• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metal illness
    Now that sounds very familiar
    George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
      There were several 'original' drive systems. Sunstrand, motor-generator, WIAD (works in a drawer), and Modular drive. The WIAD and Modular are single phase. They are all fairly easy to repair. It just looks really unusual. There is great help available. There are some nice aftermarket DC drive solutions, but it is almost always better to retain the original drive.
      Here is mine. Even as nice as it looks I still had to fix part of the drive electronics (diodes). But it was easy with the wealth of knowledge out there. And I spent a couple years collecting new tubes for the future JR

Comment

Piss poor Pallet to start with Ken

Comment

Thats a beauty JR, very nice.

The gearbox on mine is still in pieces, fitting replacement bearings is the next big challenge. With the kind help of Peter, I have a missing pulley on its way from England, just waiting on the youngest pack mule (kid) to come home with it.

There is a lot of downside to the vfd approach. It is very difficult to equal the performance of the original drives.
          True. I briefly had a second one, a '43 with the original Ward Leonard drive. That thing was amazing (sold to make room). Only negative was it was loud.

Mine had no drive when I got it but it did have the gearbox so I adapted it to a 5hp motor - piece of AL is new front end to the motor/back end to the gearbox. It will not perform as well as the original but I hope it will still deliver good performance. Time to put the push on getting it running!

Last edited by Mcgyver; 12-03-2018, 11:35 PM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
            There were several 'original' drive systems. Sunstrand, motor-generator, WIAD (works in a drawer), and Modular drive. The WIAD and Modular are single phase. They are all fairly easy to repair. It just looks really unusual. There is great help available. There are some nice aftermarket DC drive solutions, but it is almost always better to retain the original drive.

There is a lot of downside to the vfd approach. It is very difficult to equal the performance of the original drives.
            The WIAD I believe is the one I have a good deal of information on. It is a really nicely designed drive system, one of the best old style designs I have seen, where the characteristics of the specific parts are used to make the desired performance happen, and reduce the parts count, instead of throwing micro computers and code at the problem. Parts often do more than one job, and there are just the parts needed to do the job... no extras. Elegant design. Works really well by all accounts

I was going to do a solid state replacement for the thyratron tubes. That was OK, but the demand was low, since the tubes are still out there, and so the return did not look too hood. I also decided that the drive was do-able with SS devices but that the control would need to be updated to really suit the SS devices, since the original was somewhat dependent on there being a real tube in each place. Without a 10EE in hand, I decided it would be very difficult to work out the bugs, or even see them, and bagged the project.

There are some specialized parts. The worst problem is if there are bad trigger(grid) transformers. Those seem to have particular characteristics that are important to the drive operation, but similar parts are no longer available as far as I have been able to determine. I have not had my hands on one to test.

If a 10EE with that drive has to be scrapped or parted, it would be advisable to pull the electronics and drive components for spares, as they literally "do not make 'em like that anymore".
            Last edited by J Tiers; 12-04-2018, 02:06 AM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
            X