3D printedParts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printedParts

I was looking for a thread dial for a sb lathe and these showed up, is this for real? Yea I’m a hillbilly

Originally posted by Hubbard View Post
    I was looking for a thread dial for a sb lathe and these showed up, is this for real? Yea I’m a hillbilly
    -If I recall correctly, the dials for a Southbend, like those on a Sheldon and a Logan, are all part of the "lash" of the cross-slide leadscrew. That is, the dial acts kind of like a washer, that the handle/knob/wheel tightens against to reduce the amount of slop.

I'm not sure I'd like a hunk of plastic there rather than aluminum or steel, especially if whoever printed it used a low infill (IE, it's not as solid as a single chunk of plastic) but that's just me. Generally speaking with positive-rake tooling, there's little thrust on the cross-slide screw anyway.

If it's a matter of getting the machine up and running (IE, you don't currently HAVE a dial) then by all means give it a try. But again, if it were me, I'd only use it 'til a metal one can be located or made.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
      -If I recall correctly, the dials for a Southbend, like those on a Sheldon and a Logan, are all part of the "lash" of the cross-slide leadscrew. That is, the dial acts kind of like a washer, that the handle/knob/wheel tightens against to reduce the amount of slop.

I'm not sure I'd like a hunk of plastic there rather than aluminum or steel, especially if whoever printed it used a low infill (IE, it's not as solid as a single chunk of plastic) but that's just me. Generally speaking with positive-rake tooling, there's little thrust on the cross-slide screw anyway.

If it's a matter of getting the machine up and running (IE, you don't currently HAVE a dial) then by all means give it a try. But again, if it were me, I'd only use it 'til a metal one can be located or made.

Doc.
      Maybe I described it wrong.
      I mean the dial that you use when threading. It’s hooked to the main leadscrew

Comment

Are you talking about this?

I designed and printed this for my South Bend 9" lathe about 2 months ago, it is made from PETG and it is very tough. I used 100% infill, primed it in auto paint and painted in in the same oil based paint I used on my lathe. The rest of the parts are all machined of mild steel, I simply duplicated the factory dial on my other lathe. Actually the printed part is cleaner looking than the original by a wide margin.
        Mcruff
        Last edited by Mcruff; 01-23-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I don't see any image, but if you mean the thread synchronizing dial, then a printed, plastic part should work just fine. There is little stress on it. In fact, even a plastic gear would be OK. It may even be better as it would produce less wear on the lead screw.

I would use a piece of drill rod or actual shaft stock for the shaft.

Originally posted by Hubbard View Post
          Paul Alciatore
          Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 01-23-2019, 11:33 PM.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I could use some new dials for my Grizzly, good idea!
            No pics are showing up for me?
            Fedora 29_64 running the latest chrome.
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Thanks guys, less stress is always good

Comment

Grizzly sells the parts to make one for their modern 10k. They offered it as a kit until last summer. All steel or cast iron. Noteleactly like the old originals, but close
                Works on the old 9ABC and 10k
                About $60 shipped for everything

Comment

Working...
                X