Surface Grinder Table Power Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Grinder Table Power Feed

I picked up this WMC Model GSG-612 surface grinder at an auction with a missing table feed wheel. I got this idea to add a power feed to the table from a video on You Tube of a Delta surface grinder with a similar setup. The drive motor on the Delta grinder was mounted to the table and traveled back and forth with it, I thought it would be better to have the drive motor stationary and not move with the table.

Here is the mount for the drive motor.

I used a Dayton 6Z915 90V DC 1/20HP Gearmotor for the drive. I machined the bottom of the saddle to attach the brackets for the drive motor mount and used a sliding arm attachment on the motor shaft to vary the stroke length.

I used a KB Electronics KBWM-120 DC motor control to run the gearmotor and vary the speed.

Bump. Got stuck in moderation filter.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

Wow, that took some whittlin' and mechanican'. That is cool but I'm not sure I understand all I know about your setup. The crank arm moves the table back and forth through that rod?

Added:
      You've been here almost 6 years and have 8 posts? Come on man, we want to see more of your stuff!
      CCWKen
      Last edited by CCWKen; 03-04-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

well done.....now you need a synchronized feed on the Z and you can go make something else while things spark out
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

That is a pretty slick setup.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            Wow, that took some whittlin' and mechanican'. That is cool but I'm not sure I understand all I know about your setup. The crank arm moves the table back and forth through that rod?

Added:
            You've been here almost 6 years and have 8 posts? Come on man, we want to see more of your stuff!
            The rod has a heim joint on the end and that is attached to the table. The rotary motion of the crank arm is turned into linear motion through the rod.

Comment

nice.... good job!

Comment

Just a question, does the speed varying through the motion cause uneven finish or is it linear enough?

Comment

Originally posted by slamadeleine View Post
                  Just a question, does the speed varying through the motion cause uneven finish or is it linear enough?
                  The part in the video has a consistent finish across the surface. I've only played with this machine for a short time. I'm new to surface grinding. I don't know if the finish will stay consistent with different speeds or stroke lengths. I'll have to do more testing.

Comment

oh, ok. I didn't see the video the first time around. My browser doesn't show in-line/in-post videos. All I see is a blank area. Plain as day now.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                      That is a pretty slick setup.
                      I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by slamadeleine View Post
                        As long as the travel is much greater than the part length, as in the video, the speed across the workpiece will be pretty consistent. Toward the end of travel there will be a greater variatiion in speed of travel.
                        North Central Arkansas

Comment

That's a really good job of designing and setting it up.

From my experience with surface grinders I'd go for a faster travel back and forth on the table and more like a quarter turn or less on the feed into the wheel. When the wheel dwells very long on one place it builds up heat there and the differential expansion will bow the part up toward the wheel. When all cools down you may find some depression in the middle.

Really nice.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I only see one thing wrong.

All the gizmo stuff is on the dirty side.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                              I second that.
                              I third that.
                              Very neat. Kudos.

Comment

Working...
                              X