anvil-vise combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anvil-vise combo

I'm always looking on ebay, and this unusual item jumped out at me https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-C...-Pz:rk:14:pf:0

That's pretty cool in some ways but it's not all that great a design. At least it's not that great if it's intended as a blacksmith's vise as the listing is suggesting.

First off the anvil upper cap seems to have a big ugly poor fitting joint between the anvil face and fixed jaw piece and the lower part. That's room for a lot of shaking and bouncing to occur so it won't do well as a proper anvil if it's that uneven all through that joint.

Second is the two skinny slide rods with a TALL movable jaw. That's just begging for a lot of flex in any number of directions if the vise is used hard. Plus any play in the holes for the slide rods will be magnified at the jaws to extra play.

So all in all I'm thinking it's not a blacksmith's vise. I'm thinking it's more like a wheelwrights vise or cooper's vise where the wright does SOME blacksmithing of iron tires or iron bands where that lighter face would be just fine. And that would also fit in with the otherwise pretty whimpy slide rods. For wood working they'd be fine where for serious metal shop use they'd be way less than ideal. The "C" jaws are perhaps places where wood jaws can slide into place for some uses.

Plus there are what appears to be some sockets on the front of the movable jaw that are for holding other things. Again that points to some other trade than blacksmithing to my eyes.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

ANTIQUE COMBO ANVIL & VISE "The Stewart Handy Worker" CHICAGO FLEXIBLE SHAFT CO. - $272.48. FOR SALE! Antique COMBO ANVIL & VISE "The Stewart Handy Worker" CHICAGO FLEXIBLE SHAFT CO. Antique COMBO ANVIL & VISE "The Stewart Handy Worker" CHICAGO FLEXIBLE SHAFT CO. Our Store | Ask A Question | Return Policy | Bookmark Us | Check our Feedback Being offered for sale is the vintage 162781979791

hand crank multi tool from the 1900s........grind vice anvil etc

Comment

I wasn't far off at seeing the pipe jaws. The geared accessories I didn't see coming at all.

And it just goes to show us once again how much fringe knowledge is out there on the interwebz ! ! !

A better peek at what the front gearing does.

michaels new toy ....1918 patented gadget. it grinds, drills, vice clamps, and has an anvil etc...oh and good for fixing rings that are bent out of shape.

Apparently it came with a stand with more functions. The inspiration for the Shop Smith all in one wood working tool?

Manufactured by Chicago Flexible Shaft, approximately 1915 ... a combination vise, grinder, drill press, anvil, and forge.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Some term the item an ALO, Anvil Like Object.

Comment

The more or less standard bench vise design is a combination of vise and anvil. The only thing that makes this one stand out is that it appears to be reversed: the vise jaws are to the rear where they will be over the bench top. And the anvil is sticking out front where it is easier to access. I would guess that it was designed by a forger. Personally, I like my bench vise's jaws to hang out past the front edge of the work bench so I can clamp a long rod or flat in them in a vertical position.

As for the particulars that are being mentioned, they also are somewhat unique but they seem to all be bad points, not good ones. And, IMHO, they are not as important as what I said above. In short, it may look different, but I doubt that it is a serious competitor for the standard bench vise.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

For some reason I am thinking tinsmith..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                For some reason I am thinking tinsmith..
                More about light duty blacksmithing after all. In my second post above with the YT links the stand comes with a forge pan and blower. But it just seems like a really light duty all around jack of all trades and hardly adequate at any. Something for a farmer or general tinkerer.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

This tool was made by the Chicago Flexible Shaft Company (as shown on the name plate) and is given the name 'Stewart'.

This company was a very successful maker of hand crank horse clippers and hand crank sheep shears. It was not long before these applications (especially the sheep shears) were met with a range of powered machines. Their products found a huge market in Australia, NZ and other wool producing countries under both "Stewart" and "Sunbeam" names.

These combination tools shown by the opening post are quite common in this part of the world and legend has it that if you bought a significant installation of sheep shearing equipment you would get one of these combination tools as a deal sweetener!

Comment

This is turning into an AWESOME THREAD ! ! ! ! !

The sheep shearing hand crank tool in a demo video. Note the leather covers over what I believe to be some pretty snazzy universal joints. Likely something along the lines of a CV joint rather than a common universal due to the angles involved. But it's surprising how well it works. And the writeups I'm finding say that it was the champ of the time for shearing sheep. And I can see why. That's pretty smooth work in this video.

Doing a public shearing demo using my 100+ year old human powered hand cranking sheep shearing machine and Chicago Flexible Shaft (Stewart no.7) handpiece fr...

And it would seem that CFS when on to be re-formed or grown into Sunbeam. And not the British car company. The American sewing machine and other manufacturing company.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

My father in laws dad was a metal and tool guy. I ended up with most of his tooling and odds. One thing he seemed to save was the anvil part of old vises that I am guessing got broke or didn't work. So I have 3-4 vise anvils laying around the shop. Nothing big but they are nice to have around.

Just so happen to have a pic with one of the more beat up anvils in the backgound.

Andy

Comment

The leather covered elbow joint is two spall cogs.

This of course is the handpiece but the elbow joint and often the joint at the top of the vertical tube are the same.
                        Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 01-03-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X