Calipers as Carry-On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calipers as Carry-On

Calipers packed in Carry-On luggage are likely to get left behind with airport security.

A recent CBC article about prohibited carry-on items passengers continue to arrive with at security screening.

While not mentioned in the text, accompanying photographs of surrendered objects includes a black plastic case holding a 6" digital caliper.

Makes sense to me as I compose this post, but I admit that before seeing the images, it isn't unlikely that I would have packed calipers in my shoulder bag where I could keep an eye on them.

I'm sure it was not rejected just because it's a set of calipers. What they would have seen is something metallic and skinny which also has sharp probes and a retractable long pointy blade. The person that confiscated it may not, likely not in fact, have a clue as to what it was used for normally.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Just bring a plastic pair in your carry on, or try 3D printomg one

Comment

That is the thing.

I see my precision, dear-to-me instruments in their wood and upholstered cases as precious objects to be respected and handled w/ care. Never considering their potential as objects of violence - how could I rely on them for tolerances after ?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          I haven't seen it, but apparently there is a video by some kid who mounted a set of calipers on a drone.

Would not be surprised to learn that a federal judge has issued a preliminary injunction prohibiting publishing blueprints for 3D-printed calipers.

Comment

Weaponized calipers, how stupid are the bureaucrats.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
              Makes sense to me as I compose this post, but I admit that before seeing the images, it isn't unlikely that I would have packed calipers in my shoulder bag where I could keep an eye on them.
              Yup. It's quite easy to see why they would ban them. Anyone that doesn't mind getting these buried in their head, doesn't have much in there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                Oh sure. Here's the 3D printed version.

Comment

I've had them remove AXA tool holders from my carry on... Heavy pieces of metal...

Comment

Working...
                  X