X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't let the smoke out

Saw this today on the bandsaw motor.

TO PREVENT MOTOR BURNING PLEASE NOTE
    Once switch on the motor shall starts up In less than one second otherwise switch off in no time.

There you have it, no need for the chinese motors to burn.

We are please to you buying! our product.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I know it'll probably get me hung, but I wonder what English warnings look like to foreign laborers like you and me.

I've seen American produced machinery that was originally exported then ended up back here....with the exception of a couple of universal symbols (hand crush hazard, do not stand on etc.) all other pertinent safety info was in English.

On the other hand the German machines and Japanese stuff had way more symbols and warnings usually in three different
    languages.

I don't know....fire away.

John

Comment

Anyone who thinks that the standard european symbols have universal meaning..........well, they are obviously a west european with a bad case of eurocentric viewpoint.

Think any differently, have a non-western europe background, and some of the symbols are meaningless, or even directly offensive and insulting.

Europeans have their own version of the "No va" (Chevy Nova) problem.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

I saw a attractive woman try to explain to a mexican guy about insurance..

She said : Money if you die goes to your wife.. He pushed her out of his way and said, NO I don't want to die for money.. and left..

I laughed.. communication barrier..

why is this motor not protected as per the NECA for american products? Fractional hp motors are exempt I am sure.. but there are restrictions upon overload devices. My bandsaw has a pushbutton overload on it.

------------------
        David Cofer, Of:
        Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

I might be wrong or Eurocentric, but a picture of a hand being crushed between two rollers, and a man standing on something with an interdiction bar over it was an example of what I meant.

I didn't mean European symbols, I'm not quite sure what that term even means....but there's a good chance I wouldn't understand some of them as I'm not European.

I don't claim to know too much, just giving an opinion.

John

Comment

Hey -- mixed up as it is, it's better English than any attempt I might make at Chinese.....
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Reminds me of some of the type of things you'd see here: http://www.engrish.com/

One of the things that sticks out in my mind was a fire escape sign that said "FIRE TRAP!"

Comment

This is good. I found one there for a food place that said "Born to be Chicken".

Comment

The following is a telephone exchange between hotel guest and room-service at a hotel in Asia, which was recorded and published in the Far East Economic Review......
                  Room Service (RS): "Morny. Ruin surbees"
                  Guest (G) "Sorry, I thought I dialled room-service"
                  RS: "Rye. Ruin surbees..morny! Djewish to ordor sunteen?
                  G: "Uh. Yes. I'd like some bacon and eggs"
                  RS: Ow July den?"
                  G: "What?"
                  RS: "Ow July den?..pry, boy, pooch?"
                  G: "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry. Scrambled please."
                  RS: "Ow July dee bayhcem...crease?"
                  G: "Crisp will be fine."
                  RS: "Hokay. An San tos?"
                  G: "What?"
                  RS: "San tos. July San tos?"
                  G: "I don't think so."
                  RS: "NO? July one toes??"
                  G: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'july one
                  toes' means."
                  RS: "Toes! toes!..why djew Don Juan toes? Ow bow slinglish moppin
                  we bother?"
                  G: "English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast'. Fine.
                  Yes, and English muffin will be fine."
                  RS: "We bother?"
                  G: "No..just put the bother on the side."
                  RS: "Wad?"
                  G. "I mean butter..just put it on the side."
                  RS: Copy?"
                  G: "Sorry."
                  RS: "Copy..tea..mill?"
                  G: "Yes. Coffee please, and that's all."
                  RS: "One Minnie. Ass ruin torino fee, strangle ache, crease
                  baychem, tossy singlish moppin we bother honey sigh, and copy...rye?"
                  G: "Whatever you say"
                  RS: "Tenjewberrymud."
                  G: "You're welcome."

If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

Yes,it will be fun if we ever do find aliens Remember "To serve man"

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-18-2004).]
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                    X