep zero settings. Like you don't need to power feed your USB drive to retain data written to it.

As for the frequent battery changes, I solved the problem long ago. Just buy a genuine Mitutoyo caliper and forget all those problems. You'll need to replace the battery very rarely. The caliper will retain zero. And you won't need to waste money and hurt your sanity on constantly buying and replacing the battery.

eBay is your friend unless you want to buy a brand new Mitu.
                              Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X