OT: Tooth Brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Tooth Brushes

I cannot find a decent soft bristle toothbrush, anybody know of a brand and where to buy?

Everything I get, oral b, colgate etc, says soft bristle, but are harder than my small stainless brushes. These new ones work great in the parts washer, but are ripping my gums apart.

Stick with it and your gums will get used to it. You probably have gingivitis if your gums cant currently handle a name brand toothbrush.

Use one of these Hydro Floss units with "pocket pal" tips and fill it 50/50 with water + Listerine. Flush your gums out once a day with 50/50 water/Listerine and I guarantee you after a week or so, your gums will be healthy again. Make sure you only use the "pocket pal" tips that have a soft precision point to them. They slip right under your gums and completely flush out your pockets.

EDIT: Stock up on Listerine (or generic brand) as you'll be using a ~1L bottle every week or so in your new Hydro Floss unit.

Last edited by ; 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedave View Post
      I cannot find a decent soft bristle toothbrush, anybody know of a brand and where to buy?
      I have noticed the same thing. They are pretty firm these days, even the so-called softs. Most people push really hard when they brush and you need a firm toothbrush to do that. People tend to brush hard rather than floss.

You really need to dig in the selection, usually on the bottom shelf, to find the one or two ultra-soft toothbrushes. Many places don't carry them. I have used US's from Oral-B and Colgate. The Colgate has a tongue cleaner on the back that I don't care for. There are a bunch of softs on ebay, some fancy.

Ask your dentist what you should be using, and about technique.

Comment

Most people seem to brush their teeth on the topside, and ignore the sides of the teeth... And apparently hardly anyone uses floss. This from the dentist and hygienist. For that, harder brushes are OK, so maybe that is why those are stocked more.

There are soft brushes, but you will need to search for them My dentist hands out brushes each time you are in for a cleaning, and the ones he hands out are pretty soft. I have not asked how to find them elsewhere, because I find them right there! The problem I have is that the new brushes have thick handles and those do not fit into the built-in toothbrush holder that is set into the wall.

As I recall, we did find soft brushes at Walgreen's. That was some time ago however.

if you are in the minority who actually DO use floss, try "dental tape" instead of regular floss... it is a flat wider form of floss, and does IMO a better job.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

My dental hygienist gives me a tooth brush at the end of every visit. With regular tooth cleaning visits I seldom purchase any. They are stiff the first time or two that I use them but soften up quickly.

I would suggest that you soak the new brushes in water for a day or so before using them. If that does not soften them enough, add a bit of soap to the water and rinse them well before use.

And if you don't have a tooth cleaning appointment at least every six months, I suggest that you start doing that.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Stick with it and your gums will get used to it. You probably have gingivitis if your gums cant currently handle a name brand toothbrush.

Use one of these Hydro Floss units with "pocket pal" tips and fill it 50/50 with water + Listerine. Flush your gums out once a day with 50/50 water/Listerine and I guarantee you after a week or so, your gums will be healthy again. Make sure you only use the "pocket pal" tips that have a soft precision point to them. They slip right under your gums and completely flush out your pockets.

EDIT: Stock up on Listerine (or generic brand) as you'll be using a ~1L bottle every week or so in your new Hydro Floss unit.

Please post picture of gums and Dr. 3 Phase will diagnose.

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL..................
              I pre-bill and I don't accept any dental insurance so plan accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL..................
                His advice coincides with the advice my dental hygienist gave me.

Comment

I had the opposite problem as i feel the brushes are too soft and don't do a damn thing, good luck trying to find one that says "firm" it seems they don't make them anymore...

although i have found some mediums that are pretty good they are called "reach" and when used with arm and hammer toothpaste with baking soda will keep the plaque off your teeth

what's also important is replacing your brush often as the bristles will get rounded and even if firm will not scrape the plaque off as good... my gums have never had a problem

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    I had the opposite problem as i feel the brushes are too soft and don't do a damn thing, good luck trying to find one that says "firm" it seems they don't make them anymore...

although i have found some mediums that are pretty good they are called "reach" and when used with arm and hammer toothpaste with baking soda will keep the plaque off your teeth

what's also important is replacing your brush often as the bristles will get rounded and even if firm will not scrape the plaque off as good... my gums have never had a problem
                    I have the same problem. I found Weiler makes a great stainless steel bristle toothbrush that does stay firm for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Me as well, firm and long bristles, no goofy rubber flappers either.
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Dedave View Post

Everything I get, oral b, colgate etc, says soft bristle, but are harder than my small stainless brushes. These new ones work great in the parts washer, but are ripping my gums apart.
                        If you're having issues with the commercial soft brushes you SERIOUSLY need to go see your Dentist. If you are brushing at least once a day and using a soft bristle brush that is reasonably new and still bleeding every time or nearly every time then it's not your toothbrush. You've either got a gum condition, your brushing method is wacky or you need to combine brushing with flossing or there's something else going on. No way soft bristle brushes will tear up your gums unless something else is also at work.
                        Last edited by BCRider; 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The ones my dentist hands out are "G.U.M." brand (No, not from russia). So there is a brand that does have the soft bristle.

If the soft brushes do not do anything, try flossing also, and brush more than once a week.... It takes a day or two for the "tartar" to harden to the point that it is hard to remove, according to the dentist. You need to get to it faster than that, and use a toothpaste that has a little gentle abrasive in it, like Colgate "Optic White".
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I use Nimbus microfine toothbrushes. My dentist use to give them away but he retired and the new dentist gives out Colgate toothbrushes. So now I order Nimbus on line at: www.nimbusdental.com

Comment

Oral-B, Colgate and water-pik for me. You might need a dentist's review. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X