Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Perfect handle" Phillips screwdriver?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Perfect handle" Phillips screwdriver?

    I have a bunch of the old forged-slab type of screwdrivers that I really like. I'd like to get Phillips ones but can't find any. Do they exist?

  • #2
    Those screwdrivers are great except on electrical work. I have never seen one in Phillips.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
      I have a bunch of the old forged-slab type of screwdrivers that I really like. I'd like to get Phillips ones but can't find any. Do they exist?
      I did a similar search a few years ago. Evidently they were never made. I had a small business idea to make a set of forging dies and re-forge the ends of some sawed-off regular ones, they are still being made in bulk.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

      Comment


      • #4
        OK, I give up. What's a forged-slab screwdriver? How about a picture.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

        And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          OK, I give up. What's a forged-slab screwdriver? How about a picture.
          Paul, try these pictures and listings on eBay. They are some of the strongest screwdrivers ever made. Originally they were issued to the US Army in WW2 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...river&_sacat=0
          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-27-2019, 05:26 AM. Reason: include the link
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks like a lathe project.
            Andy

            Comment


            • #7
              Sounds like something for someone here to start making in their shop and selling for a lot of money as "artisan hand crafted Phillips screwdrivers" or something. Business opportunity! I'll bet there is a market for a well done version. There is a market for everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                I had quite a collection of those years ago. Sold them on Ebay (to the artisinal planer crowd I bet). They didn't work near as well as quality modern counterparts. Never saw a Phillips.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Garrett Wade, brand new...https://www.garrettwade.com/extra-he...SABEgIK5fD_BwE

                  No Phillips though.
                  Len

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Get yourself a current brushless Lipo powered cordless drill/driver -- that's the perfect handle. Even if you need ultimate finesse for delicate hardware or to prevent stripping, they offer very easy torque control for that now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks. I have seen them, just didn't know what they were called. And I made the mistake of Googling "forged-slab screwdriver" instead of "perfect handle screwdriver".

                      I need to improve my Google-foo.



                      Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                      Paul, try these pictures and listings on eBay. They are some of the strongest screwdrivers ever made. Originally they were issued to the US Army in WW2 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...river&_sacat=0
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

                      And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                        Garrett Wade, brand new...https://www.garrettwade.com/extra-he...SABEgIK5fD_BwE

                        No Phillips though.
                        They had me interested right up until the word "imported".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                          Get yourself a current brushless Lipo powered cordless drill/driver -- that's the perfect handle. Even if you need ultimate finesse for delicate hardware or to prevent stripping, they offer very easy torque control for that now.
                          Came to say something similar! Get a mini driver too for the little work. If I have more than 3 screw to move I get a cordless, my wrists thank me.
                          Location: Jersey City NJ USA

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There is some photos on PM
                            https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...saving-270335/


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X