What is it (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it (again)

I figured it was some sort of masterlink or pin wrench but I can’t find anything like it (not the blade lol, included for size reference)
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

I think it's a milling machine table that looks a lot smoother than mine. Sitting on it is a razor blade and a tool that I don't recognize.

And on a somewhat more serious note...It looks to me like the pin attached to the handle is somewhat eccentric, so that when you turn the handle the two pins either get closer together or further apart. So the tool is meant to pull or spread something.

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
      And on a somewhat more serious note...It looks to me like the pin attached to the handle is somewhat eccentric, so that when you turn the handle the two pins either get closer together or further apart. So the tool is meant to pull or spread something.
      I specifically looked for that and do not see it - maybe he can verify although I think he would have mentioned it...

it makes complete sense that's why i looked for it - without that theory it's hard to see why the long handle would even be needed...

Comment

Looks like it would be useful to draw a chain together so you can insert the masterlink. Presuming the part with the l wrench is an eccentric. If thats not what it is I have NO idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
          Looks like it would be useful to draw a chain together so you can insert the masterlink. Presuming the part with the l wrench is an eccentric. If thats not what it is I have NO idea.
          Thats what I thought when I saw it. But then I started thinking I have seen many of fasteners over the years with two holes in them to drive them. Could be used for twisting wire/ties/rubber/leather to tighten up something as well.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
            Thats what I thought when I saw it. But then I started thinking I have seen many of fasteners over the years with two holes in them to drive them. Could be used for twisting wire/ties/rubber/leather to tighten up something as well.
            That was my first thought too. But it's a VERY odd design for such a tool.

Click on the pic and go to the image page then expand it (the cursor is a "+" sign indicating it can expand) The pin with the handle coming out of it is pretty clearly a separate part and I can see two circlips and a short bit of a polished surface between the one circlip and the body. And the body has a step to accommodate the second circlip at the base of the smaller pin. Plus the picture sure does make it look like the the axis of the "L" and the small pin is not on center with each other. So I'm thinking it's a drawing in tool for drive chain as well. But it also seems unusual that it's such a short distance. There's what?... maybe .05" or so of travel in the eccentric by the looks of it? Seems to me that you'd want a lot more than that to tension the chain and slip the master in from the other side.

Comment

Not convinced it is off center..... check width/diameter of the long part. Assuming it is same all along, it looks pretty much on-center taking into account the part of width/diameter that does not show up due to the shadow.

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
              I think it's a milling machine table that looks a lot smoother than mine. ....
              Looks more like a welding table to me.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 02-14-2019, 12:41 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Looks more like a welding table to me.
                Or a well-dinged table...
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Looks like parting insert removal key

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                    I need to make one of those. Does the same tool put 'em in also?

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                      That's what it is, I have one just like it for an Iscar Duo-Grip parting tool.
                      And yes the same tool is used to install and remove the insert.

Last edited by Willy; 02-14-2019, 01:39 AM. Reason: Add Photo
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Forgot to add.
                        From the perspective of the photo I included you can see that the small pin attached to the handle is offset. It is this small eccentric that give one the leverage and travel needed to spread the jaws of the parting tool in order to extract or insert the parting insert.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

That last bit is very revealing.... I doid not know how the silly things worked... now I do. Thank you.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                            Forgot to add.
                            From the perspective of the photo I included you can see that the small pin attached to the handle is offset. It is this small eccentric that give one the leverage and travel needed to spread the jaws of the parting tool in order to extract or insert the parting insert.
                            Ah, that explains why it designed the way it is. I though that its just a funny pin spanner. (never seen that model "live", only in catalogs)

Comment

That makes WAY more sense now than a chain tool for master links. The travel is way too short to be of much use for pulling up to install master links. But the force it could generate for spreading parting tool blades would be magnificent.

All if which goes to point out that I've got very little around here for carbide tooling....

Comment

Working...
                              X