End mill holders for ER spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End mill holders for ER spindles

All this talk about CNC Taig reminded me of one of my pet peeves- needing to reset Z for every tool change. For those interested in avoiding that headache, GenSwiss makes ER compatible endmill holders that would allow preset tools. It all came out of a discussion on PM years back where I inquired about them upsizing the ER-11 holders they make for live tools on CNC lathes. I now see they’ve taken it all the way up to ER-25.

Anyway, I’ve never actually gotten around to ordering some (I upgraded my spindle to ER-20 and they didn’t make that size last I looked), but be aware such an animal exists. Could save a lot of headache.

-Aric
    Last edited by adatesman; 12-02-2018, 06:47 PM.

I've been wondering about this as well. A simple solution I read was putting a stop collar on all my tools that effectively give them all the same Z height when put into the collet.

Comment

Problem is the stop collar would locate off a non-precision face of the collet. This locates on the taper, giving the best possible accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman View Post
        Problem is the stop collar would locate off a non-precision face of the collet. This locates on the taper, giving the best possible accuracy.
        Theres some crazy people on the internet taking a Taig mill and putting a bigger R8 spindle on it, and using Tormach's TTS system, also making a beefier, bigger base and Z.

Comment

If you machined the stop collar, so it sits flat against the face of the collet, and not the nut, all the same diameter tooling uses the same exact collet, I think it would be repeatable enough? I like those extensions, but they are extensions, and limited in size.

Comment

Seems to me it’s no longer a Taig then, if you’re replacing the spindle, Z, and base.

I upgraded to ER-20 with a Maritool ER holder in order to be able to use 1/2” shank tooling. Iirc the issue was dovetail cutters, which were not really available in 3/8” shank. The upgrade is documented on Carter Tool’s site, last I checked years ago. I see no reason to go past ER-20 on a Taig. Simply doesn’t have the power or rigidity.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              If you machined the stop collar, so it sits flat against the face of the collet, and not the nut, all the same diameter tooling uses the same exact collet, I think it would be repeatable enough? I like those extensions, but they are extensions, and limited in size.
              Front of the volley isn’t a precision surface and the stop collar may or may not draw tight when tightening the nut. Gaging off the taper is the better solution.

But yes, they’re limited in size. Which is fine, as the Taig spindle doesn’t have much torque and is better suited to spinning small cutters fast at high feed. I routinely slot 6061 with a 1/8” endmill at 75ipm .075 deep, multiple passes to .250 deep. Want to say 7500 rpm? Been a while since I looked at the program.

Comment

Speaking of how fast I slot 6061, here’s video of my rapids. 112ipm X and Y, 75ipm z. KFlop with G540 and generic Xylotex 270-something steppers. Ground V thread leadscrews. And a lot of time tweaking hardware and software. My mill is happy and reliable at these settings, and I could push it further if I wanted. Everything is tight and interpolated holes round. I see no reason this can not be replicated by others.

Last edited by adatesman; 12-02-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X