X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mihit
    replied
    Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Odd thing happened today. I was using my Win10 laptop around noon, accessing Google maps and whatnot. I tried to print a map, but no printer drivers could be found. So I used my other Dell Win8 laptop to do that. Then I closed the lids on both machines and I took the Dell with me but didn't need to use it.

When I got back home, I tried to use Firefox, and it could not connect. I checked the available WiFi connections, and found only two, none of which are mine, and then they disappeared, reporting no connections available. But my Android device connected normally, and when I rebooted in Ubuntu, this same machine is working just fine! Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

I changed the windscreen wipers on my car and the next day I won a.$2 scratchie...

There are plenty of windows help forums. Sorry, but i just refuse to try and fix what's inherently broken,
    CorrelatIon and faults are rarely connected in windows. Just as well that they tell you 0x11 11101010000011010101.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    OK, I switched back to Win10, and connected my router via an Ethernet cable. That gave me internet access. Then I unpluhgged it, and the WiFi Icon appeared and I can see multiple connections. I checked the Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC in Device Manager and tried to update the driver but it showed already up to date. Goofy!

Last few days I spent probably 15 hours scanning 600 slides from 1970 to 1976, and as I did I saw that the "One Drive" sync was active and updating. But at one point it gave a warning that my 5 GB free OneDrive storage was full and it could not sync any more files. I tried removing some large files that I didn't really care about, but only freed up a few hundred MB. So I decided to stop syncing my "Pictures" folder, intending to back them up with an external USB drive. But when I did so, it seemed that the files on my hard drive were now gone! I was able to download them from One Drive, and then somehow it seemed that the files reappeared, but it's confusing, and the help page says that if you uncheck the Pictures folder, the files will be removed from your computer, but they can still be downloaded.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5-a14ff2415e85

That is very disturbing!

BTW, I used a thing called ION Slides2PC, and it works pretty well, although the software is clunky. Many of the older slides are badly faded, but the software did a nice job of restoring color and proper brightness. It also helped to clean off almost 50 years of mildew. This is the first image in the roll, taken August 1970, before and after:

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Odd thing happened today. I was using my Win10 laptop around noon, accessing Google maps and whatnot. I tried to print a map, but no printer drivers could be found. So I used my other Dell Win8 laptop to do that. Then I closed the lids on both machines and I took the Dell with me but didn't need to use it.

When I got back home, I tried to use Firefox, and it could not connect. I checked the available WiFi connections, and found only two, none of which are mine, and then they disappeared, reporting no connections available. But my Android device connected normally, and when I rebooted in Ubuntu, this same machine is working just fine! Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!
    This typically means that either the drivers have been disabled or the settings have been changed. Would Win10 do that to you? On occasion. Check your drivers to make sure that it's running one (and only one) that is compatible with your wireless chip and that it's properly configured.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• skunkworks
    replied
    This is my laptop - only reason it is only 4 days is my battery went dead when I forgot to plug it in. Normally it is months..

[email protected]:~$ uptime
    17:55:52 up 4 days, 4:15, 1 user, load average: 0.40, 0.43, 0.40

sam

Leave a comment:

• mihit
    replied
    Yeah, I used some of the GUI apps, but it still could not find any Bluetooth devices. On the same machine, using Win10, I was able to connect the BT300 headset as well as an HC-05 module configured as a serial device. The device manager in Windows shows a Realtek Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, and a Bluetooth device (RFCOMM protocol TDI). Also Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator.

I really don't need Linux, anyway, but it was fun while it lasted. It also showed some instability. When the screen blanked and it went inactive, sometimes it would wake up showing the icons for the running apps in the left sidebar, but their windows would not open. I had to do a soft reboot, which saved the activity and restored the sessions, but sometimes it needed a hard power-off shutdown and restart.

I took a video which I will post once I transfer it from my camera.
    That's that Gnome DE...

