Can anyone advise what these are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone advise what these are?

I recently just got around to unloading those crates of tooling in the garage that I grabbed from the widow across the street about 8 years ago. I’m finding some stuff that I can’t figure out what it is. Can anyone advise what this set of circular discs are used for?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they identical except for the hole? Do the part markings differ, or they related in some way to the hole sizes? How big are they?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      Are they identical except for the hole? Do the part markings differ, or they related in some way to the hole sizes? How big are they?
      They are the same size except for the Center hole. I’ll look for markings when I get home.

I’m also putting them in my ultrasonic cleaner with evaporust. Some rusty 5C collets came out great yesterday.

Comment

At least one of them has stampings on the edge. Might suggest something. They certainly seem to be some manner of graduated holes. No idea though.

Too thin for a punch die. And not finished well enough to be a size gauge. They seem to cover quite a size range too.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

They would ake great centering discs for a 3 jaw, leave enough meat to face off , or cut a shouldet.

Comment

looks like you got a full set - im very interested to hear what they are for - i bet the last guy who used them is dead, so wash your hands good u don't want to catch dead man germs...

Comment

Can anyone advise what these are?

the last guy who used them died in 1978. they were in his widow's basement since then. along with that old Clausing 6339 lathe thats in pieces in my basement.

Here’s the markings on the top. T-1587-B 5/8
              Last edited by Joe From NY; 01-19-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

They almost look like a set of dummy bearings for setting up gears in an axle.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe From NY View Post
                  the last guy who used them died in 1978. they were in his widow's basement since then. along with that old Clausing 6339 lathe thats in pieces in my basement.

Here’s the markings on the top. T-1587-B 5/8
                  Because of the hole size (Bean) in the center of each disk they look like choke discs used for production testing of gas and oil wells.
                  Gas and fluids flow through the bean size and calculated out to how many cubic feet or cubic meters the well is producing.

Comment

I don’t think that’s it. The guy was a local machinist working with a Clausing lathe and a Bridgeport down his basement on Long Island . Everything down there was used for those two machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe From NY View Post
                      I don’t think that’s it. The guy was a local machinist working with a Clausing lathe and a Bridgeport down his basement on Long Island . Everything down there was used for those two machines.

And you have nothing in your shop not used with your machines, or at least not known to be so used? Starting perhaps with these discs.......

Maybe the fellow had thought of a different use and either used them that way (nobody knows he did not), or had some plan, or maybe thought they "might be useful". Not everything in my shop works with my machines.... some is just cool, some came in a "lot" with other stuff and I have never got rid of it.
                      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I think they are "home made". For a job and the box is also. Very tight tolerance on the OD might mean bar stock that is available off the shelf.

Wire gauge comes to mind. I dond know. They were important to some mechanic. Make them nice again and clean the holder JR

I meant wire drawing..
                        Last edited by JRouche; 01-20-2019, 01:13 AM.

Comment

sounds like only one guy might have really known what their for, are there any family members still alive for a possible seance? if not we could still get a wee-gee board and see how it goes,

I know some people - who know some people...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            are there any family members still alive for a possible seance? if not we could still get a wee-gee board and see how it goes,
                            Ouija.

Comment

Only thing i can come up with is that they install in the backside of the lathes drive unit to hold the longer pieces of stock and keep them stable rather than just counting on the lathes chuck?

hence all the different sizes? don't know just grasping at straws here

Comment

Working...
                              X