What's Your Advice on Multitools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Advice on Multitools?

Gerber, SOG, Leatherman, Chinese Cheapo, Sheffield, Winchester, Micarta and a host of other brands I never heard of.

Looking for needle nose pliers, good scissors, and very good steel on the main knife blade. Budget is $60. Had a Chinese Cheapo in my car, but some punk stole it.

I have had a few different ones but the only one I have kept using is a Leatherman. It was my first and I still have it.
    The others were so 'memorable" that I don't even remember their names.
    I've had my Leatherman for over 30 years. Every now and then it will come up missing and I'll get something to replace it, but then, Bingo, it turns back up.
    I do have a mini one that the bank gave out but the last I saw it my wife had commandeered it. There is no mfg. name on it though.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Leatherman is good.

I think you need a decent Swiss army knife to go with it. Fairly often there are screws that need one part held and the other turned, so one single tool is not sufficient.

And I have another no-name device that has wrenches on it, which is good.

None of them are really good, unless they are all you have. In the vehicle, a toolbox is the best thing to have. Basic sockets, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, pliers, etc. With some pieces of hose, and a golf tee or two for plugging what you cannot fix.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Leatherman WAVE. What sets it apart from other models is the insert bit holder. Buy the set of double ended bits that fits in the same belt holster and now you have allens, robertsons, 4 size phillips and flats, and torx. That's all on top of a pretty good scissors, 2 blades, a damn useful saw, and a course/diamond grit file. My only criticism of it is I wish it had the replaceable carbide wire cutting jaws like some of the Leathermen.

Comment

I've never liked any multi tools. But I knew a fellow (passed away some years back) that always carried a mid size Leatherman which I personally saw being used for unspeakable things and it always held up. He used SOME care in that he didn't try to pry a car up with the side of the knife blade. But the screwdriver bits and pliers were used without force limits and held up well.

I'd say Gerber, Leatherman or SOG would be the way to go. Gerber and SOG make their own knives which have great reps so they aren't going to make junk. And Leatherman was the first and from my observations at least the older stuff was great.

Winchester does not make anything of their own any longer and is more than likely cheap stuff. Never heard of Sheffield, other than the town and as an origin mark for fine steel products from Britain. So likely that's cheap stuff that stole the name. But keep doing the research on where the stuff comes from and who actually makes the product.... which obviously this thread is part of.

Having blasted Winchester I have to admit that I recently bought a Winchester brand 1873 rifle reproduction made by Miroku for Winchester. It's absolutely wonderfully made and silky smooth to operate. If by some chance Winchester is getting their multi tools made by Miroku as well then I'd buy one without any concerns at all.... If I were a multi tool toting sort of fella.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Leatherman Juice S2 for me 6 years running. Use it all the time, not to heavy, and has most things I need.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              Leatherman is good.

I think you need a decent Swiss army knife to go with it. Fairly often there are screws that need one part held and the other turned, so one single tool is not sufficient.

And I have another no-name device that has wrenches on it, which is good.

None of them are really good, unless they are all you have. In the vehicle, a toolbox is the best thing to have. Basic sockets, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, pliers, etc. With some pieces of hose, and a golf tee or two for plugging what you cannot fix.
              And let's not forget good quality duct tape. (grin) With enough, you can fix a flat tire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkvkFmsgypI

I have a tool kit in my spare tire compartment. It's just convenient to have a multiscrewdriver and a pair of needlenose, or knife, or whatever in the glove box, for those annoying little things.

OK. Leatherman, SOG, or Gerber. Last good one owned was Gerber, but I wasn't impressed by the knife blade. Two strokes on pine, and you had to resharpen. The scissors were excellent. The file was a joke. Way too rough.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                I knew a fellow (passed away some years back) that always carried a mid size Leatherman which I personally saw being used for unspeakable things and it always held up. He used SOME care in that he didn't try to pry a car up with the side of the knife blade.
                I used mine to pry out a window screen and snapped the tip. I contacted them about buying a new blade for it, and they said "just send it in". Got back a brand new tool. A few years later that tool developed a problem with a blade lock, new tool again! I think I got it originally in 2003. They have some warranty.

Comment

Sounds like Leupold's warranty. "Just send it in." If it's genuine Leupold, not a Chinese imitation, they'll fix it, no questions asked.

Leatherman is starting to sound good.

Comment

With a full beard (42+ years) and always something to fix, I’ve always had some sort of multi tool with scissors and screwdrivers with me.

After carrying a Victornox Super Tinker for 25+ years, I tried a Leatherman Juice S2 about 6 years ago. Haven’t picked up the ST since.

Comment

Leatherman. I'm on my second Leatherman, this time it's a "Rebar". I broke the knife off of it (using it to pry a layer of dense EPP foam that was glued to a packing crate - clearly user error) and they told me to send it in. For like $2 in shipping, I got the knife replaced AND they sharpened the other cutting tools on it. Can't beat that.

I've also abused it in other ways, including using it as a hitch pin, hammer, all sorts of things. Still working great! Nothing really wrong with the first one, either. It was just getting old and the wire cutter was dull. I used it a lot putting up wire fence back in the day. Thus, I bought a Rebar with the replaceable cutter. The Rebar is now about 9 years old.

Comment

Wasn't familiar with the Rebar, so I checked out the Leatherman site. It doesn't have the insert bit holder. Pass. The good new is the current Wave's have replaceable cutter jaws!

$20 bit set, think about the joy of having this with you at all times:
                        Square Drive #1 & #2
                        Torx #6 & #8
                        Torx #10 & #15
                        Torx #20 & #25
                        Torx #27 & #30
                        Eyeglass Screwdriver
                        Pozi #2 & #1
                        Hex 1.5mm & 2mm
                        Hex 2.5mm & 3mm
                        Hex 4mm & 5mm
                        Hex 6mm & 1/4"
                        Hex 7/32" & 3/16"
                        Hex 5/32 & 9/64"
                        Hex 1/8" & 7/64"
                        Hex 3/32" & 5/64"
                        Hex 1/16" & .050"
                        Phillips #1 & #2
                        Phillips #0 & #3
                        Screwdriver 3/32" & 1/8"
                        Screwdriver 5/32" & 3/16"
                        Screwdriver 7/32" & 1/4"

Comment

Confucious say: "You get what you pay for"

60 sounds remarkably cheap, but everythng is expensive here.

Leatherman is the only option, as far as I'm concerned.
                          Pretty sure they carry a 25year warranty. Find the chinese factory that'll match that.

Victorinox (of swiss army knife fame) Also make a decent product, but I don't like the format.

Comment

I have a $1.00 knife I got at Harbor Freight that I really like, because it's small enough to fit in my pocket without discomfort, and everything works well. But I don't think they have that model anymore:

I also got this "Fixr" from Banggood, which is also handy to add to a keychain, but really isn't very good:

The file is actually pretty good. Looks like it could be diamond grit, but probably not on a $3 tool:

Another Banggood cheapie that looks a lot better than it actually is, but, again, it is small enough to fit in my pocket, and at least the pliers work well. The bottle opener just barely works, and the can opener blade can't reach the rim of a can, but not bad for $3 or so:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                              I

I'd say Gerber, Leatherman or SOG would be the way to go. Gerber and SOG make their own knives which have great reps so they aren't going to make junk. And Leatherman was the first and from my observations at least the older stuff was great. fella.
                              Gerber now made in china. They didn't get any cheaper for it., so I stopped buying them after some **** stole my last-of-the-US-made pocket-folder.

Comment

Working...
                              X