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Yeah, I used some of the GUI apps, but it still could not find any Bluetooth devices. On the same machine, using Win10, I was able to connect the BT300 headset as well as an HC-05 module configured as a serial device. The device manager in Windows shows a Realtek Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, and a Bluetooth device (RFCOMM protocol TDI). Also Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator.

I really don't need Linux, anyway, but it was fun while it lasted. It also showed some instability. When the screen blanked and it went inactive, sometimes it would wake up showing the icons for the running apps in the left sidebar, but their windows would not open. I had to do a soft reboot, which saved the activity and restored the sessions, but sometimes it needed a hard power-off shutdown and restart.

I took a video which I will post once I transfer it from my camera.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Heron
    replied
    Yup, try blueman if you want a gui.
    If your using ubuntu:
    sudo apt-get install blueman bluez-utils bluez bluetooth.
    Some broadcom chipsets aren't supported (like the one in my Asus tower).
    Good luck!
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• mihit
    replied
    I'm not familiar with that bluetoothctl and despise the gnome DE, but that's an aside.
    I'd use hcitool on the CLI and blueman-applet on desktop. Installing blueman-applet should pull all the required deps, then *just work*

There may also be a button on the headset you need to push/hold to put it in pairing mode.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I'll have to check that out. Here is what I have tried using the Linux terminal. The Bluetooth is turned on but still cannot discover the headset.
    Code:
    [email protected]:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    [sudo] password for paul: 
    [ ok ] Starting bluetooth (via systemctl): bluetooth.service.
    [email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get purge blueman bluez-utils bluez bluetooth
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package 'bluez-utils' is not installed, so not removed
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      blueman* bluetooth* bluez* gnome-bluetooth* pulseaudio-module-bluetooth*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 10.3 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    (Reading database ... 220762 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing blueman (2.0.5-1ubuntu1) ...
    Removing bluetooth (5.48-0ubuntu3.1) ...
    Removing gnome-bluetooth (3.28.0-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Removing pulseaudio-module-bluetooth (1:11.1-1ubuntu7.1) ...
    Removing bluez (5.48-0ubuntu3.1) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.56.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
    Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
    (Reading database ... 220304 files and directories currently installed.)
    Purging configuration files for blueman (2.0.5-1ubuntu1) ...
    Purging configuration files for bluez (5.48-0ubuntu3.1) ...
    dpkg: warning: while removing bluez, directory '/var/lib/bluetooth' not empty so not removed
    Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-20) ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    Processing triggers for systemd (237-3ubuntu10.11) ...
    [email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install blueman bluez-utils bluez bluetooth
    Building dependency tree       
    Package bluez-utils is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      bluez:i386 bluez

E: Package 'bluez-utils' has no installation candidate
    [email protected]:~$ snap install bluez
    bluez 5.47-3 from Canonical✓ installed
    [email protected]:~$ snap interfaces | grep blue
    bluez:service                              -
    :bluetooth-control                         -
    :bluez                                     -
    :home                                      bluez,gnome-characters,gnome-logs,libreoffice
    :uhid                                      bluez
    -                                          bluez:bluetooth-control
    -                                          bluez:client
    -                                          bluez:network-control
    -                                          libreoffice:bluez
    [email protected]:~$ blueman

Command 'blueman' not found, did you mean:

