Need Rigid drill press arbor taper size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Rigid drill press arbor taper size

Hello all! First post here. Need to replace my chuck and arbor (arbor currently stuck in drill press but not for long!) as the arbor is bent due to an oopsies years ago and time to fix it right! Cheap soft Chinese arbor bent. I can’t find my owners manual for the drill press and cannot locate info online. Short of calling RIGID to find out info I thought I’d try my luck at the forums first. I “think” it’s an mt2 taper on the machine side and can’t swear to it. The machine is a Rigid 15” floor drill press model# DP15501. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Welderguyaz75 (Matt)

This looks like the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26...d-Dp15501.html

Comment

Welcome Aboard ! ! ! !

Chances are good that you can reach in and measure the big end of the quill side of the arbor taper between the nose of the quill and the chuck. Then THIS TABLE of Morse sizes can be used to identify if it's MT2 or 3.

When you're wailing away at the wedge try to strike upwards at an angle so the wedge levers at the same time it's trying to wedge in. I find that this reduces the force I need to use to about half what it takes if driven straight inward.

Comment

Thanks folks, much appreciated!

Comment

It looks like the arbor may simply have a Jacobs taper on the end, and only the chuck comes off. To know for sure, run the quill all the way down and see if there's a slot going through for a removal wedge. To find the mounting taper of the chuck, look around the chuck just under the teeth for the chuck key. The chuck jaw opening range and taper should be engraved there.

Comment

Yep, go to page 38 and it clearly shows the one piece quill with Jacobs taper on the end. That's pretty sad for a 15" floor drill in my books. I was assuming that a drill that size would have a Morse taper quill.

It also means that if the chuck is running out due to a bent quill that it'll need some pretty careful straightening to get it back to true. Plus the best way to get it off without further damage would be a set of wedges used just for removing chucks from Jacobs tapers.

Comment

Roger, no slot, I wish. I’ve had it out years ago so I’m pretty sure it’s a Morse taper but I’ll solvebit today. Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                Yep, go to page 38 and it clearly shows the one piece quill with Jacobs taper on the end. That's pretty sad for a 15" floor drill in my books. I was assuming that a drill that size would have a Morse taper quill.

It also means that if the chuck is running out due to a bent quill that it'll need some pretty careful straightening to get it back to true. Plus the best way to get it off without further damage would be a set of wedges used just for removing chucks from Jacobs tapers.
                Pretty sad? Not exactly, this drill is one of many stationary power tools released under the Ridgid logo and sold by HomDee.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Roger, no slot, I wish. I’ve had it out years ago so I’m pretty sure it’s a Morse taper but I’ll solvebit today. Thanks for your help
                  No slot on the quill where you can look in and see the arbor tang means no morse taper. Without the slot to reach the tang there's no reasonable way to drive the chuck and arbor out of the quill. Perhaps a threaded collar at the base that pushes the chuck and arbor out? it would be an odd way to do it but not out of the question. But it doesn't show that arrangement in the manual either. And the parts diagram on the page mentioned also does not show a separate arbor.

Mind you if the drill you have is not the same one in that linked manual then that's different. But still, if you can't run the quill down and see a slot and there's no odd threaded extractor on the nose of the quill that's pretty much it for the idea of a morse arbor.

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  Pretty sad? Not exactly, this drill is one of many stationary power tools released under the Ridgid logo and sold by HomDee.
                  Still pretty sad. A drill press of that size really should have a morse taper quill. And most all others do. Until I saw this thread I would have assumed that they all did at this size.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Hello all! First post here. Need to replace my chuck and arbor (arbor currently stuck in drill press but not for long!) as the arbor is bent due to an oopsies years ago and time to fix it right! Cheap soft Chinese arbor bent. I can’t find my owners manual for the drill press and cannot locate info online. Short of calling RIGID to find out info I thought I’d try my luck at the forums first. I “think” it’s an mt2 taper on the machine side and can’t swear to it. The machine is a Rigid 15” floor drill press model# DP15501. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
                    Welderguyaz75 (Matt)
                    Mine was bent too, not terribly but enough to see when I had a smaller drill chucked in it. My wife's brother was here and I showed him and asked him if there was anything that could be done, He put an indicator on the chuck, found the "high spot" and borrowed my no-bounce hammer. One hit and the bend was straightened to less than a thou. I'd say it would be worth one try. You aren't likely to make it any "broker".

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      . . .that's pretty much it for the idea of a morse arbor. . .
                      Maybe it is bored all the way through and you can punch it out from the top.

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                        Maybe it is bored all the way through and you can punch it out from the top.
                        He could check to be sure but that would be another first from my own experience. There's also nothing in the manual, if that is the right manual. And surely it would show an MT arbor in the parts diagram.

Comment

I have a Delta 17" drill press, it doesn't have a separate arbour, just a Jacobs taper on the end of the quill.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R View Post
                            I have a Delta 17" drill press, it doesn't have a separate arbour, just a Jacobs taper on the end of the quill.
                            Yeah, lots of them are like that. Most often only the better, larger drills come with morse taper spindles...
                            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
                              Mine was bent too, not terribly but enough to see when I had a smaller drill chucked in it. My wife's brother was here and I showed him and asked him if there was anything that could be done, He put an indicator on the chuck, found the "high spot" and borrowed my no-bounce hammer. One hit and the bend was straightened to less than a thou. I'd say it would be worth one try. You aren't likely to make it any "broker".
                              Good advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X