3AT Collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3AT Collets

I thought I would use a question to show off the collet closer I made for my 12" Atlas/Craftsman lathe. It uses 3AT collets, which are like gold when bought at retail. I don't have a Machinery's handbook, but I suppose that is where I would find the dimensions to make them? Would they have to be hardened?

Here is the collet closer:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lletCloser.jpg

Ed

[This message has been edited by elbryant (edited 09-10-2004).]
    Ed Bryant

Nice looking job. Did you do the wooden case as well? As to the collets, see if anyone can make you a copy of the article in "Live Steam Magazine" March 1978 issue about making "Collets for the Atlas 6" Lathe" by Earl L Bower. It is found on Page 14 & 15. I would, but my scanner is busted.

Comment

Does the 6" take 3AT? I didn't think they took any common collet due to spindle size.

I might have to reconsider them. I see them for 200 or 300 bucks reasonably often around here. I'd keep a collet setup in it and use it for small stuff.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Nice looking job, Ed. 3 AT colletts show up on ebay from time to time. A buddy has got a few in the last couple years, along with 3c, which are close to the same size, according to him. Machinery's handbook lists all popular collett dimensions, if I remember correctly.

TC

Comment

I just checked "Travers Tool" and they want
          $19.50 - $24.50 per collet, what I did was
          every time I placed a order with them I would order another collet, I have the full set and are very happy with them.
          that way the price doesn't seem so bad,I got mine about 10 years ago and they was about 1/2 the price.

Regards Graeme

Comment

Nice job on the closer. Looks like you have a thrust bearing on it which is a good idea.

About 2 to 3 years ago there was an article in HSM or MW or Projects in Metal on making your own collets. It was general enough to apply to almost any particular collet style. He did things like making two at a time and taking the taper setting from an existing collet (I see you have several already). It seemed like a straight forward job and I plan to make some one day.

As for the complete set thing, it's great to have but you will find that you are using only a few sizes for about 99.9 percent of the work. Usually the simple fractions like 1/2 and 1/4 and 1/8. You could just get the common sizes and let the others wait until you actually have a need for them - a part that actually requires that size.

Paul A.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

J. Tiers, I THOUGHT that the Atlas 6 x 18 took the 3-AT collets, but I may very well be wrong. I know that my Logan-made M-W 10 x 22 lathe uses that size. Check this addy:

http://www.mermac.com/collet.html

Al Messer

Comment

Whoops!! That website does not exist anymore. Sorry!

Comment

"Make your own collets" page 50, Sept/Oct. 2002 "The Home Shop Machinist"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Foster:
                    "Make your own collets" page 50, Sept/Oct. 2002 "The Home Shop Machinist"</font>
                    Thanks John, saved me the trouble of finding it. Great article.

Paul A.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                    X