Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old tattoo machine just fell in my lap..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tattoo machine just fell in my lap..

For the old crusty-rusty-trusty tattoo wanna be artists in the group.

Lust after this.. it's old, corroded and mine for the moment..

A bit of history, no telling who it has poked. Or where it has been, or what pretty young, possibly your grandmother it tattooed...

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

When you said it just fell in your lap, I was getting ready to call 911.

Comment

I traded him a old Puma tattoo machine, some tubes and clean needles. He just came back and I loaned him a power supply.

Being the character I am if it sells for as much as I think, I will give him the power supply..

A like machine is on ebay for $2000 with 18 bidders..

By the way, hosfeltelectronics has the power supply for $76 plus shipping. Tubes are 5/16ths stainless tubing cut and notched w/animal hypodermic needle (tips) soldered in.

Needle bars are 3/?? stainless tig rod w.loop rolled around a special shaped needlenose vicegrip tip.. Silver soldered to "english" sharps on a needle jig..

BUT, I am a old burned out tattoo artist, supplies are coming from China now, a stainless machine I used to get $250 for is $120 from china. and they are happy..

------------------
      David Cofer, Of:

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-04-2004).]

Comment

2000$ for some coils? The value must be in the history.

Comment

Value of coon dogs and land, I guess it depends on location and desire of the buyer. They say race horses are worth millions too, but I think I prefer to feed them to my dog out of a alpo can.

No, I wouldn't buy a tattoo machine for that, much less a rusty old one.

I prefer stainless. Stainless lasts forever.
          Stainless is clean. shiny, clean..

------------------
          David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Well before you sell it off, be sure you scribble off a short screenplay and make a movie about a starched-collar yuppie kid coming into your shop for his first tatoo.

"Theodoric of York, Medieval Dentist"

Comment

Vinito:

Imagine, putting a work of art on someone who wants to change thier life. They are unhappy, a tragic event, a heartbreak, a bad feeling about oneself.

You stretch your skill to put a work of art onto thier skin, they look, the detail seems to grow like a magic picture show. The more they look the more details they see. Putting shadows and color shading even into the cartoons, making them really something special.

They have something unique, something different, something to show, something to make them feel slightly better about themselves. They yearn for more, more art, more jewerly that can not be stolen by a jealous girlfriend or lost.

I've done Yuppies, Yippies and hippies, bikers, sailors and soldiers. Gave them all a small piece of my soul.

Problem is: when I do a really good piece I want it on my body.. I'd be covered up if I could reach everypart.. I have thought of building a tattoo toolholder for my cnc..

I could indeed write a few stories, some X-rated, some boring, all with the end result of a frustrated artist. Never good enough for my own critique.

I yearn to make my creations for my other toys in metal as well. Frustration follows there also. What others consider a success I consider a failure. I have throwed folded and bent metal out in the yard and people beg for it.. Later I see it much bondo'ed and installed on something..

Perfection is never truly achieved.

------------------
              David Cofer, Of:

Comment

I hear ya, brother.

Ring the bells that still can ring
                Forget your perfect offering.
                There is a crack in everything,
                That's how the light gets in.
                ~Leonard Cohen

Always live up to your standards - by lowering them, if necessary. ~Mignon McLaughlin

If it weren't for half-assed, nothing would ever get done around here. ~Friend of mine down the street

Comment

Not myself being "illustrated", I am a bit ignorant of the process, other than it involves getting ink into the lower levels of the skin.

Does a needle just move based on that buzzer coil setup? where does the ink come from, is that already painted on?

Hard to believe I got to be this old and not know that stuff, but...............

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

David, you got a lucky lap.....what do you think your gonna do with it?

How's it run?

Let me know if you want to trade it for a nice new one hehehe.

