1930 1940 large Rockford Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 1940 large Rockford Lathe

Hello- I'm new to the forum and also a novice at machine work. For years I've had an antique Rockford lathe sitting in my old shop. Never used it. I recently built a new shop and now have the lathe up and running. I just love the old machines and want to learn how to use them and teach my grand kids the same.

Long story short...I was trying to learn its functions and some how broke something in the carriage. I really need a manual and have had no luck finding one. Part of the problem is me. I don't have a clue as to what size the lathe is or the model. So I have no idea what to tell people I need.

Does anyone know where I can go for help?

Thank you,

1930u

Originally posted by 1930u View Post
    Does anyone know where I can go for help?
    A camera store, so you can take some pictures for us.

Comment

Guess theres a wise guy on every forum. I'm done.

Comment

Yeah, pictures should be helpful.

Many lathes work sin a similar way with similar controls. Check out http://lathes.co.uk/rockford to see if you can find your model there.

The sizes are general given as Diameter x length. The diameter is the largest disk that can be cut without hitting the ways or twice the distance from the center of the chuck to the ways. The length is (roughly) the distance between the tailstock when mounted as far right as possible and the spindle that the chuck screws onto. An example would be a 12x26. The size of the lathe will be longer that that since the 26 does not include the length of the headstock or tailstock.

Welcome and good luck

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
          I think new members cannot post pictures until they have made a few posts or get permission from George. Also it is difficult to use the forum software to upload and show images. Please refrain from such comments until the new member has been welcomed and becomes used to the sarcastic flavor of humor that seems common here.

1930u, welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around and enjoy the vast treasure trove of knowledge and experience represented here.
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

While we are waiting.... what was the last control that you played with on the carriage / apron ?

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

If you leave now you'll miss out on a lot of good help.

I assume you tried a basic search for "rockford lathes" in Google or your favorite search engine? Did it turn up http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockford/index.html ? Down at the bottom of the page are links to the Rockford lathes of the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Chances are good that yours shows up there somewhere. And that same source of all that is holy for machine tool information also has a page of downloadable literature. Maybe not a full manual for your lathe but there's likely something in there that'll come in handy at some point.

As for what might be broken or just not understood tell us what's happening and why you think it's broken. It may be normal and just needs a lever to be pushed the right way.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The Rockford lathes seem to have been actually quite nicely done, very usable, and apparently easy to fix, which bodes well for the OP's machine. Given the rust bucket restoration shown on the lathes.co site, which seems to have come out in good order (if perhaps not a tru re-ground restoration to manufacturer specs), fixing the OP's up for use may be relatively easy.

I'd not mind having one of the Rockfords.

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                I think new members cannot post pictures until they have made a few posts or get permission from George. Also it is difficult to use the forum software to upload and show images. .....
                But it is very very easy to use some OTHER hosting service, such as Imgur, to put pics in. And I don;t know if that is forbidden somehow for the same time.... it may be, to discourage bad links to malware, as well as ordinary advertising spammers.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Back in the dark ages when I was in school we had Rockford gear-head lathes. They were probably WW2 surplus from some local factory. They did a beautiful job but, parts were nonexistent. What usually was broken, were the gears in the threading quick change. They were straight tooth gears so they weren't hard to make new ones. I don't remember what the spindle speeds were but as i remember they weren't all that fast. You could really remove material in a hurry because of the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                    I LOL-ed at this.
                    Originally posted by 1930u View Post
                    Guess theres a wise guy on every forum. I'm done.
                    Sheesh, thin hide or what. FYI there are lots of Wise Guys on this forum, and they'd love to help, but you gotta help them to help you. Your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by mihit View Post
                      I LOL-ed at this.

Sheesh, thin hide or what. FYI there are lots of Wise Guys on this forum, and they'd love to help, but you gotta help them to help you. Your loss.
                      IF the reply had been a pleasant suggestion that afew photos would have helped others give help then perhaps we would have had a new enthuiastic member.
                      I am sickened by the level of some of the wiseass comments made by people who ought to know better.
                      Do some people feel that the anonymity of computer sites gives them the right to be unpleasant to people asking for help.?
                      David Powell

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                        IF the reply had been a pleasant suggestion that afew photos would have helped others give help then perhaps we would have had a new enthuiastic member.
                        I am sickened by the level of some of the wiseass comments made by people who ought to know better.
                        Do some people feel that the anonymity of computer sites gives them the right to be unpleasant to people asking for help.?
                        David Powell
                        Yup, 1930u last post was 11:55am 01/23/2019. He's gone. Hopefully found a site where there are other Rockford owners.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          Yup, 1930u last post was 11:55am 01/23/2019. He's gone. Hopefully found a site where there are other Rockford owners.
                          Or maybe adults

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell View Post
                            David Powell
                            The "polite canadian" stereotype alive and well!

I saw humor in it, it was hardly a roasting, or even uncalled for, I wouldn't have taken it to heart or even read it as "unpleasant" but to each their own. I s'pose we're raised a bit more, ah, uncouth down under

Comment

Originally posted by mihit View Post
                              The "polite canadian" stereotype alive and well!

I saw humor in it, it was hardly a roasting, or even uncalled for, I wouldn't have taken it to heart or even read it as "unpleasant" but to each their own. I s'pose we're raised a bit more, ah, uncouth down under
                              Not nearly as uncouth as some of your tourists from what we've been reading.
                              Get some of your big boys to do a Haka in front of 'em and scare 'em straight.
                              Len

Comment

Working...
                              X