Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix damaged motor shaft

Hello all:

I acquired a nice little 3/4 hp motor in a bunch of stuff I got at a flea market. I needed to take the pulley off as it was cracked. No amount of yanking with the gear puller would get it off. Had to cut it off. Turns out a previous owner had put the pulley on by screwing the set screw directly into the shaft instead of on the flat. The pulley must have slipped at some point as there is now a nice gash and a raised ridge of metal on the shaft OD where the set screw went for a ride. The flat is OK though. I hate to trash this motor, being the cheap, er, I mean thrifty, SOB that I am. Is there any way to fix this bit of raised metal on the shaft so I can get a new pulley on? I thought of just turning on the motor and holding a file onto the shaft, but something deep down inside of me says "stupid stupid stupid idea". Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Just get a file and carefully dress it down.
    No need for anything else more complicated.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,
      The farm equipment I worked on as a boy always seemed to be turning something on a shaft and gouging the crap out of it. An old mechanic showed me how to use chalk or pencil on the raised area as well as the surrounding shaft and to file (NOT UNDER POWER)the ridges off. With the pencil or chalk you can tell when you are getting down to the shaft.

The old buzzard had a thing about files - "If you can't use a file, don't say you can work metal!" One time he had me make a woodruff key out of mild steel, as well as repair the shaft from which original had broken out. It worked.

Ed
      Ed Bryant

Comment

Just use a file on it, but NOT with the motor running.
        Paul G.

Comment

Working...
        X