John

Comment

J:
                      You have seven layers of skin a real good tattoo artist only tattoos the first four. You dip the pen/needle in small sterile throw-away cups filled with ink and directly apply to the skin. As you trace the outline the line is hidden under the extra ink. The "ZEN" of hitting the line unseen is proven.
                      The needle as it pierces the skin also releases a mist of body fluids into the air like squeezing a orange peel in front of a candle. The ink goes in with the needls, body fluids and ink comes out on the needle. When the needle hits the stop (contact) it slings mist right into the tattoo artists face.
                      Wiping your face after tattooing for 12-16 hours straight you get ink off your face.
                      Using sterile methods the customer has "no Risks" from the tattoo application. He/she just has to heal the million or so holes up without getting something in them. The tattooist, Most unaware of the truth catch the blood borne diseases like hepatitus and other nasty "forever" diseases. Probably from thier eyes and nasal passages.
                      Next question usually asked, how many needles? Normally lines are applied with a 3 needle tight, three grouped together like a kung-fu finger strike, the seconds backing up the stifness of the first. Shading and color is applied with groups of 4,7mag,6,13mag,14,21 needles. Like the old buddist laying on a bed of nails the more needles the less pain. A needle by the way is blunt, gets sharper and sharper while in use till it fish-hooks right over and tears the skin up more than tattoos it. A row of perfect holes (sewing machine stitch like) not connecting is the desired affect, like pixel dithering they make a solid color or line without damaging the skin too bad.
                      Inks, are non-toxic. Originally were colored chalk. You can eat them. Some like the dynamic brand are a polyester powder in a suspension. they never liquify completely. Others that are brighter and slightly illegal are anodized aluminum and titanuim flakes. You know these while applying because they wear your needles out really fast. I only have used the stuff I would use on myself. I still set metal detectors off in places like airports and nuclear plants. Some of my tattoos, the red ink had mercury in it. That ink has not been sold since WW2. If you think that is bad, look into the amalgum fillings used by dentists.

Zinom:
                      Nope, My wife is planning on me putting in at least concrete on the (second half) house addition. In my good nature I didn't want to take advantage of the guy I got it from, I swapped him a whole armload of stuff thou. I could clone this quite easy in my cnc shop. But, that would not be right either.
                      If you just wanted a wall hanger, well...

------------------
                      David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Zinom:

It purrs, even at low power. I think all machines with a yoke under them sing a song unlike the stainless machines I prefer.
                        I got used to using costal machines, they rattle like a VW bug, being all aluminum and light. I like the swing-gate machine best.

Col. "Moses" Killen up in IA has me a block of brass to build him some tall-coil-yoke Supreme style machines. I just ain't got off my lazy butt and done it yet. No telling what my imagination will produce.. I have done machines that looked like Aliens, had machines built in prison, some built in school shops.
                        Believe it or not, the ugly blackened iron machines on ebay outsold my sometimes ten-hours invested polished stainless machines. Makes me wonder about the average tattoo artists sometimes.
                        I guess they were buying to look at, not to use.

------------------
                        David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Well.. Figgur on this lil rusty babe going to a new home.. MY minimum 800$ ebay start got bid on.. I really don't care.. Let it go, I need concrete, insulation, and 2x12's.. WHOO HOO>> gimme a cold one. or two, or three.

I should get off the pot and cut out the brass jobbers tattoo frames out of that block.. It has turned green since it got here..

Cheers ya'll

------------------
                          David Cofer, Of:

Comment

&rdhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem=1&item=5518506491

The old tattoo machine ended at $1375.00

I am quite elated. WE can buy all the lumber needed for the front side of the addition on the house. I will still have to soak for the concrete/wiring/sheetrock/insulation.. but the framing will be up..

I am going to photograph it from all angles.. maybe make some knock-offs.. perhaps label them as such.. but.. if a original is worth this, a copy is worth 1/3 to 1/2...

I am eyeballin the 1/2 gallon of Wild turkey that has been here a year.. My wife is gone to Michigan.. Quick.. hide all the keys before I end up in jail....

------------------
                            David Cofer, Of:

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 09-11-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                            X