Aloris tool post questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloris tool post questions

I'm in the market for a better BXA (series 200) QCTP.

I noticed the one below from MSC appears to have a "sticker" rather than a "data plate". Is this some lesser grade of Aloris, or is that how they come nowadays?

Also, I've read that Aloris wedge type tool posts can bend cheap tool holders. Anyone else heard of such a thing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aloris-10-t...f51e%7Ciid%3A1

Hmm. Haven't seen that before. It is also a low quality photo that does not allow zoom in. It might be etched, laser or otherwise. The photos on their site are also limited.

I would call Aloris and ask them about the change, how it is labeled, when that change happened. And, more importantly, if there have been any other production revisions. Companies sometimes have stuff made overseas but then assemble here and do not disclose it. Not saying they are doing that, but it would not be a first.

I'm sure Aloris is under a lot of pressure to lower prices vs. the many import copies, and Dorian.

Comment

I can get the picture of the circular logo up to about 1 1/2" diameter on my monitor, I cannot see any sticker, it looks like laser etching to me. Looks like Clifton, New Jersey, and USA MADE.

Comment

I belive that logo is laser etched onto the relieved surface. Not a sticker.

Comment

that Ebay listing is so generic, and so fuzzy, that I say why bother with it?
          Go to any number of other good online sellers and just buy it.
          Have you bought from Allindustrial.com? I have good luck with them

https://allindustrial.com/

here you go, I clicked on BXA and this is what I got:
          https://allindustrial.com/search/?q=bxa

Comment

Tool post from Ajaxtoolsupply On eBay is drop shipped from Aloris. Direct from the factory in Clifton NJ. I found out when buying a cut off tool holder. Shipped fast, on arrival would not fit my Chinese tool holder. Called the number on the Package to arrange return which they agreed but suggested I speak to tech first.

Tech rep said the fits can be different no standards on Tool post, and offered to modify the holder to fit my post. Mailed it with my post, back in a week works prefect no charge. The Aloris quality is very noticeable side by side comparison with my Chinese tool holder. On the phone rep said everything Aloris is US made no import components .

When I was shopping on eBay some of the Aloris listings looked suspect. Ajax Price nearly the same. Good choice.

Boats
            Last edited by boats; 03-05-2019, 07:07 AM. Reason: Spell

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
              Also, I've read that Aloris wedge type tool posts can bend cheap tool holders. Anyone else heard of such a thing?
              Typical statement made by the snoots. The holders I got from CDCO would probably break the wedges out of any tool post if you went ape-monkey on it. Or bend the lever. They are rock hard. When I cut the roller flanges off a push knurler to adapt my pinch knurler, I had to use a friction blade and it was work.

I think you'd have a tough time bending them with a sledge hammer.

Comment

Update:
                You must know there are several manufacturers of the Aloris copies. The ones I have are stamped with the holder number and NOT just printed on. The CDCO versions are what I consider the premium copies. You won't bend those. Can't say for the others.

Comment

Thing about anything Chinese there are no quality standards . They build to price, somebody comes along asking for a cheaper version they will supply it. That’s why you can’t make blanket statements about Chinese quality. US importer with a good reputation and some inspection procedure in place can spec it and sell quality products. Same manufacturer asked to duplicate the products for less by another importer will do it in a flash.

I think they learned build to price from large American Importers. WalMart and others famous for telling suppliers what they will pay. Manufacturer then figures out how to do it.

Boats

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
                    I'm in the market for a better BXA (series 200) QCTP.

I noticed the one below from MSC appears to have a "sticker" rather than a "data plate". Is this some lesser grade of Aloris, or is that how they come nowadays?

I am not aware of any lesser grade of Aloris. My genuine Aloris nameplate is bonded with adhesive rather than riveted. The nameplate and attachment seem plenty robust. I have Aloris, Phase II, and no-name Asian BXA posts and blocks. The ring at the base of the no-name post is oversize on its bearing, so the handle is sloppy. It still works, but not nicely. The Aloris and Phase II are about equal in operation, and the Aloris has a slight edge in fit and finish. The tool blocks all interchange well except for one genuine Aloris, which, if anything, is too loose and allows the handle to rotate too far before it locks up.

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
                      I have Aloris, Phase II, and no-name Asian BXA posts and blocks. The ring at the base of the no-name post is oversize on its bearing, so the handle is sloppy. It still works, but not nicely. The Aloris and Phase II are about equal in operation, and the Aloris has a slight edge in fit and finish.
                      Thats basically my sitch cept my red plate has two rivets. Aloris on the 10EE and PHII on the 10L.

And about 30 CDCO holders. JR

Comment

I don't understand or trust any E-Bay ad with poor quality photos. E-Bay does limit the quality of the photos, but NOT to that degree. And you can use a bunch of them at no extra cost. At least I can and I am not a big seller there - not by any means.

Modern, and I am going back at least 10 years or more here, cameras do not produce such poor resolution photos. They just don't. There isn't even a way that you can set them that way. My first, $75 digital camera gave me at least a 5 or 6 MegaPixel photo and they looked great compared to the one in that ad. I used it for E-Bay ads and they also looked great, not fuzzy like that ad. The person or company that posted that ad MUST have deliberately lowered the resolution. Why would they do that? The only reason I can think of is to HIDE something.

I do not trust E-Bay ads or any ads on other internet platforms that have fuzzy photos like that. I say just don't buy from them. Look elsewhere.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

The OP's post was an ebay ad listed by MSC Industrial Supply. Maybe not the first choice source for most. But would consider MSC a reputable supplier.

Comment

$390? That's almost as much as I paid for my entire lathe!

400x282 pixels, 11.5 kB. Seems adequate. Directly from the MSC website:
                            https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn...+post&_sacat=0
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                              $390? That's almost as much as I paid for my entire lathe!
                              ...and that's the best price I've found!

Comment

Working...
                              X