Reversing an EMCO FB2 Mill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing an EMCO FB2 Mill.

I run an Emco FB2 mill, primarily for drilling and tapping.
    It would make life a little easier if I could add a reversing switch so that I could tap holes and then withdraw the tap under power.
    The machine is wired for 120v single phase, have any of you a wiring diagram to do this?
    Regards David Powell.

There are electrical drawings in this link, if it helps.

https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/i...FB_2Spares.pdf
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

generally with single phase motors you use a drum switch to reverse t5 and t8 or if color coded red and black to change direction

Comment

You likely won't be able to do the reversing while the shaft is turning. I had a reversing switch on my 120V lathe and the motor had to be switched off, come to a stop, flip the reverse switch, and then apply power again. I've had two single phase FB2 mills and haven't had either set up to reverse so I'm not going to be much help. I'm not sure that all single phase motors can be reversed but I think that should be a cap start motor and thus doable.

https://woodgears.ca/motors/reversing.html

Comment

I just want to back taps out.

Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
          You likely won't be able to do the reversing while the shaft is turning. I had a reversing switch on my 120V lathe and the motor had to be switched off, come to a stop, flip the reverse switch, and then apply power again. I've had two single phase FB2 mills and haven't had either set up to reverse so I'm not going to be much help. I'm not sure that all single phase motors can be reversed but I think that should be a cap start motor and thus doable.

https://woodgears.ca/motors/reversing.html
          I am not in a hurry any more, but it is a bit aggravating to power tap then have to release the tap from the chuck, lift the quill, put a wrench on the tap and back it out, especially given the very limited quill travel.
          I will not be power tapping with anything bigger than 10/32 given the strength of the little gears in the gearbox.
          Thanks to all who have so helpfully replied, David Powell

Comment

The Emco FB 2 mills have three phase motors, get a small VFD and then you can reverse to your hearts content.
            On my Bridgeport style mill I have a plug for a foot switch that I use for reversing when I do a lot of tapping.
            I set the motor stop to under 0.5 second, works like a charm.

Werner

Comment

Originally posted by wern View Post
              The Emco FB 2 mills have three phase motors, get a small VFD and then you can reverse to your hearts content.
              On my Bridgeport style mill I have a plug for a foot switch that I use for reversing when I do a lot of tapping.
              I set the motor stop to under 0.5 second, works like a charm.

Werner
              You don't need a VFD to reverse a three phase motor. A drum switch or a couple of three pole magnetic contactors will do it a lot cheaper and with perfect long term reliability. A VFD will reverse the motor and give a fine speed control.

Comment

We have a VFD on our drill press. I hooked up a foot switch and a three position toggle switch. Left gets you the splindle turning clockwise when you press the foot switch so it is a safety for drilling. Center is off and to the right the spindle start up in reverse. With a tap held in a tap chuck you bring the tap right down to the hole and won't grab but will center. Press the pedal and it comes to a stop and then turns clockwise and drives the tap. At depth of if you get scared, take your foot off the pedal and it reverses right out. Very well controlled and a pleasure to use. You soon find yourself turning the speed way up as small taps work great at a couple thousand RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
                  You don't need a VFD to reverse a three phase motor. A drum switch or a couple of three pole magnetic contactors will do it a lot cheaper and with perfect long term reliability. A VFD will reverse the motor and give a fine speed control.
                  You are right in three phase, but the mill in question is wired as a single phase machine. Running the motor in three phase via a VFD will give full label power, soft start, variable speed, braking and instant reverse, with the prices of small VFD's being quite reasonable these days it is the way I would go.
                  I have had two FB2's one was three phase and the other single phase they both had the same motor. The one running on single phase just used a capacitor to start the motor on one phase and then was running on single phase on the other two phases at reduced motor power, I suppose if one switched two phases it would reverse like a three phase motor but I have not tried this.

Werner

Comment

I just tapped a slew of holes in my Emco mill drill without reversing the mill by using a tapping head. The head reverses direction of rotation when you withdraw the tap.

Comment

Working...
                    X