The Spline Adventure Continues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spline Adventure Continues.

thanx Yes I also thought In volute , I measured across the Mating gear, It was 1.025 Diameter, at least thats in side the gear at the Largest Diameter of the Spline. It also is a 15 Tooth and has from what I can deduct a 30 degree angles. Now I did look in the Internet for spline tools (expensive) and thought maybe one could be milled from ) 0-1 with a Tapered end mill the right diameter and angle (angle would be probably just relief) Like mill front of tool for Clearance then with tool In vice centralized (Indicated 0 0 ) a Plunge cut on each side to the correct Dimensions, This is some Information Gleaned from a John Stevenson Article. (He was a Good Guy!! ) this is all I have so far, If I had any cad skills I could maybe figure it out better. I was hoping a More Intelligent fella could maybe come up with some sketch of the Tool Needed, Then I could make one from silver steel or 0-1 and try to heat treat it afterwards. I have a oxy propane torch wich works quite well. Thank yoo guys Im in a Lurch with this.

I would be very surprised if it isnt one of the types mentioned in machinerys handbook. Thats the irst place i would look to get a cutter profile.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Why start another thread when your original thread hasn't even left the front page yet. Just curious.
      John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Mike when the second Post came it was a bit different in Topic regarding making possibly a Home Shop Tool to do this Job Correctly. Its all a learning experience for me, a relatively uneducated Fellow in the world of Splines and gears and How to make tooling for them. i find it Interesting as heck. i was hoping a more Knowledgable Fellow would shed some Light on the Tool parameters so I could possibly make one.

Comment

having the original parts available is a huge advantage. I would grab a piece of high speed steel and start grinding it to fit the existing splines, regardless of what type they may be. Of course its a good idea to try and figure it out through reference books just in case. I seem to recall that your spline count divides evenly into 360, so that is another huge advantage.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Like I said, I made one before,
            Hand ground my own single point cutter.
            Used 7075 aluminum shaft for it tying to save weight, and accelerate quicker.. I think was the goal..

Comment

If you require that exact spline of the Arctic Cat jackshaft on the 1" shaft they are pretty cheap to buy from salvage dealers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                Why start another thread when your original thread hasn't even left the front page yet. Just curious.
                Yeah, made absolutely no sense to me. Sounded like you were starting in the middle of something. The
                internet is a big place--we can't always guess what you're thinking...
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                  having the original parts available is a huge advantage. I would grab a piece of high speed steel and start grinding it to fit the existing splines, regardless of what type they may be. Of course its a good idea to try and figure it out through reference books just in case. I seem to recall that your spline count divides evenly into 360, so that is another huge advantage.
                  This is the only way to go in a home shop unless you have fancy tool grinder setups and measuring equipment.
                  No need to worry about what standard it is if you are never able to make the cutter based on print

Comment

Thanx Guys? My Original Post Arctic Cat

Thundercat Spline on Jack Shaft. Does any one know anything regarding these? Are they Involute Spline like a 30 degree stub .I dont know much about Splines. I thought first it was a straight 30 degree type but..almost looks a bit .Anyhow any Info would be good. Thanx Guys

My second Post was Inquiring as to the Proper Nomenclature to develop a suitable Cutting Tool in My Shop. I thought I made that Clear enough ?? Apparently Not. I apologize Guys for my communication Problem. If I Had a cad program I could project a Diagram on screen and see what size dia cutter would work. Anyhow thanx appreciate youre Time Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
                      Thanx Guys? My Original Post Arctic Cat

Thundercat Spline on Jack Shaft. Does any one know anything regarding these? Are they Involute Spline like a 30 degree stub .I dont know much about Splines. I thought first it was a straight 30 degree type but..almost looks a bit .Anyhow any Info would be good. Thanx Guys

My second Post was Inquiring as to the Proper Nomenclature to develop a suitable Cutting Tool in My Shop. I thought I made that Clear enough ?? Apparently Not. I apologize Guys for my communication Problem. If I Had a cad program I could project a Diagram on screen and see what size dia cutter would work. Anyhow thanx appreciate youre Time Mike
                      Make a flycutter toolbit to match existing spline and use that.

Machinery's handbook contains enough formulas about involute splines to give you headache but that would be the starting point if you want to dig deeper into these..

Comment

Thanx I dont have one. I will look into it have a bit of a idea from a Gentleman who is trying to show me how to make cutters. Two ways so far. Very Interesting . I will post when done and it works.

Comment

Wow I actually found some Information. Took a while but hears the Most Excellent Link from Mr John Stevenson ,,may he rest in Peace.. He was a amazing Fellow. I still cherish the custom division Plates he made for me. Thanx

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Involute-shaft

Comment

I recently purchased a copy of Gearotic written by Art Fenharty, the original author of Mach 3. Awesome program even if you don’t have CNC, although it a gearcutting Cam program too. I was amazed by what it can do for $150 bucks. Does gears, splines, cams, non circular gears, bevel gears, hypoids, clock ratchet wheels, amazing! Art is true master of this kind of programming.

Comment

Well after a bit of Mucking around got my First spline machined. Came out Good and fit Perfect. Thanks for all the assistance. Helped a Lot. I had not much luck with homemade cutter. Found one finally, was hard to figure what it was but..learned a Bunch again. Thanx
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X