Grinding Wheel Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Wheel Stuff

I bought some grinding wheels from Acme Industrial Surplus. Trouble is, they don't state what they are. They are by Gel, Cincinnati Milacron, and Bay State.

Bay State and Cincinnati Milcron's abrasives division was bought by Radiac Abrasives, A TYROLIT Company . Unfortunately, they didn't get access to the legacy information, so couldn't help when I wrote them.

Cincinnati Milacron 32A120 - K6 - VFM 7x1/2c1-1/4 120 grit, K hardness, Vitrified bond, material unknown
    Cincinnati Milacron 32A80 - I6 - VFM 7x1/2c1-1/4 80 grit, I hardness, Vitrified bond, material unknown
    Gel 5GA - 46 - K8 - V89 46 grit, K hardness, Vitrified bond, some sort of ceramic? Radiac rep unsure
    Bay State Abrasives 8A - 60 - I2 - V22 60 grit, I hardness, Vitrified bond, material unknown

My guess is the first code identifies the material, like 32A, 5GA, and 8A . Would the A be aluminum oxide?

If anyone can help with this, I'd appreciate it.
    What ever happened to reasoned discussion of the issues? Now, if you don't instantly and enthusiastically endorse the leftist view, you are labeled with some word ending in "ist", and told you are an agent of evil. Wasn't that how it was done in 1930's Russia and Germany?

https://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/...arking-system/

Comment

Yeah, the "A" means aluminum oxide.

Your third listing, "Gel 5GA" is probably equivalent to Norton's "5SG". In the Norton scheme of things, "SG" means "Seeded Gel". This is a type of aluminum oxide ceramic, more expensive than plain aluminum oxide, but also much more durable.

There's a lot of good information in this Norton catalog. Scroll down to page 230.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga-...bookmarked.pdf
      Last edited by john hobdeclipe; 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

So I guess all these would be good for iron to hardened tool steel. Would they be OK for brass?

I'm going to buy a silicon carbide wheel from MSC for HSS and Cobalt.

That link was REALLY helpful. Thanks to MattiJ.
        What ever happened to reasoned discussion of the issues? Now, if you don't instantly and enthusiastically endorse the leftist view, you are labeled with some word ending in "ist", and told you are an agent of evil. Wasn't that how it was done in 1930's Russia and Germany?

Comment

Originally posted by John Buffum View Post
          So I guess all these would be good for iron to hardened tool steel. Would they be OK for brass?

I'm going to buy a silicon carbide wheel from MSC for HSS and Cobalt.

That link was REALLY helpful. Thanks to MattiJ.
          I though that silicon carbide was for non-ferrous, and HSS and cobalt steels needed a softer bond aluminium oxide wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
            I though that silicon carbide was for non-ferrous, and HSS and cobalt steels needed a softer bond aluminium oxide wheel?
            That's the usual recommendation.

Comment

Ah. Thanks. So, these are the right wheels, totally by accident. I'll be using them, that's for sure.

So, I use the silicon carbide for brass.

Comment

Working...
              X