[email protected] a lot:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [email protected] a lot:

Hi all, I used to post on a regular time slot, as well as I had visited Evan. Things went a little south as I was asked to go back to work. So what, you are maybe asking. Well I have been teaching shop for forty six years, full and now part time. Why, because our beginning teachers are getting about one half of new teachers in Alberta... maybe 44 versus 84. Until our Provincial and Federal governments step up to the plate and rescognise that WE, as voters have to have “hands on trained” Red Seal people in the school situations are we going to see a change. Please tell me I am wrong. Ps, Five of my shop students are in Alberta, each earning in excess of 150, and owning property on the island or in the mainland besides what they hav in Alberta. Wayne.

What is it like to be that heavily inebriated?

Comment

From what I've heard half the schools around here no longer have shop classes.... or shops.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It is only10.36 our time

Comment

a little confusing post, but if you are suggesting teachers be paid more, I agree.
          san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Our new teachers are being “headed hunted” before they grad. Although in 1969, so was I. So we are in a new cycle but the respective governments are being slow to catch on

Comment

Originally posted by wtrueman View Post
              Our new teachers are being “headed hunted” before they grad. Although in 1969, so was I. So we are in a new cycle but the respective governments are being slow to catch on
              What does the government currently do about menstrual cycles?

Comment

Originally posted by wtrueman View Post
                Hi all, I used to post on a regular time slot, as well as I had visited Evan. Things went a little south as I was asked to go back to work. So what, you are maybe asking. Well I have been teaching shop for forty six years, full and now part time. Why, because our beginning teachers are getting about one half of new teachers in Alberta... maybe 44 versus 84. Until our Provincial and Federal governments step up to the plate and rescognise that WE, as voters have to have “hands on trained” Red Seal people in the school situations are we going to see a change. Please tell me I am wrong. Ps, Five of my shop students are in Alberta, each earning in excess of 150, and owning property on the island or in the mainland besides what they hav in Alberta. Wayne.
                Have you been using that spiked Maple syrup on your pancakes again? I thought we talked about that!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                  From what I've heard half the schools around here no longer have shop classes.... or shops.
                  Maybe they're diverting those resources to English Composition.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                    Maybe they're diverting those resources to English Composition.
                    From what I have seen from posts on Facebook, if the are diverting resources to English Composition they have been wasting the money.

Comment

In our area, (all of California) the teachers are constantly claiming that they are underpaid. The class sizes are too big and the workload takes up all their free time. They are stuck with books and learning materials that are several years old!

There must be more to the story. My neighbor retired from a job as a high school teacher. He and his wife (a housewife for the last 35 years) are leaving for their 4th multiple week cruise in the last 12 months.

A friend retired from his career as a telephone engineer so that he could take a job as a part time professor in the University of California (UC) system. He made more money at the UC and had only a 3 day work week and those were partial days.

My son came home from school and asked me to vote a bond to provide for more money for his teachers. A few days later he was invited to spend a month at the lakeside summer home of his friend, who's parents were teachers. When he got back he was amazed that their summer home was bigger and nicer than our home. It appears that his friend's parents were paid better than we were.

Heres' the deal. Starting pay for teachers sucks, just as it does for most occupations. But it's relatively easy (in Calif) to get a raise by taking more classes, training or completing a degree. By the time they have been there 10 years they often make more money than the average for the families of their students. By the time they retire (given 30 years service) they get a pension that is about equal to the rate that they were paid the day they retire.

All of that and they manage it while working a 9 month work year with 2 or 3 major multi week vacations and half days on Fridays. Hourly wages typically start from $18.75 and go up to $42.85. Those "hourly" figures are based on the anual salary which is spread over a 52 week period despite the 39 weeks of actual work.

Again, all that is in California. Other areas may be different.
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
                        From what I have seen from posts on Facebook, if the are diverting resources to English Composition they have been wasting the money.
                        Amen to THAT! Not just FB or Reddit either. The group here on HSM is clearly somewhat older and still understands how to write within some reasonable structure. But I'm on a few other forums that span a much wider age audience. And some of the posts.... Hoooo boy......
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          Amen to THAT! Not just FB or Reddit either. The group here on HSM is clearly somewhat older and still understands how to write within some reasonable structure. But I'm on a few other forums that span a much wider age audience. And some of the posts.... Hoooo boy......
                          That self limiting behaviour is good news, makes it easier for the rest of us. My BIL is a teacher. He's intelligent, fun, athletic, all round great guy. However he's detached from economic reality. No fault of his own. Imo it is a product of the being at the public trough, never having to sweat making payroll or worrying about job security, whether the customers are happy, the company is making money, performance or offshore competition. Of course they think they don't make enough, why wouldn't the magic money wand give just give them more? Another vote for not really understanding the OP, but hey, welcome back
                          Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-25-2019, 04:40 PM.
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

At least we know what he was drinking last night...

Comment

Where in Alberta are you located Wayne,good to see you back.

Comment

Working...
                              X