Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partially OT: Microsoft(?) Spelling Checker Anti Machinist Bias

Rant Mode ON!

I must confess that spelling is not one of my strong points. I was told that they were employing a new method when I was in grammar school. But it is more likely my problem. Whatever? I do depend a lot on the spelling checker that is built into my computer (Microsoft?)

So, why is it so wanting in the words that we need to employ in the machining field. I just responded to a post and used the word "bandsaw". It showed up as an error. Since I am aware that this is not one of my strengths, I looked up the work on the web as I usually do. Sure enough, I had spelled it correctly. So I had to use the "Add to dictionary" option.

But, with all the other things that the computer world spies on, why doesn't Microsoft or whoever maintains these spelling checkers look at the additions made by the users and incorporate them in an update? I can't believe that I am the first one to add the correct spelling of that word. I say that Microsoft or whoever has an anti-machining bias. I'm calling them on that.

OK, Rant Mode OFF!
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

I've added quite a few words to my "spellchecker" (miss-spelchecker) over the years. sometimes I just ignore it when I know I'm right like bandsaw . Yep! it's red underlined. :-)
    ...lew...

Comment

The brain-dead spell checker on this and other metalworking sites flags 'collet' as a misspelling. Spell checkers are really only useful for finding typos that don't form real words (e.g. teh for the).

Download DocPad and use it to compose your replies. It has a very good spell checker, probably linked to a quality dictionary.

Whatever you do, don't use an autocorrector and make yourself look like a complete fool with the resulting butchered writing.
      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Um... If you're getting a spell-check red-underline in a post to a discussion board like this one, that's in your browser, not the website or Microsoft. The browser has a library of words for the spell-checker, but like any other library, it's not necessarily complete or fully comprehensive. In my case (recently updated Firefox) bandsaw is underlined, but band saw isn't. So is scrollsaw sabresaw and tablesaw. Jigsaw, oddly enough, isn't.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I seem to see 'bandsaw' and 'band saw' with about equal frequency (...just now the one word form was flagged and 'band saw' was not), so I'm never sure which form to try first.

But while we're ranting... I think the internet, in permitting everyone, regardless of english composition abilities, to get their scribblings before us, has contributed greatly to the dumbing down of our (collective) writing and spelling. In a hundred years we'll be back to the cave drawings with our icons.

I've always seen an irony in that we progressed from cave drawings to a written language, and have in the last 20 or 30 years started going backwards, with computer use of the icons.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
            I've always seen an irony in that we progressed from cave drawings to a written language, and have in the last 20 or 30 years started going backwards, with computer use of the icons.
            A-Men to that. And in addition the use of icons on an instrument, like even a phone, is ridiculous(I did use the checker on that word) . most of the idiots that come up with the icons must have never had to try and figure out what they mean.
            ...lew...

Comment

It's not that hard to add words to the spell-checker. Just right-click and add, if you are sure you have it right. I only wish I could have transferred my updated dictionary from my Win8 machine to this Win10 laptop. There probably is a way to do that.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/tran...ter-78755.html

Firefox also has a way to sync browsers on multiple machines.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Firefox-Sync

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar..._synchronizers
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                A-Men to that. And in addition the use of icons on an instrument, like even a phone, is ridiculous(I did use the checker on that word) . most of the idiots that come up with the icons must have never had to try and figure out what they mean.
                ...lew...
                And all too often it isn't an icon printed in a contrasting color, but rather embossed on a black (shiny) surface!
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

This same rant applies to any spellchecker used for any area of technology. I've been "educating" my own spell checker for some years now through the "add word to dictionary" off a right click. It's MOSTLY gotten up to speed... until I add another hobby....

Spend a bit of time for a few days right clicking and adding what you know is the proper terms to the dictionary. Sooner than you think it'll be up to speed.
                  Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                    I seem to see 'bandsaw' and 'band saw' with about equal frequency (...just now the one word form was flagged and 'band saw' was not), so I'm never sure which form to try first.

But while we're ranting... I think the internet, in permitting everyone, regardless of english composition abilities, to get their scribblings before us, has contributed greatly to the dumbing down of our (collective) writing and spelling. In a hundred years we'll be back to the cave drawings with our icons.

Especially hard for me as Finnish language is riddled with compound words that dont' exist in English.
                    Like "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliup seerioppilas" that would translate as aeroplane turbojet engine assistant mechanic, non-commissioned officer, in training.

Comment

All such things are horrible at technical terms unless made fir the purpose.

That is not the only fault in the MS spellchecker.... Some of the "suggested words" are crazy, seeming to deliberately avoid the obvious every-day word that has been "fat fingered" into a wrong spelling. A nuisance, because then you have to click in the bad spot, and manually type the corrections, instead of just clicking "yeah, that's what I meant", and going on.

There is a general anti-technical bias in pretty much all of life. If it hasn't got to do with TV, movie stars, or fashions, most people just do not want to know about it, apparently. I fault the advertising folks, and "entertainment media", for causing that bias. I do not buy the idea that they are "only following their customers desire".... I think they MOLDED the "customer's desires".

No that is not political, it is sociological......
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                        Especially hard for me as Finnish language is riddled with compound words that dont' exist in English.
                        Like "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliup seerioppilas" that would translate as aeroplane turbojet engine assistant mechanic, non-commissioned officer, in training.
                        That is even worse than the one a fellow I use to work with used ever now and then. I don't remember the word but it was what he said was German for something like "The man who sweeps between the rail road tracks" . :-)
                        ...lew...

Comment

I remember the professor in my first German course, in explaining the German language way of stringing together small words to make the more complex, used as an example the word for acoustical insulation.
                          Translated literally: "sound gobbling-up stuff."
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                            That is even worse than the one a fellow I use to work with used ever now and then. I don't remember the word but it was what he said was German for something like "The man who sweeps between the rail road tracks" . :-)
                            ...lew...
                            We also have conjugations to add a bit of extra complexity if compound words are not enough

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              Rant Mode ON!

I must confess that spelling is not one of my strong points. I was told that they were employing a new method when I was in grammar school. But it is more likely my problem. Whatever? I do depend a lot on the spelling checker that is built into my computer (Microsoft?)

So, why is it so wanting in the words that we need to employ in the machining field. I just responded to a post and used the word "bandsaw". It showed up as an error. Since I am aware that this is not one of my strengths, I looked up the work on the web as I usually do. Sure enough, I had spelled it correctly. So I had to use the "Add to dictionary" option.

But, with all the other things that the computer world spies on, why doesn't Microsoft or whoever maintains these spelling checkers look at the additions made by the users and incorporate them in an update? I can't believe that I am the first one to add the correct spelling of that word. I say that Microsoft or whoever has an anti-machining bias. I'm calling them on that.

OK, Rant Mode OFF!
                              You've made the assumption that anyone at Microsoft actually knows how to spell...or speak.
                              Preponderance of the evidence does not support that theory.
                              Len

Comment

Working...
                              X