Is This Angle Special Made ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Angle Special Made ??

Just wondering if the rounded angle used for this stand was special made, made in house by the company or made by some mill.
    I can't find any one that makes anything like it.

JL..............

Looks like a Diacro stand.. lord knows they would have the tools to make their own.

Comment

Hi,

I've seen similar rounded angles like that on other factory items, so someone has to be making the stuff. But I suspect you would need to make a few phone calls to find it. It won't be available at your local mom and pop steel store.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I designed a canopy for a small number of portable engine powered machines using angles similar to those, but longer, larger and with larger radius many years ago.

The shop foreman cobbled up a set of dies for the mechanical press brake. Heavy wall pipe for the upper, and, if I remember correctly, two spaced apart rectangular bars for the lower.

Comment

There is a line of aluminum "stuff" like that, it's narrower and has been around since the 1950 or before. I think it's still around but havent seen it for years.
          Check if you wish; Widney Dorlec . Is the way it is pronounced but not sure of the spelling. It's been more than a few years since I used it. :-)
          ...lew...
          Just checked the name is now : Looks like there may have been some "improvements" in the line and modifications of the system.
          Davalow Dorlec Systems Limited

Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 02-18-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

It looks like it's made from flat strip off a roll either by running it through length ways through rollers and cut to length as needed or as cameron said, short pieces of flat stock in a press. I suspect it's cheaper than buying regular square corner angles or it could just be the end user speced large radii on the corners.
            Last edited by Arcane; 02-18-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
              Looks like a Diacro stand.. lord knows they would have the tools to make their own.
              Yeah, DiAcro for sure.

They probably just roll the form into steel strip from a coil, then cut to length. That stand looks to be for a #3 bender.

Comment

Up my way some of the angle stock at Home Despot is pretty obviously formed from flat stock in dies and has a smaller but unmistakable radius of a similar style. So I'm voting for the maker "rolling their own" from flat strip stock or sheared pieces run through a bender to form the corner channels. It does make more sense for a place that wants to minimize their variety of stock on hand and hold that stock to just different gauges of sheet metal.

I'll bet that a pretty standard sort of machine in that sort of manufacturing is a roller that does long stock and cuts it off. Consider the usual shelving/bench type material such as Dexion with all the holes and slots. That sure as blazes doesn't start from an L shape. And not likely that the lengths are cut then bent. Far more likely, obvious really, that strip stock would be run through a rolling punch to do the holes and then through a set of rollers that bends it into the 90. And finally a machine that shears the angle stock to length.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I have a fairly large Chicago leaf brake, that if set open will bend a similar radius as that. Have a good day. John

Comment

There should be witness marks revealing order of operations. Rolled from strip and parted off will result in different edge conditions compared to sheared from sheet and then bent. Or these days likely lasered then bent.

Comment

Yes that's a diacro bender stand. I always pictured them being made in a press, out of flat bar.

Comment

! don't know about large scale production, but "short lengths" in a press don't need to be all that short. The press brake I mentioned could easily, I think, have done 16' lengths of the angles JoeLee showed, using air bending dies.

Comment

depended on how used it does have it's strength advantages over standard issue angle iron...

Comment

that's an usually large radius, but we'll regularly bend our own angles for certain fab jobs so imo its not usually find non standard bent up angles. Coils are cheaper than structural.
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Before I retired we used to make angle similar to that up to 1/2" thick A514 (T-1) X up to 96 lg. with a 2" IDR on our press brake for some of our proprietary products.

Comment

Working...
                              X