O/T: Made some Sourdough bread today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Made some Sourdough bread today.

Well, not just today. It took me two months to make and cultivate the starter dough.

Just white flour and bottled water (ours has too much chlorine) and time.

I would set it outside with a cheesecloth on it sometimes during the day.

Just another old school method for making bread. My wife was not diggin the starter smell sometimes. Well, that's fermentation.

I make beer, bread, kimchi and every other fermented food item. I love the old way of fermenting to preserve or create food. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

mix honey and peanut butter for it and I could eat half the loaf now and the other half after lunch.

Comment

Impressive, I need to make another batch

Even more impressed that you make Kimchi. I finally perfected mine after several years. Similar to this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sX_wDCbeuU

Kimchi based soup is to die for!

Comment

You guys are very talented! Looks delicious!

Comment

Great job !!! Sourdough grilled cheese sandwiches are the best ����

Be_Zero_Be
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          You Never Used To Be Older

Comment

Sourdough grilled ham and cheese sandwiches are the best .

There. Fixed it for you.

Comment

Sourdough grilled HAM, EGG and CHEESE sandwiches are the best
              Be_Zero_Be
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              You Never Used To Be Older

Comment

You guys are close..... Sourdough grilled HAM, EGG, CHEESE, and BACON is the best.

Comment

STOP IT! You're making me hungry!!!

Comment

Butter, bacon, avocado, tomato and grilled cheese.
                    OR, smoked salmon, creme fraiche and caper berries.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I make beer, bread, kimchi and every other fermented food item. I love the old way of fermenting to preserve or create food. JR
                      I guess we have taste similarities. If you have time, I'd love to find out how you make kimchi.

Comment

Spam, egg, sausage, and Spam, on sourdough bread, of course...

Comment

Do you make landjeager too? One of my favorite fermented foods, when they're done right. (tip - go easy on the dill, or leave it out completely, it ruins an otherwise excellent sausage)

Comment

I used to date this really nice number who had sourdough culture which had been in her family since the American Revolutionary War. For those who don't know: the culture is the yeast that is used in the bread. It is a living thing which has to be "fed" with certain scrap food (I don't know what) and it continues to replenish itself and thus grow back to original size. This had been going on with this particular culture since around 1776 though all the generations of her family.

Long story short - her VERY conscientious baby sitter (girlfriend was divorced) decided to do her a favor and clean out the fridge. You guessed it - she threw it out. Took Nancy a week to realize what had happened and by then it was long gone.

*Tongue in cheek* Needless to say I cut off our relationship. I was only interested in her for her culture.

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post
                              I used to date this really nice number who had sourdough culture which had been in her family since the American Revolutionary War. For those who don't know: the culture is the yeast that is used in the bread. It is a living thing which has to be "fed" with certain scrap food (I don't know what) and it continues to replenish itself and thus grow back to original size. This had been going on with this particular culture since around 1776 though all the generations of her family.

Long story short - her VERY conscientious baby sitter (girlfriend was divorced) decided to do her a favor and clean out the fridge. You guessed it - she threw it out. Took Nancy a week to realize what had happened and by then it was long gone.

*Tongue in cheek* Needless to say I cut off our relationship. I was only interested in her for her culture.
                              Surely in 200+ years another member of the family had some of this "mother"! Plus she had been selfish if she was not giving it away, you constantly have to prune a starter. I love sourdough, but having a starter is like having another pet, they need more attention than my cat, and don't meow when they're hungry.

Comment

Working...
                              X