OT- Heat Pump ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Heat Pump ?

My unit s but a couple years old. I have a temp,probe in the supply duct right above the air handler, and I keep an eye on supply temps. Over the summer, I always get 20-21 degrees across the coil, even in 90 degree outside temps. Now in heat mode, I’m getting more like 17 across the coil. And I’m not talking extreme outside temps, lows to 25 or so. Is this normal?

I’d say there is no reason to expect they’d be the same in heating and cooling mode. I think I’d also expect what you’ve seen in terms of the cooling having larger dT. Cooling is just a more favorable process in terms of the dT of the outside air vs refrigerant temp in the outside unit.

Comment

Rated heat output for a common heat pump is at 40deg outside temp. Below that the BTU's are reduced. Your temp drop sounds quite reasonable. Temp drop/increase across the coil is also highly dependent on airflow across said coil.

Another thing to keep in mind, at 90 outside in the summer and 70 inside, thats a 20 deg differential.... in heat pump mode at 25 outside and 70 inside its a 45deg differential.

Comment

All the more reason to have a ground loop in there somewhere.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Yum, geothermal! I wish the loops were easy... check up on Dandelion's progress; supposed to have a better way to put them in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
            All the more reason to have a ground loop in there somewhere.
            Well, where I live the ground is shale, kinda hard to dig through it without major equipment. Where I work, the County puts in a lot of geothermal systems, drilled and grouted holes piped to a manifold box, then solenoids select which hole(s) to use, then to the exchanger. They claim they get Govt subsidies for them. One thing I do know, by the time the facility realizes a savings over the installation costs, they have replaced every component of the system at least once. A respected mechanical engineer has estimated it takes 16 years to break even, from the sav8ngs over air exchange systems. Sorry, not on my dime.

Comment

Working...
            X