OT: Tooth Brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shavings View Post
    I use Nimbus microfine toothbrushes. My dentist use to give them away but he retired and the new dentist gives out Colgate toothbrushes. So now I order Nimbus on line at: www.nimbusdental.com
    Those actually look like good brushes.

Interesting thing, yesterday I was looking for a compound cross slide and in the process ran across a nimbus brand, can't find the link back, so I searched this morning and found this

A quick run and walkaround of a 1948 Nimbus Type C. The longitudinally-mounted ~750cc inline-4 engine features gorgeous exposed overhead valves inside an int...

But it is not a broom for cribbage.

Anyway, the varied responses here are quite interesting to read.

I will search for an Ultra Soft. Problem is advertising gimmick have distorted what used to be a soft brush, and they are not soft by any means or practicality. I can't imagine what a "hard" bristle would be other than the weller brush, and I have brass that is softer than what they call soft by the major "tooth expert" companies.

As far as what the dentists say, 4 out of 5 are idiots. My gums are healthy, but taking a beating by the crap toothbrushes. I have been blessed with crappy teeth due to tetracycline as a child, but they are mine and a complete set. I love smoothies, but really like biting into apples, so to keep them, I am a bit careful.

Interesting thing here, and most of you probably understand.

What the masses prefer is generally not based on any facts. Walk into Home Depot or any other big box store and you'll understand why you own your own machine to make the stuff you need. You may go to a big box store thinking they should carry simple everyday widget, only to find the New Improved widget that don't work.

Comment

As several have said, the OP really needs to see his dentist............the sooner the better, while he still has teeth.

2 cleanings a year for me. Switched to Oral B electric from Sonicare. Hygienist complemented me on lack of tartar since using Oral B. Just bought a WaterPik Flosser, use it morning and night.
      Like it much better than regular string type flossing.

Insurance covers cleanings. Just found out the dentist charges $75 to peak into your mouth after cleaning. My wife pays the bills so I never noticed the dentist's charge.
      Last edited by DR; 01-23-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

"Flossing brush". They work OK, but floss gets into more places. The brushes may sometimes do a better job of removing material without needing to do so much "digging". This one (slightly overexposed) is a "G.U.M." brand.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
          As several have said, the OP really needs to see his dentist............the sooner the better, while he still has teeth.

2 cleanings a year for me. Switched to Oral B electric from Sonicare. Hygienist complemented me on lack of tartar since using Oral B. Just bought a WaterPik Flosser, use it morning and night.
          Like it much better than regular string type flossing.

Insurance covers cleanings. Just found out the dentist charges $75 to peak into your mouth after cleaning. My wife pays the bills so I never noticed the dentist's charge.
          What's this dentist thing I hear so much about?

My gums are in awesome health. Problem is they are receding and the roots are being exposed. Dentist says to use a soft bristle brush and then hands a friggin scrubbing brush that says "soft"

When I was younger, I liked the stiffer brushes. The dentists have told me to stop using them.

My brother got one of them waterjet things and loves it. I like unwaxed floss, which is nearly impossible to find as well. Times is a changing.

Comment

Those nimbus brushes look like a joke to me - they are all smoothed out at the ends like an expensive paint brush - you don't want a paint brush you want to remove hardened plaque and or keep it from getting a foothold,

I do not have my teeth cleaned at the dentist I do it at home when I brush, I do not get plaque build up - I used to when i used too soft of a brush, there are pro's and con's to every approach but my enamel is holding up just fine and if fact it looks like my teeth are going to make their expected duration and that's saying something because I had allot of damage up to the years of just 15 but since then started actually taking care of them and barely any change in all these years just one cap put on due to a filling starting to go and the tooth not having enough left to re-fill - going to need to do that to another in a year or two but everything else is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedave View Post
              What's this dentist thing I hear so much about?

My gums are in awesome health. Problem is they are receding and the roots are being exposed. Dentist says to use a soft bristle brush and then hands a friggin scrubbing brush that says "soft"

When I was younger, I liked the stiffer brushes. The dentists have told me to stop using them.

My brother got one of them waterjet things and loves it. I like unwaxed floss, which is nearly impossible to find as well. Times is a changing.
              Sorry, I was under the impression you were not seeing a dentist.

Unwaxed floss is on Amazon. Same as the old stuff we used to get at the drug store. There's a name change, it's now labeled Listerine gentle gum care. For some reason the drug stores don't seem to carry it any longer.

Comment

Working...
              X