Work Holding in Vertical Bandsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Holding in Vertical Bandsaw

I set up a 5" Chuck for holding a variety of items for cutting or slitting on my Vertical Bandsaw.It works very good and keeps fingers away from the blade,it doesn't have to be round what ever the jaws will grip works.

Damn, that's *genius*!! Thanks, I gotta steal that idea... don't have a bandsaw at home yet, but someday I will...

Comment

Brilliant! But I'd like to see a sample setup. I'm confused by all the handles.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        Brilliant! But I'd like to see a sample setup. I'm confused by all the handles.
        It's simple! The two handles are to move it around. The wheel is a glorified chuck key. The round thing with the slits is a , er, um.... Round! Ok. Maybe we need that sample setup you mentioned.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I think I get it now. All those knobs and whirly gigs are embellishments.

Comment

Thanks guys it is so handy I use it lots.In first pic is a expanding plug that I slit on the bandsaw,it goes in the spindle bore on back of my Lathe to hold a depth tool for machining multiple peices.Before I slit the plug I tapped with 3/8" NC Tapered Tap and you simply tighten the set screws to expand the plug.

The second pic shows external jaws that needs clearance from the frame for jaw changes.
            Third pic is what I built for,shorting bolts but have found many other uses for it.
            Fourth pic is a work jaw I built for pushing material in to blade,also can be used with power feed.

I used a peice of 12" I beam to build Chuck Holder,I cut it the bandsaw then used boring head in Mill to get Chuck as low to the table as possible as is shown in 2nd pic.

Comment

I like that, both of them!

I have a fence and a rounded guide block on the fence so I can follow or lead the blade to cut in straight lines. Used by woodworkers when resawing.
              Last edited by lakeside53; 02-03-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Hi great idea much safer than some of the setups I have seen. Now where did I put that 12 inch joist

Comment

+1, OOH, me like!

Comment

+2.
                    Sweet.Very sweet.

Comment

Great idea. We have 5” chuck with terrible runout. Perfect use for it.

Comment

If all you've got is a vertical bandsaw that's a pretty neat idea but if you've got a horizontal it will cut most
                        of what you're talking about with a lot less hassle. I'm trying to remember if you had a horizontal saw when
                        I was there...
                        Keith

Comment

If you wanted it to be really sweet you could mount a four jaw chuck with independent jaws as well as a scroll. Then square or rectangular would be easy. I could see this being great for notching or coping joints in structural material.
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Very ingenious!

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                              If all you've got is a vertical bandsaw that's a pretty neat idea but if you've got a horizontal it will cut most
                              of what you're talking about with a lot less hassle. I'm trying to remember if you had a horizontal saw when
                              I was there...
                              Ya Keith I have a 3.5x5 and a 10x18 horizontal saws but they would painful to use for most of these jobs.Dealing with bolts and #4 machine screws or larger this thing is so user freindly,you can even kerf with it as well.
                              Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                              If you wanted it to be really sweet you could mount a four jaw chuck with independent jaws as well as a scroll. Then square or rectangular would be easy. I could see this being great for notching or coping joints in structural material.
                              I have had the same thought BF but a four jaw would have to rotate to adjust each jaw similar to my Horizontal set up on the Wadkin Drill Press as in pic.I have clamped sqaure,rectangle and eccentric in this thing,the oddball stuff side loads the jaws but doesn't matter.The thing with this its not spinning at 500 rpm like in a lathe,what ever the jaws will grab usually works.

Comment

Working...
                              X