OT: Crazy buildings in NYC......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Crazy buildings in NYC......

I do not think I would want to live in one of them, far shorter and wider buildings move in the wind. These things should bend like grass, mass damper or not. Living 1200 feet in the air? They can have it.

Kinda makes you realize how New Yorkers might think that pedestrian bridge in a thread here a while back was OK.

Warning, there are a couple views that may disturb some folks.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...rks-super-rich

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

You'd never catch me in one either. I remember years ago--probably in the 80s--there was an article in National
    Geographic about an ultra high-rise in Chicago. Seems to me it was over 100 stories but I can't remember what
    building it was. People living on the upper floors talked about how it swayed in the wind and it had a substantially
    larger footprint that what these buildings do. No thanks...
    Keith

Comment

One advantage to living very high above the street in New York City is that there is virtually no traffic noise. I used to work at the Empire State Building on the 83rd floor. Back in the 1960's the building had large windows that actually opened (no air conditioning). Sticking your head out the window there was virtually no traffic noise, but there was a good breeze and great views! The building did not sway in the wind. It was built very rigidly with steel frame construction. A B25 crashed into the building in 1945 and did not compromise the building's structural integrity.
      457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

I like my one story house.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I'm going back down to the basement- the main floor seems to be moving around-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Two words...PE Potential Energy.

Comment

I had a chance to visit the Sears Tower back in the 80s. My (at that time) wife won a sales contest at her business center. Went up in the Sears Tower, to a ball game and then dinner in Chicago. We lived east of Cleveland at that time (Mentor). In any case, I couldn't wait to get back down out of that tower. I could feel the thing moving the whole time we were in it. I don't know how people live and/or work in such an environment. I was puckered the whole time.

Comment

In my opinion people have lost touch with mechanical things and think and expect they can't or won't ever fail. Airplanes won't crash, the power won't go off, ships can't sink, and buildings won't fall. All of these can and will happen. And the more stressed the building frame the more likely it will happen sooner than later. Those buildings are a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

I like this one I was in it this year, great fun http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/en/index.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    I like my one story house.
                    Same here. And I paid under $10,000 per acre not square foot.

We used to live on the 25th floor (out of 30) of a condo building in downtown Toronto. That was high enough for this small town country boy. Never did get used to it. We then moved across the street to a smaller condo building but were on the ground floor. That was much better

I have a weird love/hate relationship with heights. I'm fine at heights that would kill me if I fell, but heights at which I'd only be seriously hurt freak me out. Doing the sky walk on the Cn tower wouldn't bother me one bit, but being on a 12/12 2 story roof would freak me right out. Jumping out of a plane didn't bother me one bit, until I got closer to the ground......

Comment

Here's one I would not want to be in, San Francisco's Millinnium Tower. Lot of People lost/losing a lot of money here. Ex football QB Joe Montana, for one.
                      But, not to worry, they can fix it back up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcf6tEmkNs

Comment

I wouldn't want to live in one, unless it was free to flex and bend as it pleases.

Comment

In the 1980s and 1990sI used to work on the 20th floor in a 20 story office building in Southfield Michigan. As viewed from above, it was a long rectangle with long sides and narrow ends. It had gold windows, and was named after a large insurance company....some members located in Michigan may know it.

On a few windy days per year it would sway. The office doors, being fairly heavy 9 footers, would sway an inch or two. The window blinds would swing and clink on the window frames. A few folks would retreat to the lunch room or restrooms. One of the building guys told us the top was capable of a six foot sway in heavy winds. Don't know if he really knew anything about that or not.

Windy days were interesting. Especially if we had visitors unaccustomed to this movement.

It was a nice office and appreciated, but I'm just as glad to be on the ground in my garage hobby shop and retired.

Oaks.

Comment

I have no desire to live in a large city. If I found myself in one, however, I'd try to live as far up in of one of those buildings as possible. I'd prefer to be above the noise and claustrophobia of the streets. As far as the swaying goes -- it would be like living in a big treehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                              I had a chance to visit the Sears Tower back in the .........
                              90s for me. Same experience. I'm not wild about heights and very much noticed that the building was swaying in the wind.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X