No announcement yet.

Can anyone advise what these are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That square hole, and what looks like a set screw in the item at the end oof the arm suggests to me some sort of radius turning device, it would possibly take a cutter. Since is is not very adjustable, perhaps not actually a radius turner, but something with a similar action.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Regardless of its original use, it looks like it would be good for quick-n-dirty dividing jobs
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

A sense of scale would help.

Note that it is made of weldments.
        Last edited by 1200rpm; 01-20-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

It sure looks like it could be used as a radius / ball turning attachment. Put a square toolbit in the end of that round thing and you have something that will orbit the end of a rod.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

The way striper plates work. Thay are mounted above the product, the punch comes down going through the striper plates, then punches hole in product, pushing the slug out, on the way up the product contacts the striper plate, it holds the product as the machine pulls the punch out. Without them product gets stuck on the punch.

We used punch presses to put holes in box end wrenches before broaching them.

Comment

Originally posted by markx View Post
              That would make a brilliant practical joke !
              I've been thinking that such trick might have been invented way before our time. I digress from machining, but for example the "Voynich manuscript" comes to mind regarding such a practice: a mystical handwritten book that has pages upon pages of unknown language and illustrations that have puzzled the researchers for centuries. Nobody has been able to make any sense from the writings and illustrations, nor have they found any resemblance to any known language. Even supercomputers have not been able to crack these writings. So it seems to me that we might have been tricked into seeking purpose where there is none to be found. Perhaps an ancient rich nobleman ordered this book as a practical joke and if so, then it must be the most successful one over ages

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                It sure looks like it could be used as a radius / ball turning attachment. Put a square toolbit in the end of that round thing and you have something that will orbit the end of a rod.

Dan
                He must have made those handle balls with it
                Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

it appears to be 40:1??

Comment

setting rings for dial bore gage.

Comment

Great index!
                      Andy

Comment

Come on guys, this one is dead simple to ID.

It's a source for a nice worm and worm gear with a three ball handle attached. And at 40:1 it is a great start on an indexing head. The rest is scrap.

Originally posted by Joe From NY View Post
                        Here’s another odd thing I found in the bin a while back. I don’t know it’s use either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 01-22-2019, 03:17 AM.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

A classic case of a thread wandering away from its topic, why don't people start a new one?

Comment

It’s actually two just items that I’m looking to identify. I’d appreciate opinions on either or both.

Comment

The doughnuts are "press pads" for pressing various sized small shafts, bushings and bearings on and off with an arbor press. The counterbores fit over a boss built into the arbor platform. They are identical except for hole size 1) so they fit over the special boss that was made for the press platform 2) so they all fit uniformly into the wooden case. I'm absolutely sure the previous owner would want whoever figured this out to have them...after you get them polished and refinish the case. I will PM you my address and gladly pay for shipping. Is my new arbor press still there? Thank you.
                              Last edited by rmcphearson; 01-22-2019, 11:53 AM.
                              -Roland
                              Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
                                The doughnuts are "press pads" for pressing various sized small shafts, bushings and bearings on and off with an arbor press. The counterbores fit over a boss built into the arbor platform. They are identical except for hole size 1) so they fit over the special boss that was made for the press platform 2) so they all fit uniformly into the wooden case. I'm absolutely sure the previous owner would want whoever figured this out to have them...after you get them polished and refinish the case. I will PM you my address and gladly pay for shipping. Is my new arbor press still there? Thank you.
                                There’s another piece in one of the bins that might go with it. If it stays above 10 degrees outside today I’ll get out to the garage and get a photo.

Comment

Working...
                                X