Where do you all go for end mills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you all go for end mills?

Looking for quality carbide end mills 1/4 - 5/8 inch range. Used to get them from Enco when they had their 20% specials....but alias..

Thanks

Mike
    Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

KBC Toronto branch, Incredible personal service, fast shipping.

Comment

Most of mine are bought on ebay, if you keep looking, a bargain will turn up. I sometimes buy resharpened and recoated carbides, the exact diameter doesn't matter to me much. Also, I bought some used 6mm solid carbides at about £1 each, and when they arrived and I had a look at them, I immediately bought the rest of their stock. They may not have been new, but I recon they were 90% and great value for HSM use.
      I have bought 20mm solid carbides on ebay for £15 and have several 12mm ones for around £8 to £12.
      Last edited by old mart; 01-08-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

MSC, EBAY, Harvey Dealers, YG1, Lake Shore Carbide. I do a lot of aluminum so I always check Ebay for deals on Alu-Power mills.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Ebay

Comment

Amazon

Comment

ebay
              Andy

Comment

I needed a 10 TPI thread mill for a project making some 3/4-10 stainless nuts (special prototypes). The solid carbide tool that size was in the $250 to $350 range across different suppliers. I found a new, top name brand one on Amazon for under $40!!! Got it in 2 days. Pretty Amazin. Parts done, everyone is happy.

Comment

I get some good deals on Amazon sometimes and usually better deals on ebay also for some sizes instead of buying from importers like shars etc if I don't need it right now . I buy straight from China. I have bought some I was very surprised at how well they worked for 2 dollar endmills an importer would sell for 15-20 i bought 5 1/4 4 flute hss I expected to be bad but took a gamble for a buck a piece that worked great also got some 1/2 and 12 mm that were good

Comment

Hmm

If you buy from China though check sizes .I have seen some sellers that will say they are a certain size then send you a metric close to that. I ordered some 1/2 once and the guy sent me 12mm so I asked him for the correct size and explained 1/2 inch and 12 mm are not the same size he just said keep them and gave me a refund

Comment

I bought 100's of pounds of new+used endmills at the last couple of machine shop auctions and after sorting through the new/used ones, I ended up with around 200-300lbs of new ones and around 100lbs of used ones. I gave Duckman ~100lbs++ of used endmills+drills when he picked up the free stuff I was getting rid of before Christmas. I have enough endmills and types of endmills that I could use each one just once and throw it away and probably never run out or ever need to buy an endmill for the next ~40 years. I've got tons of solid carbide, M42, and HSS endmills.

Comment

3 Phase

Is that a hint that you need to reduce your stockpile? If So PM me...

Learned my lesson buying imported end mills the hard way. Ordered three to four hundred dollars’ worth of HSS end mills from a company whose name starts with S. Those things couldn’t cut thru hot butter.

A ¼ inch end mill couldn’t make a ½ long inch cut .015 deep in 12l14; it was toast halfway thru the cut….seriously. And no I wasn’t running the mill in reverse  after the second one failed…. They went in the trash… lessoned learned.

Switched to USA made (Atrax and Melin), from then on, no issues.

Speaking of Atrax, saw a few Ebay listings for Atrax end mills sourced from India. USA made end mills coming from India in bulk, with the cool little blue Atrax tube and “Made in USA” sticker. Enough to make a person go Hummm….
                        Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Where do you all go for end mills?
                          the sharp box.

The dull ones go in the dull box.

when there's no more room in the dull box, time to sharpen

I'm being a bit cute, that is the system, but the system started long ago when I didn't many and the good ones are expensive. Since, I've bought many complete kits over years and have so many new ones and resharpened now that years go by without needing to grind. A nice part about that is they all come from industry so the quality is good. I seems like things changed 2-3 years ago, you used to buy a whole kit, full roll around and top box for say $700 cdn, now the kids selling it expect to retire on it lol. End of the day, I haven't bought one retail in a decade or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunter View Post
                            Speaking of Atrax, saw a few Ebay listings for Atrax end mills sourced from India. USA made end mills coming from India in bulk, with the cool little blue Atrax tube and “Made in USA” sticker. Enough to make a person go Hummm….
                            Yeah, I was looking at ISCAR inserts. Wondering how another middleman can be added in China and still be cheaper than US or Israeli discount stock. Many used to show the inserts and they looked nothing like the "real" ones (chip breakers, etc.). Some of the sellers are wising up. They show pictures of the real brand names they're selling but ship floor sweepings from the insert manufacturers over there. They even copy and sell the boxes and labels for major manufacturers without any inserts--You supply the inserts of your choice. I don't know how they get away with it. Oh wait, yes I do. It's China.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                              Since, I've bought many complete kits over years ...

Complete kits? Of endmills? You mean like those wood boxes you sometimes see with a handful of 2 flute and 4 flute?

I guess for guys who are performing an unknown range of projects one of those might be ok to get started, but now I buy the endmills I need for the jobs I am going to be doing. With shipping being so quick these days its not hard to look at my projects boards and think about what I will be needing in the next week or so. Of course being a daily working shop I do have a couple drawers full of new ball mills and square end mills sorted by size. I use a lot of small stuff, and when a mill is starting to throw up an excessive burr I replace it with one out of the new drawer, and toss the old one in the carbide recycling pot on the bench. I hardly use any HSS mills. Just a very few.
                              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X