OT odd request for help from a Canadian member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT odd request for help from a Canadian member

So, here's the back story. My wife and I visited Kingston last year. From our home, it's about a three hour drive. Maybe more, because we took the ferry over from Wolf Island in the summer. Haven't looked to see if they are still working at this time of year??
    Anyway, while we were in Kingston we had a great time. We ate at different places each day to take as many places as time would allow.
    We stopped at one place for lunch (don't remember the name!) and they also had a store, selling all sorts of baked treats and other foods.

We purchased a soup mix that came in a plastic tube. All the spices, pasta, etc are in it. Just add chicken stock.
    Recently, we got around to making it. It was absolutely awesome!!

So, we thought, "what a great, useful Christmas gift a couple of these to each person". (I promise, I'm bringing this tale in for a landing!)

The company that makes the soup mixes is Mitchell's soup co. out of Duncan B.C.

I went on their site to try and order a variety of their mixes. Low and behold, I see no option to ship to the US. I call the contact number and get a hold of the owner's father.
    He said that they can't ship to the US because they don't have an export license.

So, what I'm looking for is a member here that might send me some. I actually don't know what the ramifications would be if one of you were to send me a "Christmas present" full of soup mixes?? (pre-paid of course).

Is this totally illegal??

Anyway, That's my long winded request for help.

If anyone would be willing to help, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks, Sid

Bump! And legality be dammed,there is good soup on the line here!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

And corrected web address

Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
        And corrected web address

https://www.mitchellssoupco.com/
        Thanks for fixing the address! Others may find their products as enjoyable as we did!

Sid

Comment

From https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ods-etc.%29-as

If you are a private individual who wishes to send beverage and food items to the U.S., you should be aware that some items are highly restricted, particularly food items with meat products, including soup mixes, bouillon, sausages, tinned meats, etc., and fresh produce.
          As a general rule, candies, condiments, spices, coffee and teas that are commercially packaged are generally ok, however bulk teas or spices, etc. are subject to inspection and if they are found to have insects, they may be seized and destroyed.
          While the regulation states Prior Notice should be filed for all food items sent to the U.S., the FDA has published guidance indicating that they do not typically take regulatory action against such shipments when they are sent from an individual to another individual either through the mail or by courier service* for non-commercial purposes (i.e. as gifts).

Comment

In addition to what Arcane posted above is that we have had some labor unrest that has affected Canada Post. Canada Post has undergone weeks of rotating strikes nation wide starting in the third week of Oct/18, I think.
            Although they have been legislated back to work last week there is a very large backlog of mail and parcels in the system numbering in the many millions of items. The large influx of Christmas parcels as well as Black Friday/Cyber Monday parcels have only bogged the system done even more.

Additionally an other factor at major sorting hubs is that other organized labor unions have attempted to block in-going and out-going truck access as a show of solidarity to support their brothers who have lost their right to strike because of the back to work legislation that was brought into affect against the postal union last week.

I too have been waiting for a self purchased Christmas tooling package that has been kept in "storage" at a major sorting facility for about two weeks, tracking info has not been updated since it's arrival there. Canada Post has advised that some of this backlog probably won't be cleared up until mid Jan/19.

I would be very surprised at this point if you would get your items for this Christmas, so heads up.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yea, same with Lays Ketchup Chips.

Check on Amazon. I often find "Canada" goodies on there from Canadian sellers close/on the border.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                We purchased a soup mix that came in a plastic tube. All the spices, pasta, etc are in it. Just add chicken stock.
                Recently, we got around to making it. It was absolutely awesome!!
                Also, try this. Just add some chicken stock and it too is "wicked" awesome

Comment

No luck on Amazon.

Ramen? just not the same......

Sid

Comment

heck, I'll give you a bowl of my home made pasta fagioli. you'll soon forget about that illegal hooch!
                    san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                      No luck on Amazon.

Ramen? just not the same......

Sid
                      Sid, you might try these guys. I assume they've got all of their ducks in a row regarding international food shipments.

We are located on Granville Island in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Our Canadian artisan goodies ship internationally.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Thanks Willy!!

I called them, just to get the details of shipping to the US. Left a message.
                        But, it looks good!

Thanks again. Sid

Comment

Working...
                        X