Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. One word, Plastics (caution - depressing)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going at it real slow would seem to be of greatest benefit - although as sad as it sounds the plastic has probably become a habitat to many - so condense it and they will most likely follow it in,

but like you stated there will never be a perfect solution - going out and trying floatation netting and maybe perfecting along the way would sound like a very practical approach, you know - rather than building a multi-million dollar failure that took tons of resources and effort to boot...

Comment

• So, what's the depressing part?

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
        So, what's the depressing part?
        He thinks a million is a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          So, what's the depressing part?
          oh I don't know - maybe going to just about any "nice" beach in the world now and seeing it on all the shores?

that always seems to shock most people into reality - "you mean it could effect me when i go on vacation"

same old same old - unless it ends up in peoples back yards they could give a crap... well guess what - it's a coming

Comment

• Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
            Looking for a perfect solution means a solution will never be found,there will always be a tradeoff.Lets look at it this way,normally the creatures that get caught up in the fishing nets are either A- saleable species or B- unwanted/un-intented species.The fish catch is very much time dependant,too slow to close the nets,too many of A get away.Too quick to close the nets and too many of B get caught.We are fishing for plastic,the A,which we are in no real hurry to catch since it doesn't have a fight or flight response and most of the B won't be in there either since A doesn't look appetizing.
            Mostly true. But, the dritters in the ocean tend to eat things smaller than them. SO those things tend to stay where there is "cover", because they are trying to avoid being eaten. Anything that provides cover will atract some critters, which then attract bigger ones that want a meal. However, there is a lot of ocean, so presumably the critters that hang out around the plastic floes also live elsewhere.

A fairly slow but steady collection of the trash is more or less forced on anyone who tries to collect it, because there is so much that they will be filling up ships on a regular basis. Seagoing barges are not so common, and a river tow structure would just not work on the open ocean. Some way to load it on ships OTHER THAN the collector ship is required.

Still, it wants doing before some scientists discover a species that has evolved to live in the plastic stuff, because after that it will be illegal to clean it up.

As for a design of a ship to collect it? Count on the first several dozen designs to be stupid.

Look at the old "recycling trucks" and "recycling trailers". I remember them, with a bin for each separate material, and not enough space to collect much in each, plus lots of wasted volume in between them. No attempt to size them per the amount expected, either. Someone made a bunch of money making those, and they all got scrapped. Or those "special computer desks" that you had to have, because a special thing like a computer cannot be just put on a table.... little did they know...... Most of those you cannot even give away now, they are in the landfills. The collector ships will be the same.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 01-04-2019, 02:21 AM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              A fairly slow but steady collection of the trash is more or less forced on anyone who tries to collect it, because there is so much that they will be filling up ships on a regular basis. Seagoing barges are not so common, and a river tow structure would just not work on the open ocean. Some way to load it on ships OTHER THAN the collector ship is required.
              Don't bring the trash back to shore,transfer it to an ocean going barge and burn it at sea.Or if some money gets behind the project convert a ship to capture,dry and burn the trash for fuel.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Don't bring the trash back to shore,transfer it to an ocean going barge and burn it at sea.Or if some money gets behind the project convert a ship to capture,dry and burn the trash for fuel.
                It's a resource..... why not use it? Burnt without any use for the energy, it is just a different form on pollution.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• absolutely X2

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    oh I don't know - maybe going to just about any "nice" beach in the world now and seeing it on all the shores?

that always seems to shock most people into reality - "you mean it could effect me when i go on vacation"

same old same old - unless it ends up in peoples back yards they could give a crap... well guess what - it's a coming
                    I don't know... Garbage hasn't kept people from visiting New York City, and with exception to Delhi, is the dirtiest city I've seen.

Comment

• On second thought,it might be best to just quit dumping plastic and leave well enough alone-

Home to vibrantly colored, tiny creatures, the ecosystems floating on the ocean’s surface remain all but unknown.

Comment

On second thought,it might be best to just quit dumping plastic and leave well enough alone-

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...euston/580693/
                        I like that idea. There are creatures living in that dump. JR
                        Last edited by JRouche; 01-23-2019, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                          I like that idea. There are creature living in that dump.

Kinda like the wall issue. No wall, just better laws and more boots on the ground. No need for mass deportation except for criminals. Leave that part alone. Flame on??? LOL And no. <--- is not political, its a humanitarian issue. JR
                          Pathological altruism aside,if you don't think we need a wall,how do you feel about the front door on your house?LOL

Comment

• Might I ask that you take this discussion to private messages ? No need to get George involved. Thanks guys.
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Pathological altruism aside,if you don't think we need a wall,how do you feel about the front door on your house?LOL
                              I do have a fence too JR

Comment

Working...
                              X