AMC Marlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC Marlin

I found this Marlin sitting deflated at an automotive restorer's lot in Tempe. I took my Minox 35 GT from my shirt pocket and took this shot. I think it is a 1966 AMC version.

It has smooth lines. Did it have a good engine too?

Here is a blow-up from the Pan F negative.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Wow - never even heard of one - that is one unique old bird, im sure the drivetrain was just old junk but who cares if your a collector...

it looks like a baboon trying to fart...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 02-22-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

You can bet the farm it a huge inefficient V8 delivering mediocre performance.

Comment

One of the AMC V8's was a performer. I think it was a 360. The Gremlin with the right V8 was a little hot-rod.

Comment

The Gremlin with the wrong V-8 was nothing but wheel spin... that's what happens when you chop the back of a rear wheel drive car off just past the axle lol

Comment

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I found/find all of AMCs offerings to be ugly.

My Gremlin story: A buddy and I were bombing down a two-track in his mother's Gremlin when we heard a big clunk and the engine quit shortly after. A few hundred feet back on the trail lay the gas tank. The car was probably less than four or five years old at that point but things rusted quick in those days and those Gremlin's were pure junk.
            George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
              it looks like a baboon trying to fart...
              Well, you may like it but I think it's rather ugly.

Comment

Crazy, I never much liked cars of that era anyways save for some vette's or the GT-40 or AC cobra

but AMC took it all a step further into the gutter, remember the Pacer? or "upside down fishbowl on wheels" as we used to call it... great visibility - you could see all the places you would rather be besides inside the car itself...

Comment

AMC was a strange company. They made some great looking cars and a whole lot of ugly ones.
                  If I remember right, they also had a few nascar wins.

Comment

When I ran my engine rebuild shop way back we got a high perf engine from an AMC a 340 or 360. Don’t remember exactly what it was or what it came out of right now. But it was impressive internally as I recall with forged crank, push rod guide plates, etc. Performed very strongly too and was a match for most comparable engines of the day. Can’t say much about the rest of the AMC line as we didn’t get many others in for rebuild or repair. Not the most popular vehicle at the time I guess.

Comment

Wife 1.0 had a Rebel SST convertible which was a sharp looker with decent performance with a 343.
                      When we were dating her parents had some kind of AMC in which the front seats folded ALL the way back.
                      Make of that what you will.
                      Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                        Wife 1.0 had a Rebel SST convertible which was a sharp looker with decent performance with a 343.
                        When we were dating her parents had some kind of AMC in which the front seats folded ALL the way back.
                        Make of that what you will.
                        No rust?

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the photo. I am running a 360 bored .040 over and fuel injected in my CJ jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                            No rust?
                            No, it was only 2 years old at the time.
                            Len

Comment

Don't diss my Gremlin X..

Comment

Working...
                              X