Old machine shop paint schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old machine shop paint schemes

My son was asking the other night if I knew why old machine shops frequently had a paint scheme with one color on the walls up to about five feet (often the same color as the floor) and another color above that. No, I don't, but I offered to ask around. Anyone happen to know?

Darker color below doesnt show the dirt, lighter above to reflect light around for visibility. Just a guess. Is this what you mean?

Comment

I've seen that before too, but mostly in race car shops. Two tone walls with a stripe dividing the colors. Most machine shops don't really care what the walls look like, at least around here. Most are in old factories.

JL..............

Comment

I am more of a woodworker than a machinist - but I use a similar paint scheme in my Shop.

I use it as an "action indicator".

When the crap gets piled up to or above the line, it is time to clean the Shop.

NOTE: The five foot line is not relevant to any plywood stacked against the wall.

Comment

Stroker nailed it
          Light on top for light reflection and dark paint lower so marks from tables, cabinets and leaning stuff against the wall or splashed oil were not
          generally visible.

I once worked in a die shop that had white walls and white machines ( lathes and mills )
          The shop was like a operating room with no clutter . If it did not fit in a tool chest or designated cabinet , it was not there.
          The only permitted things under the benches were shoes and lunch boxes.
          Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Yes. Dark on bottom, and lighter on top, and usually green in tint. I'm told there's something psychological about the color green helping to keep you relaxed when inside all day.

Comment

My shop is two tone with a stripe. I liked the look and the gray reduces glare.
              san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Cool bike looks like some thought went into it.
                What is the tank from ?

Comment

Very nice Sporty.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    Cool bike looks like some thought went into it.
                    What is the tank from ?
                    mid 90's yamaha seca
                    san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                      Very nice Sporty.
                      one of a kind sporty
                      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Working...
                      X