command 'bluemon' from deb bluemon

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install blueman bluez:i386 bluetooth
    Building dependency tree       
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     bluez:i386 : Depends: libdbus-1-3:i386 (>= 1.9.14) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libglib2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.31.8) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libudev1:i386 (>= 196) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    [email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install blueman
    [sudo] password for paul: 
    Building dependency tree       
    Recommended packages:
      pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      blueman
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/1,686 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 5,023 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously unselected package blueman.
    (Reading database ... 221143 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../blueman_2.0.5-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking blueman (2.0.5-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.56.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
    Setting up blueman (2.0.5-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
    [email protected]:~$
    Also did this, still no joy:
    Code:
    [email protected]:~$ cd /
    [email protected]:/$ cd ..
    [email protected]:/$ bluetooth-agent 1234
    bluetooth-agent: command not found
    [email protected]:/$ bluetoothctl
    [NEW] Controller 4C:BB:58:AD:A7:A3 paul-Satellite-L55D-C [default]
    Agent registered
    [bluetooth]# power on
    Changing power on succeeded
    [bluetooth]# devices
    [bluetooth]# scan on
    Discovery started
    [CHG] Controller 4C:BB:58:AD:A7:A3 Discovering: yes
    [bluetooth]# devices
    [bluetooth]# agent on
    Agent is already registered
    [bluetooth]# q
    Invalid command
    [bluetooth]# quit
    Agent unregistered
    [DEL] Controller 4C:BB:58:AD:A7:A3 paul-Satellite-L55D-C [default]
    [email protected]:/$
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 01-25-2019, 09:54 PM. Reason: added steps

Leave a comment:

• skunkworks
    replied
    I bought a bluetooth mouse around 2007... (yes 2007). I bought this for my dell xps running some form of ubuntu at the time. I don't really remember it working that great and I gave up on it. Fast forward to a few months ago. Got a MSI laptop with a clickpad. (boy do I hate click pads) blew the dust off of the V470 logitech 'laser mouse for laptops' and gave it a second try. Holy crap - it works way better (or I am smart enough to get it working decent now) Now I carry the laptop and the mouse where ever I go.

I don't have any gui to setup the bluetooth devices - so I did it command line. 1 false start but got it working...

used these directions - https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser#Pairing_using_CLI and Using bluetoothctl

The mouse has always worked - everytime I use the laptop. It has been awesome.

As far as virtual machines - I use kvm/qemu...

Short video on how I use it....

Leave a comment:

• mihit
    replied
    Bluetooth functions flawlessly, with every device I've cared to try, on Debian. Since Ubuntu is downstream, I imagine it shouldn't be impossible to get working.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I found that the Bluetooth headset also would not connect when running Windows 10. So I had to download and install the Toshiba drivers. Even then, it acted funny, finding my Dell Win8 laptop, and various names for the headset. Finally, after removing a USB disk drive (which was named a USB-serial bridge), the BT300 was displayed and installed.

However, I am unable to find the device and connect in Ubuntu. I think I'll be sticking with Windows for most things now.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I've been running Ubuntu Linux on my Toshiba Satellite for a couple weeks now, and I like it. I wanted to find a way to create GUI applications that run on this OS, and I found out that Lazarus (similar to Borland Delphi) can be installed and produce Linux executables. So I just made my first "Hello World" app. If you are running Linux, please try this and see if it works on your system. If so, this will be an easy way for me (or you, if you can code in Pascal) to perform various functions and develop unique applications.

http://enginuitysystems.com/files/Linux1 (20 MB)

I learned that in Linux, an ".exe" extension is not required.

If you want to try Lazarus, you can obtain the files here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

You must download and install three compressed files, and then the Lazarus application will appear in your installed software. Then just click to open the IDE, and add whatever components you wish. My simple application just has a line of text and a button that changes that text.

The code (most of which is automatically generated):
    Code:
    unit Unit1;

{$mode objfpc}{$H+}

interface

uses
      Classes, SysUtils, FileUtil, Forms, Controls, Graphics, Dialogs, StdCtrls;

type

{ TForm1 }

TForm1 = class(TForm)
        Button1: TButton;
        Label1: TLabel;
        procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
      private

public

end;

var
      Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.lfm}

{ TForm1 }

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    begin
      Label1.Caption:= 'Hello World';
    end;

end.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I can download a copy of Windows 7: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

And VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Now I am trying to get the Bluetooth on my Ubuntu machine to pair with some headphones I bought. They worked fine on my Win8 machine. Apparently BT is a known problem in Linux.
    https://codeyarns.com/2017/03/02/how...es-with-linux/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothHeadset
    https://www.nielsvandermolen.com/blu...phones-ubuntu/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X