Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSM machines outside the Rust Belt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HSM machines outside the Rust Belt

    I'm on coastal Georgia, and my search for a HSM mill took me from Craigslist & Ebay & beyond, there isn't many machines outside the rust belt.
    Out of boredom the other day, I clicked around my old favorite internet searches, look what I found:

    1. is this a Taiwan clone of a Rusnok?
    https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...817298483.html

    2. a vert boring machine outside of Tampa
    https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...798843874.html

    3. a Grizzly combo machine
    https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...809062987.html

    4. Taiwan 8x30 mill. If this is made by the Select name, it has scraped ways. If it is a Enco then I dont know. I have the 6x26 Select and it is fine machine.
    https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...812354892.html

  • #2
    I live in the machine desert South of San Antonio. Any machines that do show up around here are usually grabbed-up and shipped to Mexico. Prices typically run 2X higher than anywhere else for that reason. Many machines don't even make it to auctions. As soon as word gets out some shop is closing, buyers line up at the door with cash in hand. Or private sales occur.

    I got my BP from a closing gun shop about 80 miles North of here. The picture below is one from the original auction listing. Although it looks worse than it really was, this is what you get around here for about $2.2k plus tax and auction premium. The included vise was junk but the mill had a brand new Baldor 1.5hp 3ph motor. The worst part was cleaning all the grease the previous owner had pumped into the ways.

    It does look much better now.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ringo, something wrong with going to an auction? Start at MachineTools dot com and check out the auctions.

      Comment


      • #4
        those machine auctions are not even close to me, plus shipping freight, sight unseen, are all 3phase power. I needed a small single phase machine, close enough to get it in my own truck

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ringo View Post
          I'm on coastal Georgia, and my search for a HSM mill took me from Craigslist & Ebay & beyond, there isn't many machines outside the rust belt.
          Out of boredom the other day, I clicked around my old favorite internet searches, look what I found:

          1. is this a Taiwan clone of a Rusnok?
          https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...817298483.html

          2. a vert boring machine outside of Tampa
          https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...798843874.html

          3. a Grizzly combo machine
          https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...809062987.html

          4. Taiwan 8x30 mill. If this is made by the Select name, it has scraped ways. If it is a Enco then I dont know. I have the 6x26 Select and it is fine machine.
          https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...812354892.html
          I'm only 12 miles from the georgia border and routinely see lots of machines at good prices. I realize your at the costal area which apparently changes things for supply / demand.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ringo View Post
            those machine auctions are not even close to me, plus shipping freight, sight unseen, are all 3phase power. I needed a small single phase machine, close enough to get it in my own truck
            That is just one source for finding auctions. Like Craigslist, just keep looking. Limiting yourself to single phase for lack of a phase converter or VFD, eliminates a lot of good machinery.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd go with the 8x30, it's a capable machine for its size. I have the smaller version and I'm very happy with it. Several others on here (Dan?) have the 8x30 version and they seem very happy with theirs too. It's no BP, but within it's size envelope it does very well. Easy to tuck into the corner of a garage too. I picked mine up in Austin with an HF bandsaw and a Delta drill press and towed them all back to San Antonio with a Subaru Outback on a drop deck trailer. Slowly

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't limit yourself to single phase machines. There are lots of VFD's out there cheap to convert single to three phase. My 600V 3phase Bridgeport has a step up transformer from 240 to 600V and an old Allen Bradley VFD to convert to 3 phase. Only cost me $200 to implement.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why not get in touch with Keith Rucker?
                  He's always coming up with machines.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/ksruckerowwm/videos
                  Len

