Need Chart for Dividing Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Chart for Dividing Head

I lost the manual for my dividing head. I need a chart for 40:1 dividing. Yes, I know there are formulae, but I want the chart. That's all I want, just the chart.

I tried to Google search it, and got a buncha stuff that was unreadable or for sale.

Lil' help?

John check your private messages

Comment

I can email a chart for BS 0 and 1

Dave

Originally posted by John Buffum View Post
      I lost the manual for my dividing head. I need a chart for 40:1 dividing. Yes, I know there are formulae, but I want the chart. That's all I want, just the chart.

I tried to Google search it, and got a buncha stuff that was unreadable or for sale.

Lil' help?

Comment

Although you don't want the formula, here it is, just for completeness:

To figure the number of full turns and partial turns T needed for a number of divisions N on a dividing head with ratio R,.

T = R/N

So for 2 divisions,

T = 40/2 = 20 full turns

For 12 divisions,

T = 40/12 = 3-4/12 = 3-1./3 = 3 full tuns plus 1/3 of a turn

for 60 divisions,

T = 40/60 = 2/3 of a turn

And so forth. For 1/3 of a turn, you can use any hole circle that has a number of holes divisible by 3, e.g. 15, use every 5th hole. Same for any other common fraction. Several choices.

If you want something like 19 divisions, on the other hand, choices are limited.

T =40/19 = 2 full turns plus 2/19 of a turn. You'll need a hole circle with a factor of 19 in it. I'm not sure what the standard set of hole circles is, but there is likely only one choice for a factor of 19.

It's pretty simple.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

You want a 40:1 DH hole chart? You got one!

For years I have been hosting the hole & parts info cards for the LW Chuck Co (40:1) dividing head I no longer own, in my webspace. I moved on to a 4:1 Hardinge DH which I like better as it takes 5C collets direct in the spindle vs BS#9 in the LW.

See post #10 in this this linked thread over on PM forum:

Scans provided by Barry Weeks. The originals are older and somewhat discolored and difficult to read. But better than nothing. I provided the original scans sent to me, and I also photoshopped the originals up to make them easier to read. Of course they are larger filesize. These hole...

Comment

You asked for it so here it comes:

Two more parts in the next post.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I do not know the exact assortment of Hole Circles that you have on your plates so I assumed a fairly common set. When there were two or more possibilities I listed up to three of them in order to make the table as universal as possible. But complete universality is not possible as some manufacturers may use different combinations of hole numbers. The white lines are divisions that are possible with that set of hole circles. The yellow lines were included to show the smallest hole circle that would allow that division with a 40::1 worm. I did keep those numbers at 14 holes or more, avoiding really small numbers like 7.

No guarantees on the accuracy, but Excel did the math so it should be pretty good. My most likely error is probably missing a simpler combination.

The last two columns were for calculation purposes only. You can ignore them in actual use of the table.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Comment

Thanx guys. Huge help. Sometimes Google is a big help, sometimes not.

Comment

I have three discs with mine, but unfortunately there was no 59 hole ring, so to do 118 divisions, I had to use degrees and minutes. Fortunately, someone printed a spreadsheet with them on.

Comment

There are charts for compound indexing for every index to 250

Dave

Originally posted by John Buffum View Post
                    Thanx guys. Huge help. Sometimes Google is a big help, sometimes not.

Comment

That only helps if your indexer or RT can do compound indexing.

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
                      There are charts for compound indexing for every index to 250

Dave
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Comment

Do any of you guys actually try reading the stuff you post for reference? Complete and total junk!

Comment

Working...
                        X