New Precision matthews pm 932m dro problems advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Precision matthews pm 932m dro problems advice please

Ok I recently got a pm house brand Dro for my mill. got it installed and have been learning how to use it .first odd thing I zeroed the Y the other day moved took a part out put another in that was gonna be the same went to zero and it was way off like an inch .i just figured I screwed up some how. now today I'm running a part had the Y locked with the spindle running I go to unlock the Y and the last number moves I'm not touching anything and it just keeps going like the tables moving went from -300 to 1500 when I grabbed the handle moved table and it stopped. I turned it off and checked everything nothing loose etc and it's fine the last number goes up and down and does it again. I have no idea what's going on or what to check any ideas? is there anything I can check? everything is tight cables are tight no obstructions no kinks no oil on anything etc anything else I should do before just calling PM thanks for any input so far it's only on the Y

Spindle turning or not?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Buy the biggest sledge hammer made. It will make tuning it much easier.

Comment

Swap the X&Y inputs to the display. See if the problems persists and if it does, does it follow the scale or the readout? This cuts your problem solving by half. If it persists with the leads changed then start looking for problems in the area that caused problems in both states.

lg
        no neat sig line
        near Salem OR

Comment

^---- THIS ----^

If it's following the scale, maybe yours is loose or broken. Not having the reader positioned correctly can cause this too. Did your instructions include a gap setting between the reader and scale? Did you remove the shipping spacer?

Comment

If the problem does follow the scale then in addition to CCWKen's advise look at the routing of the cables. If routed near a strong AC current source it may be picking up noise. If the cable is shielded make sure it is grounded at one end only. Can you provide a link to the manual for your DRO. If the manual is a general purpose one then provide your model number.

lg
            no neat sig line
            near Salem OR

Comment

At first it was hard to spot cause it would just randomly do it every now and then and it mostly happened when I wasn't watching the display. now it seems to do it more frequently sometimes it will just jump up or down 10 or 15 thousandths then it will just take off and run up to like 1.5 inches and stop. then sometimes you barly move the handle and it jumps like 30 thousandth .there is nothing next to it the cables have a metal jacket and are free to move the x has been fine. And it is grounded through the ground on the plug. I'm gonna switch them tonight and see if it follows. I can also try to ground it to my stand. here is a link to the dro on precision matthews site the manual is at the bottom thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by umahunter View Post
                At first it was hard to spot cause it would just randomly do it every now and then and it mostly happened when I wasn't watching the display. now it seems to do it more frequently sometimes it will just jump up or down 10 or 15 thousandths then it will just take off and run up to like 1.5 inches and stop. then sometimes you barly move the handle and it jumps like 30 thousandth .there is nothing next to it the cables have a metal jacket and are free to move the x has been fine. And it is grounded through the ground on the plug. I'm gonna switch them tonight and see if it follows. I can also try to ground it to my stand. here is a link to the dro on precision matthews site the manual is at the bottom thanks for the help guys
                On page 3 item 3 it talks about confirming the ground to the machine. So I suggest that you confirm all the grounds are as they should be.

lg
                no neat sig line
                near Salem OR

Comment

CWWKEN asked "Did you remove the shipping spacer"?

That was a mistake I made, and as a result I broke a glass scale. The symptom was that I would have erratic readings when I passed certain points. It was pretty predictable. A replacement scale fixed the problem.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

You might also check to see if the display is set to the same resolution as the scales.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ok 1 I almost wondered if this scale was used because it didn't have spacers like the other scale and was missing a cover screw 2 I switched the cables and it followed so it's that scale 3 I ran a ground wire grounded to the machine table no difference 4 as a last test I have a chair I sit in to watch tv that faces the mill so yesterday while just sitting watching tv not using the mill. I turned on the dro and set it to zero then just sat watching tv and doing other stuff never turned on or touched the mill only the Dro was on. that scale moved by a couple thousandth back and forth randomly throughout the day .not sure what else to do ??? Thanks for the help guys it's appreciated

Comment

Fortunately, PM has great customer service.

Call them with a report that the scale sporadically runs away. Mention the fact that the reader was missing the shipping spacer and cover screw and mention your suspicion that a customer returned scale was accidentally shipped by mistake. Ask for an RMA and they should arrange for a replacement.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X