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Leadfootin View Post
                    Don't limit yourself to single phase machines. There are lots of VFD's out there cheap to convert single to three phase. My 600V 3phase Bridgeport has a step up transformer from 240 to 600V and an old Allen Bradley VFD to convert to 3 phase. Only cost me $200 to implement.
                    All of my larger industrial sized machines were all 3ph and I had a lot of 1ph motors sitting around from a dismantled seed plant.My lathe was downsized from 10hp to 5hp and mill from 7.5hp to 5hp all have worked flawless.I have not noticed any poor finishes using 1 ph power that everyone talks about,I just happy to have Larger Machines to handle bigger jobs around the farm that I could not deal with from the smaller machines I used before.
                    I would have used VFDs or Rotary 3 ph but made it work with what I had on hand.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is there a machine that is easier to convert to single phase motor , than a Bridgeport ?
                      It looks pretty easy..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                        All of my larger industrial sized machines were all 3ph and I had a lot of 1ph motors sitting around from a dismantled seed plant.My lathe was downsized from 10hp to 5hp and mill from 7.5hp to 5hp all have worked flawless.I have not noticed any poor finishes using 1 ph power that everyone talks about,I just happy to have Larger Machines to handle bigger jobs around the farm that I could not deal with from the smaller machines I used before.
                        I would have used VFDs or Rotary 3 ph but made it work with what I had on hand.
                        The single phase issue is with the tiny Atlas, SB , etc. Marginal hobby machines that are just not as rigid as the bigger ones you have. The inherent vibration of the motor tends to work with the thin and bouncy lathe beds to chatter.
                        1601

                        Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                          I'm on coastal Georgia, and my search for a HSM mill took me from Craigslist & Ebay & beyond, there isn't many machines outside the rust belt.
                          Out of boredom the other day, I clicked around my old favorite internet searches, look what I found:

                          1. is this a Taiwan clone of a Rusnok?
                          https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col...817298483.html

                          2. a vert boring machine outside of Tampa
                          https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...798843874.html

                          3. a Grizzly combo machine
                          https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...809062987.html

                          4. Taiwan 8x30 mill. If this is made by the Select name, it has scraped ways. If it is a Enco then I dont know. I have the 6x26 Select and it is fine machine.
                          https://sarasota.craigslist.org/tls/...812354892.html
                          The first one would be OK for lighter work. But all those smaller size round sections could lead to issues with flex and chatter. Plus it's a round column to move the head vertically so the only Z axis travel you can trust is the quill. So all the typical limitations of a round column mill/drill.

                          The vertical borer is intended as an accurate drill press. So while light duty milling might be possible I suspect it'll have a lot of limitations. I'd give it a pass unless you're interested in restoring an old tool.

                          For the combo machine? Don't.... just don't.... you'll hate it in so many ways. They are only passingly good for someone with severe space limitations and even then only for working on smaller stuff than what you think you could manage for the size of machine. Even as a lathe I've only ever seen one of the larger versions which had controls and graduated dials that made it a decent machine... And this isn't one of those. As a milling machine they totally suck in almost every way imaginable for anything but the smallest of jobs on the smallest of parts.

                          So that means that the only decent find from that list is the 8x30 mill And that looks like a nice condition machine for a good price. A small thing but the ways aren't so much scraped as they are frosted to aid with holding oil. But that just shows that it was well cared for or not used all that much for the frosting to be so visible and "streak" free.

                          It would be worth adding "machine shop auctions georgia" to your list of searches. Not on CL but just a general Google or Bing and check it every day or so. Odds are good that over a month or two you'll find at least one that is within driving distance. Some areas will have more but within a half day's drive you're bound to find SOMETHING of that sort. But don't stop searching CL either.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            Is there a machine that is easier to convert to single phase motor , than a Bridgeport ?
                            It looks pretty easy..
                            754 the Varnamo 1 ph conversion was a fun project that I incorperated a Hyd disc brake.As pics show I matched the Flange of the 7.5 hp 3 ph motor by machining a 1" thick plate and used the original internal flex coupling.Then just belt driven from the 5 hp 1ph motor,works great!
                            Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            The single phase issue is with the tiny Atlas, SB , etc. Marginal hobby machines that are just not as rigid as the bigger ones you have. The inherent vibration of the motor tends to work with the thin and bouncy lathe beds to chatter.

                            That's what I thought Tiers this machine is pretty sturdy and performs great!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                              That's what I thought Tiers this machine is pretty sturdy and performs great!
                              Mass fixes everything. We have the best infallible authority for that.......
                              1601

                              Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X