A sign of the times:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sign of the times:

Yesterday while in the city near me i decided to hit the scrap yards to see if i could buy some aluminum and brass cutoffs for small projects. (This used to be great pickins, -used to be!) Holy crap, almost none to be found. I managed to find one cut off of brass, 3 1/2 dia x 1/1-2 thick. After searching all the scrap bins, the one guy told me, so much industry has left, moved out, that they do not get good cutoffs anymore like they used to. Tons of extrusions, and sheet, but very few cutoffs. A sign of the times in industry.

I went to Sears the other day and wanted to buy a Commodore VIC-20. Not only did they not have any in stock, nobody knew what I was asking for. What is this world coming to!!

Comment

A sign of the times in San Fran. Not necessarily where the businesses have fled to.

Comment

We still have some manufacturing here in So Cal and cut offs are available. What has changed is the pricing. Yikes. JR

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
          I went to Sears the other day and wanted to buy a Commodore VIC-20. Not only did they not have any in stock, nobody knew what I was asking for. What is this world coming to!!
          Its not a vic-20 , its bar stock ends , used every week , by shops all over the country.
          It's machining content, maybe learn about it..

Comment

The local scrap yards have all closed their doors to people who want to pick over the piles. "Insurance" is the universally given reason.

Comment

I still find stuff like that at sims metals on Monterey road. open till noon on Saturday.
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                Its not a vic-20 , its bar stock ends , used every week , by shops all over the country.
                It's machining content, maybe learn about it..
                It's actually due to something called technology and innovation. Most folks are moving forward with it; however, many folks unfortunately get left behind and become completely disassociated like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                  The local scrap yards have all closed their doors to people who want to pick over the piles. "Insurance" is the universally given reason.
                  Dan, you are probably one of the few exceptions, but "Insurance reasons" avoids have guys scrounging in the yard for hours and buying very little or nothing at all.

Comment

Sasquach, every single scrap yard in the region around Ottawa/Gatineau has been bought by American Iron and Metals, (AIM,) out of Montreal. As a consequence, ALL yards operate under AIMs rules-no sniping and no retail sales.
                    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

My local scrap yard closed up. The other one stopped selling to the public. Probably a liability issue. There is a small one in a nearby town that still lets you scrounge through the barns for scrap, but they don't have much because all the industry has left the state.

JL............

Comment

I think there is one local scrapyard that allows people to browse but they never have much good stuff
                        anyway, all others are now no access.

While liability is one reason--and, given the litigious nature of today's society, a very good one at that--I
                        think a bigger issue is that today these operations are being run as real businesses. Efficiency is the key
                        and it just doesn't work to have a bunch of people scrounging around for odd and ends. While I lament
                        the passing of the "old time" scrapyard as much as anyone else I can certainly understand why it is so...
                        Keith

Comment

There are several local manufacturing companies here I can go to for cut-offs including one scrap yard.

Comment

Hit up machining businesses, but most of them have contracts with 3rd parties to take away the scraps and some keep their scraps around for uses down the road. I have had minor luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
                              Same here.
                              Mike
                              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X