Cheap? Carbide Countersink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap? Carbide Countersink?

Anyone have a decent source for carbide countersinks? Im working with Titanium large counter-sink dia has to be .5 diameter. Hoping someone has source for Chinese cheap Tooling? Thanx Guys appreciate the replies as usual.

Madman: I don't have a source of cheap tooling, but want to ask if you know what angle your c'sinks need to be? Inch sizes are usually 80 degrees, I think, while metrics can be 90 degree or even 100 degree.

Sarge41

Comment

Get a large masonry bit and regrind the angle to your needs. You can also put an edge on it since they are usually blunt when new.

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
        Anyone have a decent source for carbide countersinks? Im working with Titanium large counter-sink dia has to be .5 diameter. Hoping someone has source for Chinese cheap Tooling? Thanx Guys appreciate the replies as usual.
        How many holes you need to countersink?

Even a fresh, good HSS countersink should last for quite many holes in "easy" job like countersinking.

Comment

6-flute chatterless carbide countersink from Lakeshore Carbide is 23 usd

Seem like no-brainer at that price

Comment

WOW 23 bucks! Thats cheap. I was looking at 125 range. What a difference. The masonry Bit is a great idea also. Thanx Rich. Just to grind it I need a good green wheel or best a diamond in a small surface grinder with a spin attachment. I think the imperial angle is 82 degrees. This one needs to be metric 90 degrees. Thanx

Comment

Matt J I did something stupid. I am machining Titanium. I was given the Piece and assume (never was identified) as 6alv-14 usual stuff from Joes Titaniumn) I spot drilled the Holes and used a thick cutting oil. Then went in with a letter I drill. well it really made a mess. I was running about 550 rpm range and the drill just melted, Then resharpened a couple times and finally got through the first hole, was brutal! Then Tried second hole once again had to sharpen drill then finally I wizened up and got out a 1/4 inch carbide end mill centre cutting. This chewed through the holes OK but still wore the edge ever so slightly. Now I had 4 Holes done, One was .272 diameter and the other three were .250. I was thinking (oh oh ) that the drill would go through the last .022 no problem, well..it even wore out the sides of the drill which I have to cut of a section and resharpen again. Now the countersinking went equally bad and after 3 c sinks being made useless I went to the Forum here and have today ordered two from lake shore carbide. Joe they're was a awesome Fella to Talk to and order Tooling from. Thank-you very much for you're Help and advice. I appreciate it.

Comment

Matt J I did something stupid. I am machining Titanium. I was given the Piece and assume (never was identified) as 6alv-14 usual stuff from Joes Titaniumn) I spot drilled the Holes and used a thick cutting oil. Then went in with a letter I drill. well it really made a mess. I was running about 550 rpm range and the drill just melted, Then resharpened a couple times and finally got through the first hole, was brutal! Then Tried second hole once again had to sharpen drill then finally I wizened up and got out a 1/4 inch carbide end mill centre cutting. This chewed through the holes OK but still wore the edge ever so slightly. Now I had 4 Holes done, One was .272 diameter and the other three were .250. I was thinking (oh oh ) that the drill would go through the last .022 no problem, well..it even wore out the sides of the drill which I have to cut of a section and resharpen again. Now the countersinking went equally bad and after 3 c sinks being made useless I went to the Forum here and have today ordered two from lake shore carbide. Joe they're was a awesome Fella to Talk to and order Tooling from. Thank-you very much for you're Help and advice. I appreciate it.
                I have only toyed a little with 6alv-4 but in my experience it is machinable with normal(good) quality hss tools. No-go if you work-harden the hole edges with dull drill!
                Didn't use anything super-special, just factory fresh split-point Dormer A002 drills. Felt like one drill wont make too many holes tough.

You should try to tap the holes that you just work-hardened.. that should teach you a lesson

Comment

For giggles checked what the Dormer drill selector gives for drill life lottery..
                  A002 33 holes per drill (to 10mm thick part) and 180rpm! Sure ain't 1018 steel!
                  A777 HSS-CO split point 500rpm and 108 holes per drill.

Comment

I think the spot drilling may of started it. They drilled no problem and when I began drilling I think it was already Hardened a bit. I do use good drills, Anyhow No Thank you on the Tapping, (I seem to punish myself regularly with random acts of stupidity but I keep trying ) I have some experience with hard Die Steels and heat treated machining of. But this Titanium surprised me. My old Mill (1942 B Port) isn't a variable speed head something I sure could use at times. Anyhow Got to use what you have. I did slow it down to slowest speed . Anyhow I hope the Carbide does it i ordered two c-sinks was 86 dollars, Now I need to find a cheap Broach set. Thanx again.

Comment

There are a lot of taps made for tough mold steels, not sure how they hold up in Ti.
                      I think I used one of them when redrilling and tapping Strange axles , made we wince a few times while tapping but did a fine job.
                      Last edited by 754; 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

If you cut that speed in half and use sharp HSS drills, you shouldn't have any trouble drilling that alloy. Just remember that titanium builds up a lot of heat at the tool really fast, so run it slow and let the tools cool if necessary. Air blast helps a lot, assuming you don't have flood coolant already.

Tapping it is not a big deal either, IF you didn't work harden the holes when drilling.

Comment

Yondering ...YUP I was rushing a bit and should of Put The Mill (1941 Bridgeport) in too low gear and drilled slower. I was Stupid again. I went as slow as the old B Port goes but in hi gear well ...it is over 600 rpm way too fast. The Material was over hardened. In the future ill run low range. Anyhow I ordered the C sinks and also finally found one and it went smoothly all done now . it looks Good and very light compared to the Original Part. Lesson Learned.

Comment

Yondering ...YUP I was rushing a bit and should of Put The Mill (1941 Bridgeport) in too low gear and drilled slower. I was Stupid again. I went as slow as the old B Port goes but in hi gear well ...it is over 600 rpm way too fast. The Material was over hardened. In the future ill run low range. Anyhow I ordered the C sinks and also finally found one and it went smoothly all done now . it looks Good and very light compared to the Original Part. Lesson Learned.
                            If it works first time you haven't learnt anything.
                            Could be just dumb luck but after 10 failed attempts you know 10 ways that are not working.

Comment

Regarding the Counter- Sinks from ( -flute chatter-less carbide countersink from Lake shore Carbide is 23 usd
                              http://www.lake shore carbide.com/100d...-six flute.aspx) well I have to be Honest and say they didn't work worth a ****. Thats about it. Looked like not enough Relief ground into them. Buyer Beware! Maybe good for Aluminium? Or Wood?

Comment

Working...
                              X