Aloris tool post questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
    ...and that's the best price I've found!
    If you are looking for a QCTP, I think a lot of folks here have "Phase II" posts and they seem to like them. If I wanted a QCTP, I'd probably buy one if buying new.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      $390? That's almost as much as I paid for my entire lathe!

Paul, Your $400 lathe sure could use a toolpost, that's for sure.

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Is that hand scrapped?

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
          Is that hand scrapped?
          I think the only place it's scraped is on the bottom--Where it touches the concrete.

Comment

Bought my Aloris cut off tool holder because I was fed up with the Chinese tool holder. Soft metal would not hold the HSS blade in place reliably. Using the Aloris a few days now. It’s probably five times better than that piece of no name Chinese junk.

My tool post is a Phase II it’s a good post no issues. They retail for about 2/3 Aloris price (AXA) buying again I think 100 more bucks for Aloris probably worth it.

Boats

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              If you are looking for a QCTP, I think a lot of folks here have "Phase II" posts and they seem to like them. If I wanted a QCTP, I'd probably buy one if buying new.
              It looks like MSC is the only seller of Phase II? I wanted some Phase II toolholders and MSC was the only source I found, at $70 or so. Generic holders are all over Amazon for about $18, but they are longer. I'd love to get some of the shorter ones, but I can't say that 't's worth an extra $50 each.

Comment

I've been using a Phase II wedge AXA for more than 20 years. Completely satisfied.

I made four or five additional tool holders - not at all difficult.

-js
                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post
                  It looks like MSC is the only seller of Phase II? I wanted some Phase II toolholders and MSC was the only source I found, at $70 or so. Generic holders are all over Amazon for about $18, but they are longer. I'd love to get some of the shorter ones, but I can't say that 't's worth an extra $50 each.
                  Travers tool sells Phase II : https://www.travers.com/wedge-type-q...elistname=SITE

RWO

Comment

Aloris tool post questions

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                    I've been using a Phase II wedge AXA for more than 20 years. Completely satisfied.

I made four or five additional tool holders - not at all difficult.

-js
                    I just finished rough machining out 17 AXA tool post for a friend/subscriber. He picked up some A36 and I machined one side and the dovetail,rough sawed them out. He then will finish the rest out on his Smitty. Like most things if your a hobbiest you don’t count your time just the cash outlay. He will have 17 tool holders for the cost of 10.

My self I was glad to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
                      He picked up some A36 and I machined one side and the dovetail,rough sawed them out. He then will finish the rest out on his Smitty.
                      I'm sure he'll appreciate your help for years to come.

Having a bunch of nice HSS mounted for immediate on your small lathe is a treat. It is a good project to learn on, and the result is a bunch of shop made tools you'll use for the rest of your life. It is also one of those "the sooner you do it, the more use you'll get out of it" things. When I made mine in the 90's, prices for cheap holders didn't seem very cheap, maybe because internet competition wasn't a thing.

It's kind of a fun project to setup. You can cut the tool slot along the entire length of a 2 or 3' piece of material. Then, if you wanted, you could gang a few of those together on the table and cut multiple dovetails in each pass.

If you have access to a CNC mill, better still.. Or just buy them, since they are quite cheap these days. But you'd want to inspect each one closely upon arrival, and might need to upgrade the fasteners.

Comment

Glug

To get the most out that piece of material, my friend laid out the blank. What we did was to saw the material into 2 blank tool holders then I fly cut and cut the dovetail in the blank. Then we sawed each blank into two blanks.

My friend then took them to his shop to square them up, then start cutting the tool slots out.

Milking the dovetails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X