Smart phone apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart phone apps

I got my first smart phone a couple of weeks ago. What cool apps do I need?
    What is some of your favorite ones. Thanks

tapatalk, ebay, amazon.paypal,home depot.

Comment

Around Me.
      Probably the most useful (and non time-wasting) app I have.

Comment

8-ball pool by Miniclip

Comment

"CNC Machinists Calculator Pro". Nothing else really matters other than a good music player. I use "Rocket Player". Pity you can't permanently delete 90% of the crap (Facebook, U-tube, and all the Google stuff except Maps) that comes with the carrier image (no... I don't want to root my phone).
          Last edited by lakeside53; 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Calculator, camera and digital inclinometer/protractor

Comment

Buble level (exactly what it says)
              Strelock and Chairgun (ballistics calculators)
              Navfree (free offline gps maps)
              BGshell (terminal emulator program)
              Ghost Commander (file management, can also sometimes delete the facebook crap, even if your normal OS wont let you)
              Hammermill (wifi printing)
              And Pinball.

Comment

What do I do with a terminal emulator program when my iphone doesn't even have an RS232 port? If I'd been allowed on the design team I'd have put a nice 25way D-type on the top
                When I got it (company replacement for old Nokia that was calls only) a couple of months ago I singed up to the cloud storage thingy then found the company has that blocked so every photo has to be emailed to get it off the phone. Apps and stuff get limited too but I'm allowed to watch video - of the boss rabbiting on about quarterly targets

Comment

You got a smart phone, but what apps you use depend on the OS (MSmobile, Apple or Android).

Some of the most useful Android apps are usually pre-installed. Google Maps gives you navigation, traffic flow and local businesses. Weather Central gives you forecasts, etc. There are lots of apps included, but they depend on which carrier your phone is made for.
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

You don't really NEED any apps. But, you might find some apps useful. What do you want to do with your phone? Mostly, I talk and text on mine.
                    I have a barcode scanner and StubHub installed. Oh, an anti-virus program may be advised.
                    My first smartphone and the least expensive! Xfinity Mobile phone, $0 talk, $0 text, 100meg free data. So, for me a free phone to use after I pay off the phone @$7.50/mo for 24 months. My old, dumb phone was $25/mo, so I'm happy.
                    Mike

Comment

Not strictly apps, but the cheap borescopes that you can get now (under $25) that plug into an android phone are great when the need arises. Same for the small USB microscopes and vehicle OBD readers if you like to work on your cars. They don't cost much and are very handy problem solvers from time to time.

I use an Iphone for most actual phone stuff but have an orphaned Android phone (not activated on cell but works fine on wifi) just for doing shop stuff.

Comment

You left out Windows based smart phones. Or should I say dumb phones with screens? It seems that whenever I want an app for my Windows based phone, it is not available. Seems like Microsoft would be concerned by that, but they are not.

Before I get another phone I want to know which one has the most apps for people like us. I don't care about ordering pizza. I want the best one for shop and engineering work.

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                        You got a smart phone, but what apps you use depend on the OS (MSmobile, Apple or Android).

Some of the most useful Android apps are usually pre-installed. Google Maps gives you navigation, traffic flow and local businesses. Weather Central gives you forecasts, etc. There are lots of apps included, but they depend on which carrier your phone is made for.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                          I got my first smart phone a couple of weeks ago.

You poor sap.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Before I get another phone I want to know which one has the most apps for people like us. I don't care about ordering pizza. I want the best one for shop and engineering work.
                            Most of "our" type of apps apps are available for both of the other two choices... I-Phone and Android, and with Android 8.x there isn't much difference between the two choices now.

Comment

Most smart phones have Bluetooth, which can be used with a terminal program. RS-232 with wires is like using a telegraph to send email

Here is a cool tool (for Android only):
                              https://walabot.com/diy?keyword=see%...YaAqlmEALw_wcB

I like my cheap (<$100) Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I sometimes spend (waste) hours on it playing billiards (pool), Solitaire, and Free Cell. I dislike Apple products. My cell phone is $50 LG306G with 3629 minutes left (TracFone). About $99/year for air time. I'm good until 6/13/09. I use it almost only for phone calls and text, and once in a while for pictures, although I usually use and prefer my Nikon Coolpix L22.
                              Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-10-2019, 11:34 PM.
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X